jsco22-8999

Today I got an email presumably from P411

36 posts in this topic

Wow. It seems strange that the security of P411 has never been called into question previously.  I must say unless there are others complaining about this problem that it is potentially from another source that P411, like someone might have hacked an email address used to send the information is more like the problem, unless of course there are more instances than just this one individual, so before anyone keeps threatening with the law and legal advise it might  be appropriate to see if this is an isolated circumstance or if it is widespread, as there could be differing information as to what really happened and what is being thought and said here as hacker instances tend to be wide spread instead of focused on one individual unless of course the OP is someone in politics or a celebrity there certainly could be more than one reason for this happening....

2 hours ago, WreckItRalph said:

I also got this email two days ago. Clearly P411 has been 'hacked.'

"Clearly" based on a total of six people getting an email so far in almost three weeks??  A rather lazy and sloth-like hacker if so.  

1 hour ago, WreckItRalph said:

Forgot to mention - P411 is subject to the same data breach and privacy compliance and notification laws as every other business. It appears this data breach is at least three weeks old, but no word at all from P411, which is odd because they are very good at providing notice when your account is up for renewal. They probably (rightly) figure not many people want to publicly announce that P411 was breached? Asking for a friend.

Not odd at all if it was not their info that was hacked.  They did however add in the additional 'I am not a robot" sign-in verification for what little that is worth.

3 minutes ago, gr8owl said:

"Clearly" based on a total of six people getting an email so far in almost three weeks??  A rather lazy and sloth-like hacker if so.  

Yes, and all but one have a low (<100) post count😗

I received the same Email, with my P411 handle also. I ignored it as another hacker trying to scare money out of people. The price of silence was $700 USD.

3 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

Interesting. You’re up on all the CANADIAN laws regarding this issue???

Data breach and privacy laws are extra-territorial. It doesn't matter where the company is located, it only matters where the data is derived. E.g. the GDPR of the EU applies to every person collecting or processing data of an EU citizen. Therefore, US and Canadian companies that process or collect data on EU persons must comply and are subject to the GDPR, including fines and penalties.

In the U.S. data privacy and protection is a jumble of mostly state law. For example, California's COPPA and the upcoming (1-1-2020) California Consumer Privacy Act (similar to the GDPR) apply to any person/company that collects data from a California person. I assume a few Californians are P411 members.

In Canada, data privacy and breach notification is covered by both federal and provincial laws, and includes mandatory data breach notifications.

Colorado's Consumer Data Privacy Act also requires mandatory notification of a data breach, and applies to any company with data of a Colorado person, regardless of where in the world they are located.

FYI P411 responded to my email promptly, and changed my email, password and verification ID. They asked for a copy of the scammer's email. They are being very responsive.