Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
milehijas

Texting scam to steal email passwords

1 post in this topic

Please be aware of this scam to hack emails that I just reported and confirmed with Google:

Text message from # 949 522-7288 saying that Gmail just received a request to reset your password from another device. In my case it actually said 'will's iphone'. Asks for a Y or N reply if you made the request. When you say N, it says it will send you a verification code which you should copy and paste into this text to proceed. The verification code comes from another number: 22000. This all looks very legit. When you send the code it asks you to reply with your account password. BIG RED FLAG! I immediately changed my password, check my security and recovery settings, checked devices that accessed my account recently, checked my recovery email for notifications because I believed this was a scam, so...

I just got off the phone w/ Google and wanted to share this info. That text message was not from Google. It was a scam to collect passwords. Google customer support confirmed that they will NEVER ask for a password via a text message, and they will always email first via your recovery account if someone has tried to hack your account. They only text you when you request it, and their texts would come from an 800 number. NEVER share your email password with anyone. Google and other email providers will NEVER ask you to. I know of one provider who has already fallen for this scam. I am naturally skeptical b/c I worked in technology most of my life.

These are crazy times. Be aware and stay safe!