sparkey600

Hobbies Outside of :the HOBBY"

29 posts in this topic

Asking a very personal question here...

What do you like to do outside of our "favorite hobby?"

Me? I love raising tropical fish and corals. Love raising corals and giving them back to people that might otherwise take them from the wild. Over the years I bet I've given over 50 to 100 corals to fellow hobbyists. YAY! Over the years I've raised several thousand fish that I've sold or have given away. Sounds nerdy, I know but so what, I still think  it's cool!  

I also love to scuba dive, I've been to several other countries (12) to pursuer this passion. I might add that I love my Harley Davidson's I have two of them...Mine and my lovely wife's...Love going for a nice ride. My wife puts up with all of my silly (and cool) hobbies especially with the one on here. She is so good to me. My favorite person in the world!

You?

Not nerdy at all Sparky! I used to breed angelfish many years ago.

Up until I hurt my back 6 years ago, I used to bowl on a men’s league, golf a couple times a week, 10-20 mile bike rides when possible and in the gym everyday for a couple hours a night.

Nerdy? Who me? Uh...

My alternative passions are woodworking with traditional (18th/19th century) methods & tools, the study of classical guitar, and travel.  Working on my 2nd fifty of these United States; only the lower 48 and border provinces for the RV though.

17 hours ago, sparkey600 said:

I love raising tropical fish and corals. Love raising corals and giving them back to people that might otherwise take them from the wild. Over the years I bet I've given over 50 to 100 corals to fellow hobbyists. 

That's really cool! I just watched a documentary on the coral bleaching taking place globally. So keep up with raising corals!

My life use to be training and racing, biking and running. Now with my free time. I travel a lot. With the exception of this year.

I have a collective personality, so I collect interesting things. Embarrassed to mention most. As they may seem sophomoric. My collection has spanned over 20 years. Some of my more adult collection is art work. Still find myself picking up a nice bicycle. Maintaining two European cars. And I have a large collection of swiss movement chronographs. I would say a third of those are automatic movement. 

Learning languages(at one time I spoke 5 languages, not including English), volunteering at various organizations, driving my semi at my place of employment, shooting my various firearms.

Love to travel and see different places specially Nature's beauty in all its forms have been to 49 of our national parks, all 50 states, 41 countries and five continents need to work on the rest of the parks and the other two continents. Other than that always willing to try something new😉

I rescue dogs.... more of a passion then a hobby. I’m also rebuilding/restoring an old Piper Super Cub which has been a perfect project during Covid. 

Weight lifting and martial arts, I'm all about the hobbies that release testosterone ;). I used to be a running fool, but my hips and knees had a different opinion on that one. I've also been a gamer for 35 years, and am a fantasy novel junky. 

4 minutes ago, hornyoldtoad said:

dogs, mountains, beaches....

you can take a dog to the mountains, beaches, parks, but please don't take a dog to a maul....

8 minutes ago, hornyoldtoad said:

dogs, mountains, beaches....

pina coladas and getting caught in the rain....

Fishing, hunting, hiking also used to be some of my pleasures.  I gave up hunting many years ago, for my own preferences.

On 8/23/2020 at 8:33 AM, ilovewomen said:

Up until I hurt my back 6 years ago, I used to bowl on a men’s league, golf a couple times a week, 10-20 mile bike rides when possible and in the gym everyday for a couple hours a night.

That's funny kind of, I bread angelfish a long time ago also!

It was fun. I even tried my hand at Discus, but wasn't too successful unfortunately  

11 hours ago, ilovewomen said:

Fishing, hunting, hiking also used to be some of my pleasures.  I gave up hunting many years ago, for my own preferences.

I used to be a hunter years ago.

I gave it up because of "softening" I guess. I would rather, these days just take a picture of wild life than harvest wild life. No offense to active hunters, just how I feel these days.

11 hours ago, Happymon said:

pina coladas and getting caught in the rain....

A perfect hobby.

Rupert Holms would be proud!

On 8/23/2020 at 8:16 PM, 50-DE said:

Learning languages(at one time I spoke 5 languages, not including English), volunteering at various organizations, driving my semi at my place of employment, shooting my various firearms.

Very cool indeed! Keep it up bro!

12 hours ago, Kaduk said:

you can take a dog to the mountains, beaches, parks, but please don't take a dog to a maul....

Most dogs hate Mauls in my humble opinion bro!

On 8/23/2020 at 6:18 PM, parkercole said:

That's really cool! I just watched a documentary on the coral bleaching taking place globally. So keep up with raising corals!

My life use to be training and racing, biking and running. Now with my free time. I travel a lot. With the exception of this year.

I have a collective personality, so I collect interesting things. Embarrassed to mention most. As they may seem sophomoric. My collection has spanned over 20 years. Some of my more adult collection is art work. Still find myself picking up a nice bicycle. Maintaining two European cars. And I have a large collection of swiss movement chronographs. I would say a third of those are automatic movement. 

That seems to me to be a GREAT HOBBY!

I for one would be very interested to know what you like to collect.

I also like to collect coins...damn it's very expensive....I wish I knew more about art work to possibly be a more informed collector. 

23 hours ago, contrails said:

I rescue dogs.... more of a passion then a hobby. I’m also rebuilding/restoring an old Piper Super Cub which has been a perfect project during Covid. 

So cool...

You are doing a lot. Thanks!

12 hours ago, BadBoy said:

NITWwSn.jpg

What kind of yoga is that.

Texas hold 'em. I'm a degenerate gambler in addition to being a pervert. 

I have some aquariums as well. 

On 8/23/2020 at 8:33 AM, ilovewomen said:

I love to mountain bike as well! I've had a couple "magnificent" crashes! haha

I, too have a lot of collections, from coins to native American artifacts. I  also have some silly comic books and love wrist watches.The one I love best is a dive watch that is no longer made.I wear it every day..Reminds me of my diving passion..  Please share your passions here. I'm sure it can't be more "nerdy" than raising corals and tropical fish! HAHAHA!

On 8/28/2020 at 6:19 PM, Gentleman47362 said:

Texas hold 'em. I'm a degenerate gambler in addition to being a pervert. 

I have some aquariums as well. 

What kinds of aquariums have you had?

Wow, so many different hobbies out there, I love it, I used to love to golf and bowl but those cut down on the time I like to ride my motorcycle and go camping. 

Nothing better than to get away from the city, smell a good campfire, gaze up at the stars at night and actually be able to see them!  The smell of the tree's, a good rain while enjoying your favorite cocktail with no TV or phone around. I love not knowing or caring if it's Tuesday or Friday because it just doesn't matter when you're up there!

I miss riding a motorcycle.  I used to ride all the time in the 70's.  Got run off the road one to many times, parked my motorcycle and sold it.  Damn, I miss riding.