mustang

Why is uber "better" than a taxi?

15 posts in this topic

I did not want to hijack an existing thread, but why do folks prefer Uber over a taxi cab?  When I need transportation that requires 3 stops, I hail a cab, tell the driver the three stops I want to make, and in which order, and the cabby waits at each stop for me to come back and go to the next.  The meter keeps running and when my "trip" is completed, I pay the meter, provide the appropriate tip and go on my way.  Based on what I read earlier, it is far more complex to do the same trip with an Uber.   Am I missing something?

Edited by mustang
typo

The difference is the price, cabs are expensive, Alain since Uber came in to Denver so you see many cabs around?

6 hours ago, stevie-2249 said:

The difference is the price, cabs are expensive, Alain since Uber came in to Denver so you see many cabs around?

I don't live in Denver and based on my last experience (non hobby) a I am not likely to even visit anywhere west of I-25 anytime soon,  The question was a generic one.  I \t has been many years since I was reliant on anyone for transportation, I am now either driving to my destination or I rent a vehicle when I get to my destination.  It just seemed a bit like a cluster fuck tha way I was reading about how you have to arrange for a multiple stop trip with uber.

19 hours ago, mustang said:

When I need transportation...I hail a cab,

Am I missing something?

Certainly so in NYC, Chicago or some other east coast metropolis.  In Denver, you'll likely hail a hearse before a cab. 

It’s the price point, convenience, and they actually show up, when they say their going to show.

Uber is actually very easy to use for passengers and you don't have to wait more that 5-10 minutes typically for an Uber whereas a taxi you may wait 2-3 hours and pay more.

Adding multiple stops in Uber is very easy through the Uber app.  When you are requesting a ride in the Uber app, you have the option at your finger tips to add stops.

i have a lot to say about this, but you'll probably have to ask me in person.  i definitely encourage most anyone to use more modes of transportation than they currently do.

Since I stopped driving I have become very dependent on Uber/Lyft for transportation. I feel like it would be impossible for me to get on a normal bus because of my vision. Uber and Lyft are not perfect. However front door pick up and drop off works great for my needs. I don’t see Taxi very often anymore. 

I have, literally, never used an Uber in my life. When I'm in an unfamiliar city, I use a cab. I mean, how did people get around before Uber? 

On 7/1/2023 at 2:31 AM, 2Big said:

I have, literally, never used an Uber in my life. When I'm in an unfamiliar city, I use a cab. I mean, how did people get around before Uber? 

Taxis are fading out. I think there are a few private companies still around. If you have a smartphone? Download Lyft and Uber apps into your phone along with your info! banking. Use a credit card not yan our debit cardI You ca purchase Uber/Lyftgift card to use. Someone gave me  a Uber gift card as a tip just recently🤩

10 hours ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

Taxis are fading out. I think there are a few private companies still around. If you have a smartphone? Download Lyft and Uber apps into your phone along with your info! banking. Use a credit card not yan our debit cardI You ca purchase Uber/Lyftgift card to use. Someone gave me  a Uber gift card as a tip just recently🤩

Don't use your debit card use a credit card or get a card use a credit card or  a disposable download card. There is too much out there in the world and the thieves would love to get ahold of your Banking information

Edited by Kali Sensual Reiki

I've yet to use Uber/Lyft... Also have not used any of the food delivery services yet either

I believe utilizing Uber is more cost-effective and safer compared to taking a traditional taxi.

Edited by Veronicaturbay

I find Uber/Lyft more convent and responsive than taxis.  Safer? IDK

Uber and Lyft run background and driving records checks on all drivers once a year.

Additionally, once a week when I log into Uber to drive, I have to take a picture and submit it before I can go online to drive.