Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Love Strange

Text message Response Etiquette

23 posts in this topic

Twice I have had a provider (actually think it may have been the same provider both times) respond to a text message or reach out to me hours and even the next day after I had sent an initial text inquiring about appointment information.  The first time my phone was sitting next to someone that I most definitely don’t want to know of my hobby.  This last time I get an out of the blue response when I’m at dinner with the same person I don’t want to know of my hobby.   Both times the provider referred to me as “Babe” in the text.  What is the common etiquette of providers and response times of getting back to messages or reaching out to clients.

Seems like you need to spend a few bucks for a hobby phone if this is an issue.

I absolutely agree with johnnydog......you need a secret phone. You text a lady, and she is going to text back on that number when she can...unless you specif other. YOUR personal privacy is YOUR responsibility...NOT hers.

You can actually buy a phone that has 2 sim cards. When you don't want the other line open, you just turn it off. I have one and it works great. I buy prepaid cards for both. Cost me a total of about $60 a month.  That way if they text you, it will pop up once you bring the number back online, from adjusting the settings. Or you can keep both on at the same time. If you do, make sure which line you are using. I accidentally texted a provider one time. I thought I was texting a friend. Told him I couldn't make it tonight. I couldn't make it because I had set something up. She took it as I couldn't make it. I managed to catch my mistake in time and made my appointment on time.

Or turn off notification banners. If you don’t want to do that then don’t display the text body on your lock screen. Or you can just turn off alerts from an individual number. I’m speaking for iOS. There are several built in settings to keep notifications from being openly displayed for all to see. 

8 hours ago, johnnydog said:

Seems like you need to spend a few bucks for a hobby phone if this is an issue.

Let me post this gem again.

On 12/7/2019 at 0:13 PM, Love Strange said:

Twice I have had a provider (actually think it may have been the same provider both times) respond to a text message or reach out to me hours and even the next day after I had sent an initial text inquiring about appointment information.  The first time my phone was sitting next to someone that I most definitely don’t want to know of my hobby.  This last time I get an out of the blue response when I’m at dinner with the same person I don’t want to know of my hobby.   Both times the provider referred to me as “Babe” in the text.  What is the common etiquette of providers and response times of getting back to messages or reaching out to clients.

It's probably a good idea to put ia little note in your inquiry regarding your preference. Some gents don't mind responses hours or a day later. How is the provider to know your personal situation?

A second phone / hobby phone may not be a good fit for certain hobbyists, specially if is hard to explain / justify its existence. There are other things you can to prevent those situations such as notification controls, using different SIM cards, or phone apps such as goggle voice. Even informing your potential date about your communication preferences ( sometimes that doesn’t work)

If I cant reply to someone right away or at least within a couple of hours, I generally just don't reply back at all, I have had also had gentlemen who have text me and said please don't call or text after a certain time, which helps me to know if I should even respond.  As far as pet names go, I hardly ever use them unless I am in a back and forth convo with someone. I certainly wouldn't text someone out of the blue using a pet name. As others have said, maybe get a hobby phone or let the person you are contacting know not to contact you after a certain time etc. 

On 12/7/2019 at 11:13 AM, Love Strange said:

Get a hobby phone .. Or give then a time line when to text back or just block the number till you need it  again , 

Edited by lustybustygina

With this hobby, I've always assumed I'll receive a response at the worst possible time, and planned accordingly. 

As the Admiral noted, your privacy/safety is your responsibility. ;)

I've gotten some late replies, but usually they are polite.  This topic is one reason I enjoy being single and don't have to worry about things like this.

It helps to have a note attached (ok to reply prior to 4pm) or something similar.

I get requests at 1,2,3,4,5  in the morning. I do reply to those as I wake up. I’m assuming that if someone is contacting me at that hour, it’s an urgent situation.😳

2 hours ago, Audrey Astor said:

It helps to have a note attached (ok to reply prior to 4pm) or something similar.

I get requests at 1,2,3,4,5  in the morning. I do reply to those as I wake up. I’m assuming that if someone is contacting me at that hour, it’s an urgent situation.😳

Nice😁

If they try to wake you at 3AM, ring their chime at 6AM😡

I once had a GF who lived in Europe.  We were constantly forgetting the time difference & waking each other up in the middle of the night to chat. 😱

Edited by Bit Banger

Keep your worlds separate!  hobby phones can work great for those who need privacy and make it very clear to your providers not to contact you unless you contact them first  for an appointment. Most of us ladies will understand and appreciate your needs for privacy 

Edited by Kali Sensual Reiki

If someone texts me I assume they can get responses unless specified. 

Get a hobby phone and stop bitching about your piss poor communication.

On 12/8/2019 at 2:49 PM, Hunter VanDyke said:

It's probably a good idea to put ia little note in your inquiry regarding your preference. Some gents don't mind responses hours or a day later. How is the provider to know your personal situation?

yeppir - totally cool by me - if i don't here back that day i assume it is ok to ask some else out - if i don't hear back in 2 weeks i delete the PM...

got a reply once to a PM i sent literally a week after i sent it, replied with a request, got an instant reply that time, and then made like little bull and walked down and..."

it ain't a perfect system by any stretch and everyone manages their 'urges' differently - just gotta make the best of what these communities give you and sometimes it is a whole lot and sometimes it is a whole little and everything in between...

3 minutes ago, hornyoldtoad said:

yeppir - totally cool by me - if i don't here back that day i assume it is ok to ask some else out - if i don't hear back in 2 weeks i delete the PM...

got a reply once to a PM i sent literally a week after i sent it, replied with a request, got an instant reply that time, and then made like little bull and walked down and..."

it ain't a perfect system by any stretch and everyone manages their 'urges' differently - just gotta make the best of what these communities give you and sometimes it is a whole lot and sometimes it is a whole little and everything in between...

Out of reps or I'd give you one. I like your attitude. ❤

I am a little confused 🤷‍♀️. There are times, holidays, weekends, family time etc. That being said, there are times that I miss a same day Request, a reference request etc. Unless someone includes in their message times that are ok/not ok to respond, I try to respond (to viable requests). I don’t want to come off rude or as if I am ignoring someone.😕 It seems as if there is some unwritten rule regarding when it’s ok/not ok to write back, a certain number of hours in which it is/ is no longer ok to respond. Ahhhhh, I don’t know the rules.😭

Also I do usually respond quicker to actual requests than chit chat. I have several guys that are friends, and we chat via text. It’s bonding, and I enjoy it, it’s just hard to juggle everything, and now holidays too. Ehhhh

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 0:13 PM, Love Strange said:

The first time my phone was sitting next to someone that I most definitely don’t want to know of my hobby.  This last time I get an out of the blue response when I’m at dinner with the same person I don’t want to know of my hobby.

A little tough love:  You are a fucking idiot if you don't get a separate line for your sporting dates.  I think it should be a totally physically separate phone (you can see my review) or some form of new-fangled app that puts the second line on your phone, but keeps it concealed until you enter a password - I guess either works.  If you don't do this, you will get caught - you will get caught.  How much it will cost you depends on your situation.  It cost Tiger Woods several hundred million dollars.

If you don't believe me, call Tiger Woods and ask for his advice.

I try to keep my texts kinda vague if I’m late responding. But I also specify to let me know contact instructions in my contact form. If they don’t... that’s on them, right? I tried. Unfortunately not everyone uses the contact form. 

20 hours ago, MyraGold said:

I try to keep my texts kinda vague if I’m late responding. But I also specify to let me know contact instructions in my contact form. If they don’t... that’s on them, right? I tried. Unfortunately not everyone uses the contact form. 

I also try to keep my initial text a bit vague, until the response back is from the the intended person.  Then I may get a bit more playful, to see how she responds.  Nothing crude or distasteful.  And I don't go overboard because I don't want her to think I am a time waster.  Fortunately, this has worked well with many of the ladies on TOB.  For that I am grateful.

There's a few that say in their ads things like "If it's longer than 2 hours and I haven't responded, I won't respond, so please try again." 

That's nice, makes the expectation clear.  And if they put it in their ad like that, I'm sure they follow that rule.