Just Plain Joe

Big Brother Is Watching

40 posts in this topic

Saw an interesting article this week on "Smart Camera Networks".  It talks about the rising number of public cameras tied into police networks, and new software to analyze the video to identify patterns.  The article gives an example of how this was used to identify houses used for drug dealing based on the amount of traffic going to the house.  The potential implications for the hobby are obvious--a bunch of 50-year-old males visit this house and stay for 60 minutes.  Hmmm....

Does this concern anyone yet?  Would it change your hobby habits to favor outcalls or hotels instead of private incalls? 

Cameras are everywhere and they are multiplying like rabbits.

That said, I won’t let the proliferation of cameras stop me in my everyday and my occasional pursuits.

7 hours ago, Just Plain Joe said:

Saw an interesting article this week on "Smart Camera Networks".  It talks about the rising number of public cameras tied into police networks, and new software to analyze the video to identify patterns. 

George Orwell was right...and just off by several years.

I know technology is changing our world.  With the best of intentions, there are always unintended consequences.  Wanting to feel safe and balancing that with loss of privacy is a real issue.  I try not to think about it too much, but there are times when the loss of personal privacy crosses my mind...and not in a good way.

When the Federal, or State, government puts cameras, and microphones, in our homes, then I'll worry. 

If I choose to visit an attractive 35 year old woman, and have a 60 minute massage, I'm not breaking any laws.

Edited by pfunk

21 minutes ago, pfunk said:

When the Federal, or State, government puts cameras, and microphones, in our homes, then I'll worry. 

If I choose to visit an attractive 35 year old woman, and have a 60 minute massage, I'm not breaking any laws.

even having consensual intimate relations is not breaking the law 

5 hours ago, JRWolfe said:

Can you expand on this more? 1984 isn’t only about surveillance (which surveillance and the extremes has been around for several years now) but also full and total Stalinism and absolute and total control of current information and historical events. North Korea is a great example of 1984. Maybe the argument could be made the US government is using subterfuge to achieve these goals but that feels like a stretch. So I’m curious as to how he was right.

“War is peace, Freedom is slavery, and ingnorance is strength.”

16 hours ago, Just Plain Joe said:

Saw an interesting article this week on "Smart Camera Networks".  It talks about the rising number of public cameras tied into police networks, and new software to analyze the video to identify patterns.  The article gives an example of how this was used to identify houses used for drug dealing based on the amount of traffic going to the house.  The potential implications for the hobby are obvious--a bunch of 50-year-old males visit this house and stay for 60 minutes.  Hmmm....

Does this concern anyone yet?  Would it change your hobby habits to favor outcalls or hotels instead of private incalls? 

You have to think strategically when choosing the location to hold meetings. It doesn’t take a genius or Rocket Scientist to know this. Choose ladies you trust, who behave intelligently, and who has the wits to protect not only themselves, but their potential clients. 

You might be surprised (or maybe not) to know who might be/is a ticking time bomb willing to risk not only themselves, but clients. Choose your lady and location carefully, think straight and you shouldn’t have anything to worry about.🤷‍♀️🤔🙄

Am I worried?

Short answer....No!

Long answer.....No!

If LE really wants to catch you, they will.  This is just another step in technology to capture real criminals, not consenting adults!  At least this is my take.

If they have cameras set up to watch a particular place, then they all ready know what is going on. All they are doing is collecting as much evidence as they can. That being said, there are cameras everywhere. Google has you location, the credit card company has your transactions, phone company logs your calls and the state has your car registration/tag info. Yet there are big drug rings, identity thieves, murderers, etc they can't catch with it. The chances are slim this would happen hobby wise. I would be more afraid of some religious neighbor, who is watching the girl across the street. People who have nothing but time on their hands and an ax to grind,  are the variable that is hard to know about.

Didn't samsung get caught with TVs that were filming people in their homes?

And the Ring doorbells were filming people?

It's already happening - privacy is a thing of the past...

12 minutes ago, hornyoldtoad said:

This actually happened on one of my encounters. An incall to a rented private residence,  with a ring doorbell.  They had me come to the front door.  Owner called them. 20min later we all had to leave as fast as we could.

Just moved into new home with this door bell feature, be careful who is hooked up to it when someone comes knocking at your door, like “Don’t ring the doorbell” on a outcall.  My PSA for the week 😁😁😁

51 minutes ago, Alex Majors said:

This actually happened on one of my encounters. An incall to a rented private residence,  with a ring doorbell.  They had me come to the front door.  Owner called them. 20min later we all had to leave as fast as we could.

Their rental agreement did not allow for guests?  We?? The lady you were visiting did not live there or was not supposed to?  I be confused, not unusual necessarily, but ..........

Haven't heard in a while, but couple years ago feds were allegedly setting up a data base to identify hotel rooms displayed on ads based upon decor being somewhat unique to each chain.

The homeland security folks have their hearts set on cameras in all heavily trafficked (shopping dining etc. not 'human") areas WITH facial recognition software to troll for wanted individuals.  Why they are wanted is the details where the devil dwells.

1 hour ago, gr8owl said:

Their rental agreement did not allow for guests?  We?? The lady you were visiting did not live there or was not supposed to?  I be confused, not unusual necessarily, but ..........

Two girls  used a Air BnB. One I had seen a month or so before. I came to see her friend. When I came to the door, I rang the bell. It alerted the owner.  Apparently he was suspicious of their activity. They said there were other cameras. Which is against Air BnB policy. He called and told them to leave or he was calling the police. My girl took only a third of the donation because I had received a third of the time. They were packing up in a frenzy and getting the hell out of there fast. It was dark and I had to be the first to leave.  Something I will never forget.

Edited by Alex Majors

12 hours ago, JoDoe27 said:

Can you expand on this more? 1984 isn’t only about surveillance (which surveillance and the extremes has been around for several years now) but also full and total Stalinism and absolute and total control of current information and historical events.

Although I was referring to surveillance,an argument can also be made for CNN and MSNBC

Break out the popcorn....this should get interesting.For the record..I watch C-Span.

1 hour ago, JRWolfe said:

Although I was referring to surveillance,an argument can also be made for CNN and MSNBC

Break out the popcorn....this should get interesting.For the record..I watch C-Span.

I guess if people are letting FOX News and Breitbart be their only source of “news” then they’re being willfully ignorant and complicit  especially since information is literally at their fingertips. That’s still not much of an Orwellian state in that regard. The surveillance is questionable as well. Either way thanks for the response.  

16 hours ago, Alex Majors said:

This is the type of situation I would have avoided in the first place. Sometimes trying to be cute or economical is not the best. Thank gosh all of you were safe.

19 hours ago, hornyoldtoad said:

Didn't samsung get caught with TVs that were filming people in their homes?

It's already happening - privacy is a thing of the past...

The TV thing is an urban legend, but the Ring device films all the time, even the indoor cameras. For me, this is tres creepy, but many suburbanites love the "security". Have you seen the Nextdoor forums? Some of those folks are upset when a strange car drives too slowly down their street -- they think they're being cased by burglars, kidnappers, or worse. Of course the worst thing that happens in these suburbs is that somebody's cat gets out and goes missing , the poor thing. They love Ring as anyone who comes to their front door is a "porch pirate."

19 minutes ago, Old_Timer said:

The TV thing is an urban legend, but the Ring device films all the time, even the indoor cameras. For me, this is tres creepy, but many suburbanites love the "security". Have you seen the Nextdoor forums? Some of those folks are upset when a strange car drives too slowly down their street -- they think they're being cased by burglars, kidnappers, or worse. Of course the worst thing that happens in these suburbs is that somebody's cat gets out and goes missing , the poor thing. They love Ring as anyone who comes to their front door is a "porch pirate."

are you sure?

https://www.cnet.com/news/samsungs-warning-our-smart-tvs-record-your-living-room-chatter/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2017/03/07/cia-wikileaks-samsung-smart-tv-hack-security/#5a07ce04bcd5

On 1/30/2020 at 8:15 PM, Alex Majors said:

Two girls  used a Air BnB. 

I'd say this is quite foolish. The homeowner will pretty much do whatever they want, to protect their property. Same with rented houses.

On 1/30/2020 at 4:10 AM, JRWolfe said:

Big Brother is Watching you..

11 hours ago, Old_Timer said:

On next door: OH GOD a man came up to my door and rang the bell Have any of you seen him???? Posted his video pic.

I'm like...answer  your door and find out for yourself. Is the world really that scary??

Are we really going in this direction?

13 hours ago, Audrey Astor said:

This is the type of situation I would have avoided in the first place. Sometimes trying to be cute or economical is not the best. Thank gosh all of you were safe.

I want all you to know I have a REGULAR door bell. Ring it and either my wife or myself will answer and welcome you to our home..and have a lot of fun!

On 1/31/2020 at 1:02 PM, hornyoldtoad said:

are you sure?

I'm never sure about my memory, and this story was sometime ago. All I recall is something about the TVs shipping with a microphone in the on state, but with no one tuned in -- sort of yes, but not really. Perhaps your sources will clarify? Thanks for the info horneyoldtoad.

On 1/31/2020 at 11:50 PM, sparkey600 said:

On next door: OH GOD a man came up to my door and rang the bell Have any of you seen him???? Posted his video pic.

I'm like...answer  your door and find out for yourself. Is the world really that scary??

Are we really going in this direction?

Those folks require a high drama diet, and seeing strange men in hoodies gets their motor running. Life is scary and TV fuels the fear. Many of these folks seem to have nothing better to think about.

Yes, it appears that we have gone that way, at least in the suburbs.

On 1/31/2020 at 11:53 PM, sparkey600 said:

I want all you to know I have a REGULAR door bell. Ring it and either my wife or myself will answer and welcome you to our home..and have a lot of fun!

I have a regular doorbell as well.  I may or may not get up and answer it.  Depends on my mood and what I'm doing.  I may look out the curtains to see who is ringing my door bell first and then make up my mind if I will answer the door.