jsco22-8999

Today I got an email presumably from P411

36 posts in this topic

So I haven’t been on p411 in years and today I got an email that starts like this,

We know a lot about you, {my name}. Does your family and business associates know that you frequently see prostitutes for example? We live in {my town name}, & have been keeping tabs on you. What if your family, friends, or coworkers found out about this? You are in luck; we won't say a thing to anyone. We think that is pretty nice of us considering most people would think that your family and business deserves to know what you are doing. All you need to do is send 0.07 Bitcoin to the address:” 

The email goes on more and includes my old p411 handle and more extortion. Has anyone gotten emails like this.....

I'm getting emails stating my username attempting to extort me unless I send XXX amount of BTC.

I haven't received anything, and I'm on P411 frequently.

I guaranty these emails are not from P411. They are from a sleazy extortionist who got hold of your email and 411 handle. Unless those are linked to your real world info, I doubt there is any worry.

Do not respond (that just confirms the email for the extortionist). 

People who send these emails are the scum of the earth, and deserve whatever happens to them.

Best of luck to you! 

Interesting. A provider with a grudge? That would be my immediate suspicion. They would be one to know both your handle and your hobby email.

Well folks, that’s exactly why you keep a hobby phone and lie about your real world info.

Or like me, you could just not give a shit and wait to get a high five at the office from your co-workers

6 minutes ago, Vassago said:

Interesting. A provider with a grudge? That would be my immediate suspicion. They would be one to know both your handle and your hobby email.

Providers know how to earn money. I doubt they would try this. It's extremely risky, and could ruin their life.

More likely a hacker who has some handles and emails, and wants quick money. Hackers always think they are smarter than they really are. :eek:

Just now, pfunk said:

Providers know how to earn money. I doubt they would try this. It's extremely risky, and could ruin their life.

More likely a hacker who has some handles and emails, and wants quick money. Hackers always think they are smarter than they really are. :eek:

Could be but providers have been kicked off the site before. It would just be my first instinctive thought. In either case, I agree. I wouldn't fret too much over it. Of course, that’s easy for me to say. I have no family to really worry about. I mean, who are they going to send the info to, right? 

I have received other scams similar but since this was about P411, I thought I would share with the community here so no one falls for it in case someone else gets this scam.

same email I got. definitely not a disgruntled provider as I've never contacted nor seen a provider. I'm guessing p411 had a data breach of some sort. I hadn't logged in for like 5 years.

Edited by justlooking99

reminds me when Ashley Madison site got hacked.  I kept getting email like that for a year trying to get bitcoins from me.  even though I used a different email address they had my name and address and threatened to send notice to my family, facebook, and to my business.  my wife already knew about my side fun and I work for myself so I really wasn't worried.  its just those emails became annoying after awhile.  I just suggest you don't send them anything or respond to them.  once you respond they will know it is a good address and that your worried about it

Notify their admin team so they can investigate and hopefully remedy before it spreads to others.  

Many things smell in this thread, not the least of which are the assumptions that the email came from either p411 or a data hack of p411, or came from a disgruntled provider.  Those are the two least likely explanations.  Then there is the new member not having to wait the usual 24 hour or more "screening" delay before first post pops up and "he" claims he has been a p411 member for over 5 years but has never seen or contacted a provider.  OK.  Sure.  The two most likely explanations are credit card hacker sold your account info, less than amused wifey looked at your credit card bill, google/facebook/instagram/microsoft linked all of your online activities and suggested several of you as "friends" from your contacts to an opportunist amateur extortionist.  In other words, there are a ton of ways this shit happens unless you isolate your hobby activities COMPLETELY from your "real world" including never sharing even devices let alone emails, cell numbers, etc.  If you do not there are are soooo many backdoors through other people's social media accounts you follow, etc. (yes, including the very popular in these parts twitter).  Please learn to swim before diving into the pool. B)

3 hours ago, gr8owl said:

Many things smell in this thread, not the least of which are the assumptions that the email came from either p411 or a data hack of p411, or came from a disgruntled provider.  Those are the two least likely explanations.  Then there is the new member not having to wait the usual 24 hour or more "screening" delay before first post pops up and "he" claims he has been a p411 member for over 5 years but has never seen or contacted a provider.  OK.  Sure.  The two most likely explanations are credit card hacker sold your account info, less than amused wifey looked at your credit card bill, google/facebook/instagram/microsoft linked all of your online activities and suggested several of you as "friends" from your contacts to an opportunist amateur extortionist.  In other words, there are a ton of ways this shit happens unless you isolate your hobby activities COMPLETELY from your "real world" including never sharing even devices let alone emails, cell numbers, etc.  If you do not there are are soooo many backdoors through other people's social media accounts you follow, etc. (yes, including the very popular in these parts twitter).  Please learn to swim before diving into the pool. B)

The only thing that smells in this thread is the guy that apparently has no clue how things work.

You're really suggesting someone got into our credit card accounts and magically found out our exact p411 user id? If you've used the system you'd know you're not just going to guess the naming convention.

The fact that two now, both with what seem to be dormant accounts got the exact same email doesn't strike you as odd in the least bit? Mkay.

What does my account age here have to do with the age of my p411 account? Are you a moderator? No? Then you have no clue how my posts are being moderated, do you?

As you said, learn to swim, or as I like to say, know before you post.

Edited by justlooking99

4 hours ago, gr8owl said:

If this thread "smells", then why are others getting the same threatening email?

1 hour ago, justlooking99 said:

The only thing that smells in this thread is the guy that apparently has no clue how things work.

You're really suggesting someone got into our credit card accounts and magically found out our exact p411 user id? If you've used the system you'd know you're not just going to guess the naming convention.

The fact that two now, both with what seem to be dormant accounts got the exact same email doesn't strike you as odd in the least bit? Mkay.

What does my account age here have to do with the age of my p411 account? Are you a moderator? No? Then you have no clue how my posts are being moderated, do you?

As you said, learn to swim, or as I like to say, know before you post.

red: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/100-million-capital-one-customers-were-hacked-everything-you-need-to-know-about-data-breaches-but-are-afraid-to-ask-2019-07-30

Fact remains there are many more likely paths as noted - wife, girlfriend, social media accounts with TMI linked, etc.

blue: When someone creates a new profile for the sole purpose of posting about FUD, it is suspicious.

The fact remains that there are HUNDREDS of p411 members that are also members here.  Were it a p411 system hack there would be more than two people getting the extortion requests (perhaps there are, but no one else is chiming in) and why would anyone START with dormant accounts.  

Provider totally blowing up reputation with an extortion scam that is not likely to net much if any money anyway.  Yeah right.

As far as attacking me because I do not buy into the OMG somebody hacked p411 the sky is falling schtick - piss off.

53 minutes ago, inkspot said:

If this thread "smells", then why are others getting the same threatening email?

I did not say others were not getting the same email - I wouldn't know and it is irrelevant to what I stated - see above, except for piss off part which is not directed at you ink.

No one has posted that I would believe. I suspect this is absolutely nothing to be concerned about. 

16 hours ago, pfunk said:

No one has posted that I would believe. I suspect this is absolutely nothing to be concerned about. 

keep telling yourself that, I guess.

I received the same email through my email site I use for this place. What does bother me is that they used my first name to address me so I'm wondering if the p411 site was hacked. It wasn't my username but my actual first name. It also claimed there was a keylogger installed so they know everything about me. I doubt that since I haven't received any of these threats on my own RL emails.

Edited by amcbl1
addtional info

2 hours ago, LoneRebel said:

http://www.easyemailsearch.com/dealing-with-email-harassment.html

This is just one example, I'm sure you could find even better information on dealing with this.

Its amazing how some posts believe this is a magical candyland where nothing bad will ever happen as long as you stick your head in the sand.

Hey, if you think it's a good idea to involve LE, be my guest! 

Until someone contacts me with my full name, current address, and a believable threat, I'll keep my own counsel. Cheers!

I received the same email that was in my SPAM folder.  It says my computer is infected with a trojan virus.   It's definitely disturbing as my RW name was used.  I ran Malwarebytes and a full virus scan on my computer to make sure nothing is corrupt...and found nothing.

On 8/6/2019 at 11:59 PM, justlooking99 said:

same email I got. definitely not a disgruntled provider as I've never contacted nor seen a provider. I'm guessing p411 had a data breach of some sort. I hadn't logged in for like 5 years.

What a strange statement this is.

He hasn’t logged into P411 in 5 years but says he got the same email. So apparently he has kept up payments to remains memeber of P411.

He also says he has never contacted or seen a provider.

Why keep up  P411 account then?

And he only recently joined TOB.

So so strange of a post.

If keeping your own counsel means ignoring my posts then please do so.

Keeping the email is useful because its more than just evidence. It has Email headers which contain IP addresses which can be compared to any correspondence from the same email account that received the threat. That info can be shared among the people  (through PM in this forum) that received the same threat as well as shared with p411 to see if they will do anything or just sweep it under the rug. There are also PIs and hackers out there that can do many things with that information.  And yes if the worst case is true and your bank accounts and all other accounts have been taken over then the FBI is no longer a bad option though I prefer NSA.  Anyone that plays these games to victimize you instantly gives you the right to tenfold payback. 

13 hours ago, BigBaldBlk said:

I received the same email that was in my SPAM folder.  It says my computer is infected with a trojan virus.   It's definitely disturbing as my RW name was used.  I ran Malwarebytes and a full virus scan on my computer to make sure nothing is corrupt...and found nothing.

Yeah then it said my social security number was cancelled, and offered me a warranty on a car I sold a few years back...

Received the same e-mail.  Makes me suspect P411 has compromised user names and e-mail addresses - rest of e-mail sounds like boilerplate to create FUD, and get .7BTC.  Ignored. 

I also got this email two days ago. Clearly P411 has been 'hacked.' The method of hacking is irrelevant - could be a provider is doing it, a provider sold the data, a provider got hacked, a P411 employee is doing it, a P411 employee sold the data, a P411 employee got hacked, or P411 got hacked directly. All irrelevant. The data is out there. I sent P411 a notice email, and changed my P411 account email. Beyond that, ignoring. So the new owners of P411 changed the service, increased the fees, and can't keep their data secure.

FYI: § 18-3-207. Criminal extortion – aggravated extortion

1. A person commits criminal extortion if:
    1. The person, without legal authority and with the intent to induce another person against that other person’s will to perform an act or to refrain from performing a lawful act, makes a substantial threat to confine or restrain, cause economic hardship or bodily injury to, or damage the property or reputation of, the threatened person or another person; and
    2. The person threatens to cause the results described in paragraph (a) of this subsection (1) by:
      1. Performing or causing an unlawful act to be performed; or
      2. Invoking action by a third party, including but not limited to, the state or any of its political subdivisions, whose interests are not substantially related to the interests pursued by the person making the threat.
    1.5 A person commits criminal extortion if the person, with the intent to induce another person against that other person’s will to give the person money or another item of value, threatens to report to law enforcement officials the immigration status of the threatened person or another person.
  2. A person commits aggravated criminal extortion if, in addition to the acts described in subsection (1) of this section, the person threatens to cause the results described in paragraph (a) of subsection (1) of this section by means of chemical, biological, or harmful radioactive agents, weapons, or poison.
  3. For the purposes of this section, “substantial threat” means a threat that is reasonably likely to induce a belief that the threat will be carried out and is one that threatens that significant confinement, restraint, injury, or damage will occur.
  4. Criminal extortion, as described in subsections (1) and (1.5) of this section, is a class 4 felony. Aggravated criminal extortion, as described in subsection (2) of this section, is a class 3 felony.

Forgot to mention - P411 is subject to the same data breach and privacy compliance and notification laws as every other business. It appears this data breach is at least three weeks old, but no word at all from P411, which is odd because they are very good at providing notice when your account is up for renewal. They probably (rightly) figure not many people want to publicly announce that P411 was breached? Asking for a friend.

10 minutes ago, WreckItRalph said:

Forgot to mention - P411 is subject to the same data breach and privacy compliance and notification laws as every other business. It appears this data breach is at least three weeks old, but no word at all from P411, which is odd because they are very good at providing notice when your account is up for renewal. They probably (rightly) figure not many people want to publicly announce that P411 was breached? Asking for a friend.

Interesting. You’re up on all the CANADIAN laws regarding this issue???