Hunter VanDyke

For the Old-timers...

133 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, acmb2017 said:

How about when I was the remote control for my dad while also being skilled in adjusting rabbit ears depending on what channel of the 3 he settled on.

Don’t forget the tin foil 😜

25 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

Don’t forget the tin foil 😜

o hell yeah - and i can remember even having to hold one rabbit ear so M.A.S.H. was clear enough to watch the 'current episode' since taping them was to technologically advanced...

54 minutes ago, acmb2017 said:

How about when I was the remote control for my dad while also being skilled in adjusting rabbit ears depending on what channel of the 3 he settled on.

Omgosh yes. Shout out to all the children who were human remote controls. Lol. Could be in an entirely different part of the house,  and my dad would holler for me to come in and change the channel. 🙄

And don’t forget the aluminum foil to help bring in the signal. Stations quit broadcasting at midnight and showed a test pattern. And only 4 channels!

4? We only had 2!

A CBS affiliate and since I grew up in a university town, an educational channel (precursor to PBS) which was only on in the afternoon.

I still remember going down to the TV station one Saturday and meeting Clayton Moore & Jay Silverheels (*)

* The Lone Ranger & Tonto for the unwashed 😜

Edited by Bit Banger

42 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

4? We only had 2!

A CBS affiliate and since I grew up in a university town, an educational channel (precursor to PBS) which was only on in the afternoon.

I still remember going down to the TV station one Saturday and meeting Clayton Moore & Jay Silverheels (*)

Hi Ho Silver and Away!

But if I remember correctly, we started out with only Channel 2 and it took a long time before got the other 3 channels.

Edited by ilovewomen

Explaining a song to a teenager. He says "Oh Yeah, that's from the 1900's"

1 hour ago, Bit Banger said:

4? We only had 2!

That is pretty cool, they were my heros.  But for old-Denver-dude bona fides, you can't match my being in the audience for the very first airing of the Pete Smythe show, broadcast directly from East Tincup (before that he was only on the radio).  Also was in the playhouse for the Fred and Faye show.

Any of you old Denverites old enough to remember either show?

I feel old when I am sitting in the bathtub and my balls float to the surface.

3 hours ago, BadBoy said:

But for old-Denver-dude bona fides, you can't match my being in the audience for the very first airing of the Pete Smythe show, broadcast directly from East Tincup (before that he was only on the radio).  Also was in the playhouse for the Fred and Faye show.

My mom listened to Pete Smythe every morning, on the radio. I wanted to be on the Fred and Faye show but never got there. Loved the cartoons!

3 hours ago, BadBoy said:

That is pretty cool, they were my heros.  But for old-Denver-dude bona fides, you can't match my being in the audience for the very first airing of the Pete Smythe show, broadcast directly from East Tincup (before that he was only on the radio).  Also was in the playhouse for the Fred and Faye show.

I was on the Fred and Faye show for my birthday.  And I definitely remember Pete Smith and East Tincup.

Geez we’re old😂😂

20 hours ago, mountainrider33 said:

There's one thing that doesn't change.  When I was a kid, cover bands would always sing Beach Boys, Jimmy Buffet, Beatles, etc.  I've walked by a few cover bands playing in the last couple of years and 30 years later, they're still playing those same songs.  It made me wonder why the newer cover bands aren't playing Bon Jovi, Poison, The Go-Go's, U2, Dire Straits, etc. for songs.

Edit:  Looked real quick on Youtube and actually found a cover band doing the Go-Go's, but I doubt many cover bands do 80's songs.

https://www.thebash.com/search/80s-band-denver-co

Looks like there is a bar downtown that has 80s nights,  milk bar

Edited by Hunter VanDyke

My place of business still has a rotary phone. I have to train the young employees on how to use it. They think it is cool but I have to remind them that it only does one thing at a time and when they have it off the hook, we can't receive calls.

I asked them if they would rather see Rocketman, a movie about Elton John's music or Blinded by the Light, a movie based on Bruce Springsteen's music... only to find out they had never heard of either artist.

Everything I love and enjoy is a classic or vintage.:unsure:

17 hours ago, acmb2017 said:

I was also the remote.  But we were fancy because we had a large rooftop antenna.  However, we had friends in Janesville, WI that had a motorized antenna on their roof.  You turned it via a control to get either the Milwaukee, Madison or Chicago stations.  I thought it was soooo cool.

On 7/30/2019 at 6:02 PM, Milos Vesely said:

When I put peanuts in my glass bottle of Coke and my grandkids make throw up noises.  Coke bottled in Mexico using real sugar is the best.

Needs to be Pepsi...;)

Edited by lowboy

8 hours ago, lowboy said:

Needs to be Pepsi...;)

Memory very fuzzy, could have been, but I use Mexican Coke these days.  The soft drink, not the white powder (LOL).

As for the TV remote, my first "remote" TV had a cable from the remote control to the TV.  

34 minutes ago, Seeker5280 said:

I don’t remember Pepsi ice cream floats.

Coke ice cream floats RULE! 

No, Root Beer floats rule!

My fav... Dr Pepper and Blue Bell - Dutch Chocolate ice cream floats  💜

19 hours ago, Milos Vesely said:

Memory very fuzzy, could have been, but I use Mexican Coke these days.  The soft drink, not the white powder (LOL).

Most folks in these parts used the 6 oz. bottles of Coke "because they taste better". I just prefer Pepsi...

And a pack of "Nabs" was a "square meal".

On 7/31/2019 at 4:14 PM, Bit Banger said:

4? We only had 2!

I remember going across the street to my neighbors t watch Video Ranger on a 12" screen every weekday afternoon.  Talk about feeling old my youngest Great Grad Daughter is starting Kinder garden. The other 4 are almost in High School.

On 7/29/2019 at 2:02 PM, Hunter VanDyke said:

What makes you feel old? I went to get in the shower earlier, and usually I put on one of my spotify playlists or 80s music. Today I decided to put on the United States Top 50. Didn't know one damn song. Lol. Not only that, I didn't like one song either. I just kept thinking...damn I'm  getting old. Also thinking... damn I'm glad I didn't grow up in this generation. Also thinking...Damn saying that makes me sound old. 😂🤷‍♀️👍👩‍🦳

Does anyone remember the theme song to The Waltons?

On 7/30/2019 at 3:58 PM, Hunter VanDyke said:

I'll be honest...i don't watch many tv shows older than me. I prefer the shows today. Great tv today. 😍

There's something about older shows though.  Was watching Get Smart.  Barbara Feldon, oh hell yeah <drool>!

On 7/30/2019 at 6:11 AM, wglide2003 said:

Full Service was when the attendant pumped the gas and washed your windshield. Man I must be old.

And checked the oil.:rolleyes: