Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Running with Scissors

This is a must read!

2 posts in this topic

Came across this recently published article today. It is a lengthy piece, but well worth the time invested. I am curious what your opinions on this subject may be? As far as I am concerned it's sad that we continue placing mutual and consensual activities behind shadows and dogma.

http://reason.com/archives/2016/09/09/the-truth-about-us-sex-trafficking

My thoughts are that Elizabeth Nolan Brown has some good sex worker friends that live and work in Seattle, both with the initials M.M. It's a well written thought out piece for sure and there are definitely some trafficking myths but there is more than meets the eye when it comes to the take down of The Review Board and the busts of online groups.

TNA the other local PNW board had some interesting reactions to the seizure of TRB.They were happy to see it go and not shocked by the news. The Review Board was a very selective board, only providers with a certain look and status were allowed to advertise. The only agencies that were allowed to advertise were K-Girls and other Asian agencies. There is also suspicion (and possibly some proof but I am not privy to it) that SWOP Seattle was working with LE to help bring down The Review Board. But when shit went south SWOP immediately denied any involvement. SWOP was also very quick to silence anyone who wasn't as angry as they were about the loss of the site.

The Review Board is a shitty example of the oppression. It was an ugly site. It wasn't inclusive and the evidence for trafficking and other unsavory behavior is stacked against them. The take down of Rent Boy is a sad story. That was a sad loss in the adult site world.

What I really believe is that the sex work community needs to acknowledge that there is a certain amount of trafficking. We can fight the myths and the inflated numbers while still realizing that there are real victims. We must not protect our high end sites at the expense and the struggles of real victims.