Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
clear

spam txt in EB post? Totally confused.

3 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

As you can see by my stats under my avatar on the left, been around for a long time but rarely post. Not too into "+1" or "me too" replies and just about everything has been said on a topic by the time I actually log in every month or so to get my fix. I should do it more often since many threads are hilarious and/or informative. Anyway, got a weird one I would like some input on from the experts here I've grown to trust.

I usually stick with a small group of providers and only move on when one retires or moves, etc. I've been visiting one YL for years, Bianca. Well known and reviewed on here for a long time, and she used to work with Alley K, also well known. Since I'd visited her dozens of times, she gave me a direct number so I could reach out when I'm in town, just in case she wasn't posting at the time, etc. That number went dead. I figured she retired. I was sad but decided to move on. I then saw some posts over the last couple weeks on EB for her with her same email but a strange number. No reply on email. I looked up the number (760-615-5165) and it was out of Apple Valley, CA and registered to some dude. I decided what the hell, I have a burner phone so might as well txt. I did, and then got this txt back:

"Check out textPlus, free calling and texting to any number. http://www.textPlus.com"

OK, no way in hell I'm going to that URL unless I go to some public computer or fire up TOR. I've decided to just bail and move on, but I thought it was so strange, I thought I'd better give the community a heads up in case something nefarious was going on here. Thanks for your time.

clear

It's a popular texting app for smartphones. Website is legit. Here is the description from the Google Play store (app market for Android phones):

Description

textPlus is the downloadable alternative to expensive monthly mobile phone plans.

#1 texting and calling app. Always get free text / SMS to anyone in the US or Canada, cheap phone calls to any number in the world. Or message and call other textPlus users for free. It's your choice. Keeping in touch made simple, cheap and hassle free.

textPlus is perfect for:

- Free texts / SMS to any US or Canadian mobile number

- More than just free SMS texting. Get cheap domestic calling and international calling

- New! Set ?n Forget Monthly Subscription: unlimited calling for just $2.99 (US & Canada). Limited time pricing

- Free messaging and free phone calls to the other 70 million textPlus users around the world. Best free messenger

textPlus also lets you do more:

- Turn your tablet into a phone. Text message / SMS and call on your tablet, phone and WiFi device

- WiFi texting and calling

- Travel worry-free with cheap calling so you never have to deal with expensive carrier plans or surprise bills

- Text / SMS back to the US or Canada for free when traveling abroad

- Group texting / messaging

- Save tons of money on your mobile plan

Your Global Phone. Free & cheap phone calls anywhere in the world:

- Make HD-quality phone calls on WiFi. Always works on 3G or 4G connections, too

- Save up to 98% on international calling vs. major carriers and other calling services

- No up-front costs, contracts or hidden fees

One textPlus account across all of your screens:

- Your textPlus inbox lives in the cloud, so your texts / SMS and phone calls are always in sync

- Phone calls and texting on any of your devices

Want exclusive access to upcoming releases of textPlus? Join our Google+ Community and become a beta tester. Visit http://www.textplus.com/androidbeta/ and gain access to new features before everyone else.

FOLLOW TEXTPLUS

www.facebook.com/textplus

www.twitter.com/textplus

Questions? Email support@textplus.com

I've spent some time in, let's call it, the "alternative social media" arena. Kik and WhatsApp come up quite a bit, but I've never heard of textPlus.