45 posts in this topic

Scary movies... your siblings jumping out at you from behind the door... an unexpected loud noise that makes you jump... ALL NORMAL!  What is an experience you had that actually had you shaking... caused an abnormal reaction, made you pee or crap yourself?  Have you ever been REALLY scared out your mind???  How did you react?

I've had a few, but my all time ass clenching, heart racing moment came at a state monument gift shop.  I was at the car in the parking lot and my daughter wanted to get something from Grandma... she was running back toward her grandmother at the entrance of the store, across the parking lot, heading right toward a car coming down the parking lane... no way they could not have seen her in time, and I was too far away for the vehicle occupants to see me.  Kids have a natural tendency to ignore you screaming at them.. I wish I could remember what I finally yelled that made her abruptly stop between two parked cars... just before my baby would have been squashed.  Worst adrenaline rush to ever have experienced... Still chokes me up when reminiscing.  

One time I swam across a  big and very deep lake, by myself.  At mid point the water was pretty cold and I got the worst cramp in one leg. Then a minute or so later the other leg cramped up. Still had about 400 ft to the bank. It seemed like an eternity doing a backstroke, before I made it to the other side.

9 hours ago, Irenicus5 said:

What is an experience you had that actually had you shaking... caused an abnormal reaction, made you pee or crap yourself?  Have you ever been REALLY scared out your mind???  How did you react?

When the girl that answered the door looked nothing like her pictures. Reacted by politely leaving.

I’m terrified of killer whales (no idea why) watched  Black fish all the way through omg I hate them so much and they freak me out. 

I don’t remember the initial seconds of my 1st parachute jump. The second was GLORIOUS😇

My 1st firefight is crystal clear.

I’ve had a few “OMG he’s going to hit me!” accidents, but the only broken bones were from a self-inflicted low side.

The only time I’ve had my body fail me was when learning belayed fall technique.  On my first attempt I didn’t get my legs out in front sufficiently.  On a flat wall, no problem.  But there was a knob which impacted my groin.  When the instructor had me climb up and go again it took me 3 tries before I was able to push away from the wall & jump.

Edited by Bit Banger

34 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

My 1st firefight is crystal clear.

^^ THIS ^^ I actually shit my pants. Didn't even realize it until the shooting was over.

Last Sunday evening when I screwed up my landing six ways from hell, saw the asphalt rushing up at me from about 20 feet, and thought, “this is going to really fucking hurt.”

That was an understatement (underthought?)

Mine was in my college dorm days at CU in the 70-80’s after a drunk fest, woke up the next morning next to the ugliest girl on campus.  Don’t even remember the sex part but boy was she a _______ young lady.

7 minutes ago, petey-9950 said:

Mine was in my college dorm days at CU in the 70-80’s after a drunk fest, woke up the next morning next to the ugliest girl on campus.  Don’t even remember the sex part but boy was she a _______ young lady.

Coyote ugly?  Still have both arms?

1 hour ago, BadBoy said:

Last Sunday evening when I screwed up my landing six ways from hell, saw the asphalt rushing up at me from about 20 feet, and thought, “this is going to really fucking hurt.”

That was an understatement (underthought?)

Are you OK?

I almost forgot about the night equipment jump where they turned on the green light at about 800’ AGL.  I was 3rd man in the stick on a rising DZ.  Fortunately only one of the team used an ambulance, but the rest of us had aches & pains.  My knee still bothers me from that jump.

1 hour ago, SixtiesDude said:

^^ THIS ^^ I actually shit my pants. Didn't even realize it until the shooting was over.

All the Vietnamese were on the ground and I couldn't figure where the bees around my head were. This was the second I took some flying lessons and when over I almost walked into the prop.

Yeah, all that hurts does not injure.

I have a really hard time with getting on escalators. I was out at DIA early this morning ridding those scary fast moving steps. 😱😱 if you know me well you’ll understand my fears and why. I was pretty proud of myself! I looked a bit silly possibly? However, I did it my friends several escalator rides through DIA and into MLPS/St.Paul! I did it!!!😘😘 

Up in Nisswa,MN to bury my dad with family tomorrow. Flooding my mind with childhood memories in addition to riding escalators!🥰🥰

Nothing like dealing with fears head on in life!😉😉 

When the mortar shell went off in back of me and blew me into the helicopter the only reason I knew it wasn't piss was the red color

Solo sortie in a T-38 with an uncontained engine failure and subsequent fire. The longest 1/4 second of my life was pulling the ejection handle waiting for it to sequence and fire. 

First combat sortie in Desert Storm. 

Edited by contrails

I'm sorry to hear about your father Kali. My thoughts are with you and your family.

21 hours ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

I have a really hard time with getting on escalators. I was out at DIA early this morning ridding those scary fast moving steps. 😱😱 if you know me well you’ll understand my fears and why. I was pretty proud of myself! I looked a bit silly possibly? However, I did it my friends several escalator rides through DIA and into MLPS/St.Paul! I did it!!!😘😘 

Up in Nisswa,MN to bury my dad with family tomorrow. Flooding my mind with childhood memories in addition to riding escalators!🥰🥰

thoughts and prayers out to you and your family - so sorry for your loss.

12 hours ago, SixtiesDude said:

I'm sorry to hear about your father Kali. My thoughts are with you and your family.

My dad died back in December and we had the funeral back in December in Denver also. So today we had his memorial putting his ashes in the ground next to my grand parents. Tomorrow there will be another gathering in Minneapolis. 

My dad was a great man loved everyone he ever met. Very loud and the life of the party always! 

All of this death stuff for my dad is finally over tomorrow and then I will be back in Denver again! 

Thank you for your sweet words! My dad’s death was a true blessing. He was so out of his mind and very sick 

XO

Mine was an outcall that I did where the guy stabbed me...It was years ago but still have that memory anytime someone suggests that i do an outcall....

Mine happened last summer. I was driving my friend and her son, and her parents. We were stopped at one of the lights for merging from one highway to another. I saw a semi with 20+ foot trailer barreling towards us and I couldn’t move forward or sideways. I knew it couldn’t stop in time and didn’t know what else to do but watch. But somehow he managed to verve into the shoulder just enough so that he missed us. The front of the semi stopped to the right of the car even with the edge of the back seat. We would have been crunched between it and the car ahead of us. I didn’t even get to say anything because the traffic finally moved. I never said anything to anyone else in the car and they never knew how close we were to being in a major accident. 

Sorry to hear that so many have felt genuine fear.  Also happy that I am not the only one. 

The first time for me was being chased by a small group of guys threatening me when I was about 12 years old. I ran like my life depended on it.

Second time was being robbed in a convenience store by someone pointing a gun at my head.  I followed his directions very carefully and was scared witless.

Third time was seeing someone stabbed to death a few feet away from me and I thought I might be next.  That one affected me for years.

Things like these get written deep in our brain and can have lasting effects.  Thankfully, I also have had some fantastic things happen that bring back very fond memories. 

Some of those fond memories have happened with ladies from our board. ;) 

On 8/23/2019 at 5:16 PM, Bit Banger said:

Coyote ugly?  Still have both arms?

Jeez Bit, I haven’t heard that term in years.  I still have one arm left😋

1 hour ago, petey-9950 said:

Jeez Bit, I haven’t heard that term in years.  I still have one arm left😋

Yet another for us old timers 😁

On 8/23/2019 at 9:46 PM, contrails said:

Solo sortie in a T-38 with an uncontained engine failure and subsequent fire. The longest 1/4 second of my life was pulling the ejection handle waiting for it to sequence and fire. 

First combat sortie in Desert Storm. 

T-38s were used in combat in Desert Storm? I thought T-38s were jet trainers used for pilot training, never seen them in combat during Desert Storm.

On 8/23/2019 at 8:32 PM, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

Kali you have my condolences and I am going to pray for you and your family at this time. Take care of yourself and no that your father is at peace and being well taken care of .........................

20 minutes ago, Savoir Faire said:

T-38s were used in combat in Desert Storm? I thought T-38s were jet trainers used for pilot training, never seen them in combat during Desert Storm.

I read that as two separate incidents. 

3 hours ago, Savoir Faire said:

Negative in Desert storm. You are correct the T-38 is a trainer, flown by NASA and used in adversary roles. I was lucky enough be an IP on the airplane for 3 years. My post was confusing in retrospect.