gb0138

Covid-19 (2019 novel coronavirus)

145 posts in this topic

This is a live stream that tracks the spread of the Coronavirus around the world with continuous updates.

***Not trying to derail this tread****

HOLY CRAP, NUSA IS ALIVE AND WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

According to this link Arapahoe county hospitals will be overloaded by May 4

I think I’ll stay right where I am in TX.  This county has <120 cases and 0(zero) deaths.  There have been 5 cases and 2 deaths in my CO condo complex.

Edited by Bit Banger

11 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

I think I’ll stay right where I am in TX.  This county has <120 cases and 0(zero) deaths.  There have been 5 cases and 2 deaths in my CO condo complex.

Arapahoe county 718 cases 16 deaths

How to Clean Your Groceries in the Age of Coronavirus, According to Food Safety Experts

Start with clean hands and surfaces

"First up: Schaffner recommends washing or sanitizing your hands as soon as you get home from the store.

Then, you can get to cleaning. In general, it’s just a good idea to be washing your produce thoroughly anyway. “Produce can harbor many harmful bacteria which pose a greater threat to you than coronavirus would in this context,” Dr. Adalja says.

To do so, gently rub your produce while holding it under running water, but soap isn’t necessary or recommended. “There is a toxicity of soap and detergent to consider,” Chapman says. “If there are soap residues on produce and someone has an intolerance to it, that could cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.” Chapman calls the recommendation “silly, without forethought towards food safety, food science, and microbiology.”

If you have a produce brush at home, food safety expert Darin Detwiler, Ph.D., director of the Regulatory Affairs of Food and Food Industries program at Northeastern University, recommends using that to get into any crevices that might be in your produce. “After you clean it, take a paper towel and rub it dry,” he says. “Getting a little friction in there after you clean it is a good idea.” Once you’re done handling your produce, wash your hands again."

Menshealth.com/health/a32052001/how-to-wash-fruit-vegetables

Wash produce just before eating

Similarly to meal prepping, pre-washing a container of berries so they're ready for weekday snacking is a smart strategy, right?

Not according to Chapman.

"It [washing] removes some of the protection that the plant has against mold and yeast to prevent spoilage," he says.

Fruits and vegetables contain phytochemicals, harmless bacteria, and oil that prevent mold and yeast from growing, Chapman explains.

Just use water...

1. Wash all fresh fruits and vegetables with cool tap water immediately before eating. There's no need to use soap or a produce wash.
  2. Gently rub produce while holding under plain running water. For firm produce such as melons and cucumbers, scrub with a clean produce brush.

AARP

Reports of Fake Test Sites for COVID-19 Emerge Across U.S.

"told to pay $240 upfront in cash or give their Medicare or Medicaid cards and Social Security cards to verify their identity."

aarp.org/money/scams-fraud/info-2020/fake-coronavirus-testing-sites.

Trying to catch up with the hobby vs the virus & this thread is an interesting snapshot/timeline/progression.

18 minutes ago, Kaduk said:

06-MORNING-COUNTRY-CASES-articleLarge.pn

Mmmm didn't the protests start around the time of that last major rise in cases?.......

Some of my Canadian friends are already announcing their plans to NOT join us in TX this Fall. 🥵

36 minutes ago, Strange_Ice said:

Mmmm didn't the protests start around the time of that last major rise in cases?.......

It actually shows significant increase around the time of graduation and the massive reopening of bars, restaurants, churches, Trump rallies, and other public places which hit harder in states that denied or downplayed the viral efficacy (Texas being a great example of that last one. Oof). Though I would be willfully lying if I didn’t say the protests also likely had a hand in it since you have large numbers of people gathering. We (you) can probably view several other countries to compare and contrast their increased cases since they too had large protests and would also very likely show a similar uptick, right?  Since the protests happened worldwide that should be easy enough for you to find and support your assertion. 

30 minutes ago, JoDoe27 said:

... in states that denied or downplayed the viral efficacy (Texas being a great example of that last one. Oof). 

Texas was a mixed bag when I left (early June).  In the RGV retail businesses took masks seriously, requiring them for entry.  Some restaurants remained take-out only.  Others had pulled a large number of indoor tables and spread out their outdoor tables.  At one of my favorites the staff wore gloves, masks, and face shields.  Menus were not-time use.  Bars seemed to be a different story.  The one I visited no one wore a mask.  In our senior community, mask we’re required whenever outside our units.  People taking an evening stroll wore their masks.  Hell, even the yard art wore masks.  As I drive N, there were fewer & fewer masks.

But why single out TX?  I was in a CO restaurant yesterday.  The sign on the door clearly stated masks required for entry.  But there at the counter was a couple w/o masks.  Why weren’t they refused service ?!?🤬

9 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

Texas was a mixed bag when I left (early June).  In the RGV retail businesses took masks seriously, requiring them for entry.  Some restaurants remained take-out only.  Others had pulled a large number of indoor tables and spread out their outdoor tables.  At one of my favorites the staff wore gloves, masks, and face shields.  Menus were not-time use.  Bars seemed to be a different story.  The one I visited no one wore a mask.  In our senior community, mask we’re required whenever outside our units.  People taking an evening stroll wore their masks.  Hell, even the yard art wore masks.  As I drive N, there were fewer & fewer masks.

But why single out TX?  I was in a CO restaurant yesterday.  The sign on the door clearly stated masks required for entry.  But there at the counter was a couple w/o masks.  Why weren’t they refused service ?!?🤬

Oh I wish they’d start removing people should they not wear masks if the business demands patrons to do so. So you would need to ask that restaurant why they’re allowing it.  

i don’t know what RGV stands for. 

Texas because the governor fought hard against any shutdown or mask wearing but is now, I’d have to look to see the latest mandate, seeing a dramatic increase in cases and putting more “mandatory” measures in place to make people wear masks vs them doing so if their own volition. Feel free to correct me on that one though. 

@JoDoe27

RGV = Rio Grande Valley of S. TX.  Basically S. Padre Island, upriver past McAllen, to Laredo.

Gov. Abbot left the details of shut down to the County Judges (chief executive in TX) and various Mayors.  Just as Pres. Trump suggested policy, but left it up to the States to implement.  Some locked down hard; some were more lax.

6 hours ago, Strange_Ice said:

rise in cases?.......

editor-2020-07-07.jpg

7 hours ago, Strange_Ice said:

06-MORNING-COUNTRY-CASES-articleLarge.pn

Mmmm didn't the protests start in the EU around the time of that last major drop in cases?.......

#Ifixditforyou

7 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

You wear the mask to enter. Once you have food or drink, you remove the mask, to eat or drink. Once done, you re-apply the mask. That's my M.O.

32 minutes ago, pfunk said:

You wear the mask to enter. Once you have food or drink, you remove the mask, to eat or drink. Once done, you re-apply the mask. That's my M.O.

Exactly!  Wear a mask except at your table.

Do any one knows the idea when this pandemic Covid-19 will end, we loss a lot because of this :( 

My friend was on the vent for a little over 3 weeks.  He's now out of ICU and in a rehab facility working on speech and physical therapy.  He will be on dialysis for the rest of his life.

Wear a fucking mask and do the right things.

Starting this Friday, everyone over 16 is eligible.

In the state of Fl anyone over 18 is eligible.

7 hours ago, NinaAnderson said:

In the state of Fl anyone over 18 s eligible.

Starting April 2 - Friday - in Colorado it is anyone over 16

On 3/29/2021 at 6:04 PM, Ivan128 said:

Starting this Friday, everyone over 16 is eligible.

Coloradans 16 + eligible for vaccination this will be very nice to see.