gr8owl

Hotel reservations

19 posts in this topic

I have heard second hand that at least one hotel chain and perhaps others have started refusing to book anyone with a local address shown on their driver license, credit card, etc.  Is this something many of you are running into, if so is it particular chains only, etc.  And is it perhaps related to the class action lawsuits against hotels?  Inquiring minds and all.

43 minutes ago, gr8owl said:

I have heard second hand that at least one hotel chain and perhaps others have started refusing to book anyone with a local address shown on their driver license, credit card, etc.  Is this something many of you are running into, if so is it particular chains only, etc.  And is it perhaps related to the class action lawsuits against hotels?  Inquiring minds and all.

As a frequent guest at most large chains....i havent run into this issue...

I haven’t ran into this situation personally myself.

As an Uber driver, I have given rides as recently as New Years Eve to locals who are staying at local hotels for a night out on the town.

There are many reasons why a local would need to book a hotel room for a night.

Out of curiosity, which hotel chain was it that supposedly refused a reservation to a local person?

2 hours ago, ilovewomen said:

Out of curiosity, which hotel chain was it that  supposedly refused a reservation to a local person?

A member of the Choice conglomerate.

For clarity.  Knowing the person that told me, there is no doubt at all in my mind that it happened once.  My question, having heard of the billion dollar suit against pretty much every national chain, was really whether this was an isolated incident (and possibly just the excuse used because excluding based upon race, religion, etc. gets you in trouble, as it should) or if this was fallout from the newer laws, publicity and suit(s) and something new getting started.  The main suit was filed just last month and with holidays I was just curious if this could be connected.  So again, just asking if anyone else has  run into this.  And apologies for not being a little more clear at start.

4 hours ago, gr8owl said:

For clarity.  Knowing the person that told me, there is no doubt at all in my mind that it happened once.  My question, having heard of the billion dollar suit against pretty much every national chain, was really whether this was an isolated incident (and possibly just the excuse used because excluding based upon race, religion, etc. gets you in trouble, as it should) or if this was fallout from the newer laws, publicity and suit(s) and something new getting started.  The main suit was filed just last month and with holidays I was just curious if this could be connected.  So again, just asking if anyone else has  run into this.  And apologies for not being a little more clear at start.

So many reasons why a local would get a hotel room. Maintenance/repair issues at home, staycations, marital/family problems, in the process of moving between places. I have no doubt some places would have this policy though. I haven't come across it myself. A few years ago I heard of one of the hostels that did this. Thanks for bringing this up. I didn't know about the lawsuit or the choice hotel situation. 

Edited by Hunter VanDyke

6 hours ago, gr8owl said:

A member of the Choice conglomerate.

Interesting

Years ago, a hotel that sounds like Smoliday Shin Texas had this policy. 

Just take you're passport for ID , But I have stayed in my home town at hotels never been ask why I'm at the hotel !

I have never had this problem. Though I was always ready with an answer.  Was going to be out to a function real late. I would rather get a room than drive  home tired. Or the sewer is backed up. Plumber can't repair it till tomorrow.  It really isn't their business anyway. I guess if they told you this, I would politely ask their name and position. Then tell them you will email the corporate office and complain. That you will tell the corporate office their name  and say they wouldn't give you a room. From now on you will never stay at their hotel again and you will get on social media to tell others. I bet you will get a room.

Edited by Alex Majors

It's best not to have visitors coming and going after midnight, especially if your guests must walk by the front desk to and from your room. Pick you accommodation wisely.

I can't imagine a business limiting it's customer base. It just seems silly. What's next? We don't book people who live less than 100 miles away? Silly.

With the Stock show in town, all of the hotels seem to be very high priced.

That’s an insane policy. Twice I have booked a room for family members because we didn’t have room to comfortably host them and another time I booked a room last minute because our sewer pipe broke and we didn’t have any water for two days. I can’t see how any chain could turn down that business. 

I'm wondering if they turned away the business because it was a single lady booking or a lady they knew that had repeatedly booked with them.

I know of one occasion where the lady booked a room in a well known hotel chain near the DTC and when she checked in, she was told that anyone in that room had to keep their shoes on and their feet on the floor. 

And it was the first time she had ever booked a room at the particular hotel.

There's a lot of places around here that have that same policy. Makes things difficult sometimes for sure! 

Recently, some places here have alternatively started requiring deposits only for locals. 

12 minutes ago, Demi-1616 said:

There's a lot of places around here that have that same policy. Makes things difficult sometimes for sure! 

Recently, some places here have alternatively started requiring deposits only for locals. 

Thank you for the information, Demi. 

The lawsuits mentioned were filed only a month or so ago or at least the request that a federal judge combine all of the suits into one was made only a month ago.  The resulting damages if awarded would be in the billions.  The hotel chains' best defense may end up being able to point to policies in place to prevent trafficking and training programs in place teaching employees to recognize.  To everyone that has said such a policy would be insane and/or what business would consciously turn away business all I can say is that having the potential of billions in fines hanging over your head may make for decisions otherwise not remotely considered.  Legal staff of the chains have only had a month, less holidays, to come up with policies only an attorney could like.

Here is but one link regarding.  I think the story needs to be watched for the potential to create major changes and havoc. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/hotels/2019/12/19/lawsuits-allege-hotel-chains-ignored-human-trafficking/2696622001/

All that said, as usual the activists and feds want to lump actual abuse, force, underage etc. (purely despicable and no punishment too much) and purely consensual between willing adults all into one heading of "human trafficking".  If what a couple of the now adult ladies allege is true hotel management at the hotels they were in should probably end up in prison but doubtfully will.  And as usual of course the no local, no cash rule will not effect the true traffickers and shady pimp fucks because they and their site managers are not local anyway etc.

Anyway, the more info the better.  I was simply trying to get it out there and see how wide spread changes at certain hotels might be and alert everyone to the possible fallout from the suit(s).  

Pimps & sex trafficking get all the publicity, and yet they are just a portion of the human trafficking problem.  Many other industries use forced labor of one form or another.  

I just checked My cousin and his wife in to a hotel at home and I had no problem at all... But it was a little bit more up scale than a choice.

I have heard this before but it wasn't choice hotels.