cowboyching

Power Exchange

1 post in this topic

Interpersonal relationship dynamics are fascinating to me. All of us are constantly communicating something. Strength. Weakness. Uncertainty. Confidence. Ambivalence. Compassion. Interest. Even disinterest. And…the verbal and nonverbal are equally profound.

Much of my world communicates without words. One significant portion, is an equine world whose power exchanges are both, intense and subtle. At least subtle to the inexperienced outsider. When a 1,000 lb. mare communicates disapproval, it is wise to respect her communication. At the same time...one need not over react. 

A curious dynamic in an equine herd, is understood by simply seeing who moves their feet. It sounds simple and in many ways it is. The power exchange goes a bit like this: Whoever moves their feet lost. It’s a complex and subtle game of chicken. When I approach my herd (or any horse), authority is understood by who caused the other to move their feet. 

Personally, my inner truth is manifested in my intent to communicate compassionate and benevolent authority...whether the context is horse...dog...cat...animal...even human. Of course, most animals know this before one ‘steps’ into their ‘space’. Humans sense and know it equally, too. 

An apt analogy is ‘dance’. In the world where your counterpart outweighs you 5 to 10 times, or has canine teeth made for ripping flesh, or claws that scratch like fire, it is fascinating to observe the dance...even if you are a part of the tango. 

Human relational dances are actually more fascinating. The power exchanges are complex and nearly always centered around satisfying perceived needs. I am not an expert in the ASP world, nor in sociology, However, I have put ‘ten thousand hours’ + into ‘bedroom relationships’. It’s a glorious dance when consensual and mutually satisfying. Always though...there is an exchange of power...energy...resources...money. 

It is snowing today...lol...and my ‘wordless world’ leaves me with contemplation. That of course leads to written words...expressed energy. Some suggest that a good ‘dance’ between the sheets would contextualize my silly thoughts and liberate me. I feel rather grateful that the play of words produces clarity. Wherever you might ‘dance’ today...hopefully it is satisfying and productive. Remember: ‘Give til it hurts.’ 😎