gb0138

Covid-19 (2019 novel coronavirus)

145 posts in this topic

Wow! If there isn’t enough to worry about with a hobby, add one more to the list. Definitely going to put a damper on things as it evolves. Dang!

30 minutes ago, Don John said:

So far, Covid19 has killed about 3,000 globally. Certainly, more people will die — mostly the aged and those with compromised immune systems. For perspective,  80,000 Americans died last year from plain old influenza, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

Cars kill 36,000 people every year. And yet, we still drive on I25 or I70 in search of love or pussy. And that’s some dangerous action, right there. We all balance risk and reward according to what we want.

Apart from a few seniors and hypochondriacs, I’m not sure there’ll be a big hit to the hobby. I could be wrong. But I also remember the SARS hysteria, and while that was a big deal in Asia, in Colorado...not so much. At all.

Just be sure to wash your hands properly and stay healthy. 

Don't forget that over 100 people die in this country from opioid over dose every single day, and that gets almost no media coverage at all.  No one in this country has ever died from Cocid19 and the news covers it around the clock.

18,000 flu deaths this 2019-2020. Death rate of .1%. Covid death rate is 2%. If that bears out we could see 360,000 US deaths. Thats a chunk. 

No need to be concerned. Vaccine's ....possibly mandatory ones....will appear forthwith.

43 minutes ago, Mustang87 said:

Don't forget that over 100 people die in this country from opioid over dose every single day, and that gets almost no media coverage at all.  No one in this country has ever died from Cocid19 and the news covers it around the clock.

More die of complications of NSAID abuse - over 70,000 a year in the U.S. according to CDC. This never gets reported.

The news business serves itself. Sensationalism in news increases profits and teaches consumers about the essential value of that news product.

Don John's numbers demonstrate how silly we are to be overly concerned about COVID19.

Here is another bit of perspective from under-reported illness. Indeed  between 250,000 and 500,000 people die annually from influenza. 10 million people a year are diagnosed with Tuberculosis...and one and a half million of them die. Additionally, about a half a million people are diagnosed annually with drug resistant TB.......

Don't sell and it won't matter, unless you're one of our perverted grandpas.  In that case, RIP your portfolio, maybe.

Edited by NolaScofflaw

40 minutes ago, NolaScofflaw said:

Don't sell and it won't matter, unless you're one of our perverted grandpas.  In that case, RIP your portfolio, maybe.

Oops.  Sold already. Buying back in later. 

The warmer weather is coming soon and probably just like the common flu, the corona virus will stop for the summer.  They won't have a vaccine by fall but it might just not be a factor next year too.

this will be a community virus by this time next year...

and hopefully vaccines will come soon for those that feel they need them...

There are a few things everyone can do with communicable diseases:

Wash your hands regularly

Cover your mouth when coughing

Eat healthy

Don't smoke

"If you get COVID-19, you’re unlikely to get seriously sick and even less likely to die, especially if you are otherwise healthy."  -  Popular Science

8 hours ago, hornyoldtoad said:

this will be a community virus by this time next year...

What do you mean by “community virus”?  That’s a new term to me.

On 2/27/2020 at 0:04 PM, Don John said:

But I also remember the SARS hysteria, and while that was a big deal in Asia, in Colorado...not so much.

SARS: total of 8,000 cases and 800 deaths over entire course of the epidemic (high mortality rate, but didn't spread much).

COVID-19: total of 87,000 cases total (mostly in China), 2,979 deaths (mostly in China), and 7,155 cases outside China, SO FAR.

COVID-19 looks like the more serious problem from information we have to date.

One thing that may actually make COVID-19 worse than SARS - as an epidemic - is that the large majority of people with the illness show only mild symptoms. But they are "carriers" who then spread the virus to others.

Edited by N6_in_the_village

1 hour ago, Bit Banger said:

I've seen the term "community spread", and that basically means:

When someone catches the virus from someone else (not specifically identified) in their local community. In other words, not from travel to a known "hot spot", and not from contact with a specifically identified person.

18 minutes ago, N6_in_the_village said:

I've seen the term "community spread", and that basically means:

When someone catches the virus from someone else (not specifically identified) in their local community. In other words, not from travel to a known "hot spot", and not from contact with a specifically identified person.

Thank you

14 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

CDC classifies it as more and more difficult to contain at our borders and forecasts it will now spread through the US at the 'community' level...

Like the cold is a community virus and so is the flu...

My gut feeling is that the spread of this virus in the US will mostly depend on how much common sense people use (washing hands, not touching their face, staying away from crowds, etc.).

OMG! We're doomed!  /sarc

Just remember before you start having so much fun popping that bubble wrap...  Remember, the air in it, is from China!!!😳😂

I was reading the recommendations of a virologist whose focused on Corona for years.  Besides the usual advice (WASH YOUR HANDS!!!) he commented that masks don’t protect you from droplets, etc. but rather prevent you from touching your face, which is something we do 90 time/day subconsciously.

On 3/1/2020 at 10:46 AM, hornyoldtoad said:

CDC classifies it as more and more difficult to contain at our borders and forecasts it will now spread through the US at the 'community' level...

Like the cold is a community virus and so is the flu...

Personally I hope the liar in chief catches it. Perhaps it won’t be a hoax then? 🤧

5 hours ago, gb0138 said:

Personally I hope the liar in chief catches it. Perhaps it won’t be a hoax then? 🤧

Personally, I think your comment is disgusting yet so typical of the left. I'd keep an eye for karma with thoughts like that. 

Like everything MSM does, and many fall for, he didn't refer to the "virus" as a hoax but the politicizing from the democrats. 

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/trump-and-the-new-hoax/

3 minutes ago, contrails said:

Personally, I think your comment is disgusting yet so typical of the left. I'd keep an eye for karma with thoughts like that. 

Like everything MSM does, and many fall for, he didn't refer to the "virus" as a hoax but the politicizing from the democrats. 

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/trump-and-the-new-hoax/

I’m sorry that’s not what he said though! If he means to say something else he better damn well say it. You shouldn’t need an interpreter to interpret what the president says.

I travel to China on business and looking my travel records Ive been over there 22 times in the last 4 years so I have some reliable contacts. Today, I finally heard from someone I know over there and I'll tell you up until his text, I was going to be cognizant and careful. However, I'll  be honest, I am scared shitless about this now. I'm not going to rumor monger and post what he said but I do believe we are on the cusp of a very serious pandemic. If what he said is true, and I have no doubt believing him, we are going to be seriously fucked. 

I do not trust the Chinese government at all and we had better get really serious in this country about containment. 

Edited by contrails

9 minutes ago, gb0138 said:

I’m sorry that’s not what he said though! If he means to say something else he better damn well say it. You shouldn’t need an interpreter to interpret what the president says.

I didn't need an interpreter as it was pretty clear to me what he meant and he did clarify. 

1 minute ago, contrails said:

I didn't need an interpreter as it was pretty clear to me what he meant and he did clarify. 

I guess you understand doublespeak. I do notI guess you understand doublespeak. I do not

On 2/27/2020 at 1:47 PM, gb0138 said:

18,000 flu deaths this 2019-2020. Death rate of .1%. Covid death rate is 2%. If that bears out we could see 360,000 US deaths. Thats a chunk. 

i could be wrong. 

but.

the percentage is expressed as the fraction deaths over the total cases.  To get apples to apples you would really need to see the number of deaths the flu caused in its first year expressed as a fraction over the same number of current corona virus cases recorded over the same initial time frame...

i think flu death rates in the early 1900s was about 2%.  and i believe the corana virus is currently about 1.4%

so many more flu cases recorded each year makes the percentage smaller even though the actual number of fatalities is so much higher and truthfully more telling...

i'd be willing to bet an hour with your ATF that you will never see 360,000 deaths in a corona virus season...

but.

i could be wrong.

21 hours ago, hornyoldtoad said:

i could be wrong. 

but.

the percentage is expressed as the fraction deaths over the total cases.  To get apples to apples you would really need to see the number of deaths the flu caused in its first year expressed as a fraction over the same number of current corona virus cases recorded over the same initial time frame...

i think flu death rates in the early 1900s was about 2%.  and i believe the corana virus is currently about 1.4%

so many more flu cases recorded each year makes the percentage smaller even though the actual number of fatalities is so much higher and truthfully more telling...

i'd be willing to bet an hour with your ATF that you will never see 360,000 deaths in a corona virus season...

but.

i could be wrong.

Now WHO is saying the death rate as close to 3.4%. Yikes!!