jaarm

Donation instead of tip?

22 posts in this topic

I never really understood the idea of a cash tip for someone who is determining their own rates anyways. I guess this is just part of this world but usually a tip is supposed to be for a salaried person. I do tip (and tip well) but was recently thinking what if I instead of tipping made a donation to an organization that would seem important to the person based on their website or profile, then give them the confirmation of the donation at the end. 

What would you ladies think about this? Would it be looked negatively on like “Gimme my money, wtf is this?” Or would it be seen positively like wow not only did this person find something important to my heart but also through our time together we did something good for the world?

Curious about your thoughts. 

14 hours ago, jaarm said:

I never really understood the idea of a cash tip for someone who is determining their own rates anyways. I guess this is just part of this world but usually a tip is supposed to be for a salaried person. I do tip (and tip well) but was recently thinking what if I instead of tipping made a donation to an organization that would seem important to the person based on their website or profile, then give them the confirmation of the donation at the end. 

What would you ladies think about this? Would it be looked negatively on like “Gimme my money, wtf is this?” Or would it be seen positively like wow not only did this person find something important to my heart but also through our time together we did something good for the world?

Curious about your thoughts. 

Tips are for a salaried person?? That's the first time I've heard of that. 

7 minutes ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

ya when is that a real thing ,, I don't tip my DR.

But  do tip my hairdresser & nails and other services ppl

26 minutes ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

Yes like if I have my apartment cleaned if it is through a service and they are employees I will tip them. If it’s an independent person that has their own one-person company then their rate reflects what they want for the job, so there’s no point to a tip. In fact before I knew this I tried tipping an independent contractor and I got the tip refused and a lecture in price points. 

Etiquette back in the day was not to tip business owner.  Tip employees (salaried or hourly).

I remember something like that as well. I agree with Gina. I tip my independent hairdresser, my nail people, my snow shoveler, even my babysitter. I don’t feel obligated, but truly enjoy their services, and I know that times are not easy or even comfortable economically in Colorado. I think most of us ladies are very generous and much involved with fundraising and supporting each other during tragedy as well as causes that are important to us. I would advise that if you are inclined to tip, pass it along to directly to the lady. I don’t mean to come off greedy, but expenses (if done correctly) are high, housing is astronomical etc. When I had a job, I was rewarded with a cash bonus based on yearly performance. 

I'd say if you feel the service meet your  expectations then you should give a tip, if it exceeded your expectations you should give a VERY generous tip...We tip at restaurants, hair cuts, car wash, bellboys, Uber drivers, etc, etc but we need to think about whether we should tip a provider who opens herself up to our needs on a daily basis???

Come on gentlemen, if you walk away smiling TIP the ladies!!!

Tipping for good service is just the right thing to do.  Plus, it does build goodwill for subsequent services :)

11 hours ago, jaarm said:

Yes like if I have my apartment cleaned if it is through a service and they are employees I will tip them. If it’s an independent person that has their own one-person company then their rate reflects what they want for the job, so there’s no point to a tip. In fact before I knew this I tried tipping an independent contractor and I got the tip refused and a lecture in price points. 

My experience with housekeepers is they are hourly not salaried. My experience with salaried positions is if they receive a tip, they pass it down to their hourly employees. Just my experience.  Also, I've met several independent contractors in other fields who gladly accept tips. 

The part in bold... 

I doubt you'll ever have an independent provider do this. Why? Although most of us don't expect tips, we graciously accept and appreciate them. It can be a cash tip, a small inexpensive gift, or showered with gifts. We appreciate them. This is an industry where having your individual wants and needs met or exceeded is not necessarily easy to come by. Some gents recognize and reward the ladies who go above and beyond for them with a little extra. Thank you to the sweethearts that do this. We truly appreciate you. ❤

FWIW, most don’t tip, and it’s just fine. It does not affect service on my end. It’s not expected (this is an expensive) hobby. When you continue to come back; that’s better than a tip. ❤️😘🌹

4 hours ago, Audrey Astor said:

When you continue to come back; that’s better than a tip. ❤️😘🌹

That's exactly my view .... if service is good, I'll call her again soon! If not, I won't. I rarely tip otherwise. Usually I've only tipped when it's a new, naive provider who is amazing and who is dramatically underpricing herself.

3 hours ago, fork said:

That's exactly my view .... if service is good, I'll call her again soon! If not, I won't. I rarely tip otherwise. Usually I've only tipped when it's a new, naive provider who is amazing and who is dramatically underpricing herself.

I don't disagree with that logic either, there is no right or wrong answer here it's just personal preference...I like to show appreciation when I think someone goes above and beyond my expectations.  I've had many times I haven't tipped as well.  I've also tipped providers after the fact through p411 when I didn't carry something extra on me at the time.  

I love all you ladies on here and hope you have a great 2020 and help me have one as well!

💋. 😍 

On 2/16/2020 at 7:08 PM, Hunter VanDyke said:

They are known as waiters,waitresses and bartenders. Least I was paid a salary when I was a waiter/bartender in my college years. (as well as tips )

On 2/17/2020 at 7:50 AM, Hunter VanDyke said:

Although most of us don't expect tips, we graciously accept and appreciate them. It can be a cash tip, a small inexpensive gift, or showered with gifts. We appreciate them. This is an industry where having your individual wants and needs met or exceeded is not necessarily easy to come by. Some gents recognize and reward the ladies who go above and beyond for them with a little extra. Thank you to the sweethearts that do this. We truly appreciate you. ❤

As stated in a similar thread,I let the ladies leave with an adult product such as a DVD or a toy from the treasure chest. Never hand me down jewelry  (those should be family heirlooms ) . As others have stated,the best tip is another booking.

7 minutes ago, JRWolfe said:

As stated in a similar thread,I let the ladies leave with an adult product such as a DVD or a toy from the treasure chest. Never hand me down jewelry  (those should be family heirlooms ) . As others have stated,the best tip is another booking.

Just because others have stated it, does not make it the BEST tip. As others have NOT stated, another booking is not always an option. Two examples are...gentleman traveling through for a one time visit which is a common occurrence. Another is some guys prefer variety, and choose not to see the same provider twice.

Even when it is an option to rebook, some Gentleman ENJOY giving gifts to the ladies. Sometimes its cash, sometimes its picking out that special card, or special flower, or candle or scent, or an outfit they'd like their provider to wear, a gift card to their favorite place to shop, or as you give a DVD or toy. Toys are great gifts. ❤ It's something they look forward to. It's not always what happens during the visit. It's the before, during and after that's exciting for some. Not everyone is able to hobby often, and some gents really want to make that rare occasion a special experience. Some gents really just love spoiling ladies. 

I never expect a tip. I never think any more or less of clients based on tipping/gifting. I'm more than happy with my rates, and I'm an appreciative person. I just want both of us to have the best time we can, and if we do, I'm thrilled to get another booking. 😊

49 minutes ago, JRWolfe said:

They are known as waiters,waitresses and bartenders. Least I was paid a salary when I was a waiter/bartender in my college years. (as well as tips )

Working as a waitress in Texas I made like $2/hr plus tips, and employers still wouldn't let me get OT. Lol. I worked as a bartender for private events and I made $12 or $15 an hour plus tips plus overtime pay if I worked over 40 hours. Managing in Retail we had both salaried and hourly employees. There was a difference. Salary did not get paid for OT and hourly did. I guess we see things differently. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Hunter VanDyke

1 hour ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

Not everyone is able to hobby often, and some gents really want to make that rare occasion a special experience. Some gents really just love spoiling ladies. 

With those two sentences,you just summed up my attitude perfectly.

1 hour ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

Working as a waitress in Texas I made like $2/hr plus tips, and employers still wouldn't let me get OT. Lol. I worked as a bartender for private events and I made $12 or $15 an hour plus tips plus overtime pay if I worked over 40 hours. Managing in Retail we had both salaried and hourly employees. There was a difference. Salary did not get paid for OT and hourly did. I guess we see things differently. 🤷‍♀️

Glad my college years of waiter/bartender wasn't in Texas.    As for retail, did that very briefly,but  long enough to get bonuses on top of salary.My late fiance got commissions on top of salary.Guess its just down to where one works.  (During my DJ years,it too was salary plus tips ).

Not tipping as a point of etiquette is probably the exception rather than the rule these days in most business contexts. Here, as a way of saying "thank you for being marvelous," a cash tip seems to speak the precise love language--as does repeat business, of course, which I suppose is tipping of another sort. Personally I prefer giving a gift (a lady's favorite perfume or bottle of whatever fine spirit she prefers to drink or, in a few instances, books), though of course a cash tip is de rigueur if the lady doesn't wear perfume or drink, or read (it happens :)).

Tip?  A whore?  That's ridiculous.  If they do well they'll get repeat business.  I'm sure that's enough of an incentive.

Believe the proper word is “bonus”  some times it’s a basket of fruit at Christmas.  I have worked in the real world most of my life. Rethink your crazy thinking and appreciate your connection with your hired lady my friend. 

Having accompanied various ladies on shopping trips in Vegas and LA, I eye witnessed them tipping the salaried people waiting on them.Especially on Rodeo Drive. (Where some are commission only,but signs at many stores stated "salary only ." )