Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oldertruckguy-9225

slice of small town America

2 posts in this topic

Spent Thanksgiving weekend in Gunnison with family.  A wonderful Thanksgiving Day. The next day, I once again experienced "Black Friday" Gunnison style.  Friday morning the locals turn out to help the street crew put up all the Christmas decorations all along the streets. The city provides coffee and pastries.

Friday night the local Ace Hardware has " ladies' night". A big deal!! Yes, Ace Hardware. There was tons of food, drink. The High School choirs and Jr, High School choirs sang, The High School orchestra played. Several church choirs sang. Of course, there was a sing along. At 8:00 we all walked to the main intersection in town, Highway 50 and Tomiche Blvd and watched the "planting" of the town Christmas tree. Not lighting. Planting. 

Saturday there was a parade. Loved it!! It wasn't Macys' but it was a parade, about 2 blocks long. Saturday night the tree in the center of town was lite. More choirs, sing Along's. It is a big deal in Gunnison to see who gets the honor of flipping the switch lighting the tree. Tree lite, we then spent several fun hours in one of my all-time favorite local taverns.  Darts, beers, singing, friends. I am blessed!

That sounds so wholesome! Such a blessing to enjoy the small things! 💜