Expert opinion

9 posts in this topic

Only experts reply please.

Which hotel has the best mattress pillow combination for talking a nap and sleeping? Room service is plus, as well as some type of spa treatment. But the mattress and pillows have to put me on cloud 9.

As a road warrior, I spend a lot of nights in hotels.

In my opinion, no one chain is better than another, unless you are looking at Motel 6 quality level hotels.

I tend to stay in 3/4 star hotels and the quality of sleep, mattress, pillow combination will vary from location to location. I've even had it vary from room to room in the same hotel on different nights.

Pick yourself a name brand 3/4 star hotel and you shouldn't be disappointed.

I've found, in my limited travels, that independent 4&5 star motels/bed & breakfasts typically have amazing beds and pillows. Try web sites like Travelocity and check reviews on any independent places. But remember ... just like this hobby, your preferences don't necessarily match anyone elses. 

And as always ... YMMV :P

I prefer to book directly with the hotel web site.

I’ve used Priceline, Travelocity, Hotel.com and while you “may” find a slightly better rate, you don’t know which brand you’ll be booked in until after confirmation of booking.

I have burned by the so called pricing sites.  I’ve been booked in what was supposedly a 3 star and a 4 star hotel (off brand) only to arrive and find that the hotel is no better than a flop house....broken glass in the doors, stained bed spreads and curtains, dirty filthy carpets, smells like something or someone died.

And when I complained, I’ve been told that the travel sites have to rely on the hotels for the actual star rating.

I realize that what has happened is not the norm, but after being burned a few time, I decided to take control of the actual hotel I stay in to ensure a clean, comfortable night.

23 minutes ago, ilovewomen said:

I prefer to book directly with the hotel web site.

I’ve used Priceline, Travelocity, Hotel.com and while you “may” find a slightly better rate, you don’t know which brand you’ll be booked in until after confirmation of booking.

I have burned by the so called pricing sites.  I’ve been booked in what was supposedly a 3 star and a 4 star hotel (off brand) only to arrive and find that the hotel is no better than a flop house....broken glass in the doors, stained bed spreads and curtains, dirty filthy carpets, smells like something or someone died.

And when I complained, I’ve been told that the travel sites have to rely on the hotels for the actual star rating.

I realize that what has happened is not the norm, but after being burned a few time, I decided to take control of the actual hotel I stay in to ensure a clean, comfortable night.

Maybe you were placed there for clean up duty🤣🤣

1 minute ago, Laci French said:

Maybe you were placed there for clean up duty🤣🤣

🤣🤣🤣🤣

the higher end Marriot properties (category 5-8) all have mattresses and pillow combinations you will want to take home with you...

and i think they even have a website where you can by them if you ask the concierges...

I worked in the hospitality business for decades. Generally the mattresses would be changed all at once or changed by the floor. Usually all mattresses in an area are the same age, but that doesn't mean they are used equally. There are some rooms that are used less often than other rooms. Rooms that might be a little louder due to traffic, ice machine, etc, might be used less than other rooms.

It was not uncommon for someone to ask to inspect a room before a guest checked in. We where always happy to show the guest some rooms before they checked-in. You should be able to ask to see a couple of rooms before you check-in. If the hotel is a 3 or 4 star hotel, they should have the staff needed to show you the rooms.

The westin and hyatts have the best beds.... as for pillows request feather free. Marriott is upgrading their bedding and the new pillows are GREAT