Tantis

Shy guy

18 posts in this topic

Hello ToB!

Been wandering around for a while now and trying to force myself out of my shell so to speak. Hope everyone's having a good week, just started my weekend :D Any other anglers out there willing to share a favorite river fishing spot?  

Hello Shy Guy! When I was younger I used to go fishing with my dad all the time. Of Course I thought it was boring but, now that he has been gone for a few years I would give anything to get back on the dock and go fishing with him. I hope you get some good recommendations. Sorry I don't know of any myself.

1 minute ago, Crystyna said:

Hello Shy Guy! When I was younger I used to go fishing with my dad all the time. Of Course I thought it was boring but, now that he has been gone for a few years I would give anything to get back on the dock and go fishing with him. I hope you get some good recommendations. Sorry I don't know of any myself.

https://youtu.be/trlIQcdi2QI

I don't fish, just never liked it. There are a few fishing aficionados on the board. But what I gather, from people I know, about sharing their favorite fishing spots, you probably have a better chance of winning the lottery 4 times in a row. :P

19 hours ago, Tantis said:

Hello ToB!

Been wandering around for a while now and trying to force myself out of my shell so to speak. Hope everyone's having a good week, just started my weekend :D Any other anglers out there willing to share a favorite river fishing spot?  

Welcome!!

5 hours ago, Crystyna said:

On 3/8/2018 at 9:28 AM, ilovewomen said:

I didn't know they had private hot spring caverns.  I knew about the gender specific caverns from their web site and the private outdoor hot tubs.

I don't like wearing a swimsuit in a hot tub or hot spring so only want to go to ones wear nudity is accepted and encouraged.

I’m in the same boat. Sucks. I’m so sorry sis.

I do remember going to Twin Lakes here and Glendo in Wyoming. Good luck!

Wrong, sixties dude, we love to share.  Here's one of my faves:  Go up to Georgetown, and go around the lake to where Clear Creek flows into  the lake, hike up Clear Creek for as far as you wish, and start fishing.  The water might still be a little high now, but once it comes down and clears up, it is a great little stream.  Advantage here is that when fishing slows down in the middle of the day, it's just a hop, skip and a jump into Georgetown which has wonderful restaurants, bars, and a couple nice little parks to just lay down and catch a nap in.

Another:  Waterton Canyon - the draw here is how close it is (a couple miles past I-470 and Wadsworth), where you can hike as far as you like and fish the legendary South Platte at any point you wish until you get to the dam, which is quite a long way.  This is a controlled release stream, so it might not be as high as the other streams in the area.  The fishing is surprisingly good because until you get to the first diversion dam, it is an unobstructed swim for the fishies to go down to Chatfield Reservoir, and some real hogs overwinter in Chatfield's depths and swim up the river in the summer, looking to eat bugs and little fish (or dry flies and spinners).  Keep going and there is terrific fishing at the base of the dam which rewards those willing to hike 4-5 miles (or you can ride a mountain bike to move it along a bit - great roadway).  You will likely be rewarded with a view of wild Mountain Sheep - in fact, if real lucky, you might get within a few feet of a herd of wild Mountain Sheep (the ones with the big, curly horns).  For a visitor, that is a once in a lifetime adventure.

As to the wild rivers (Colorado, North Platte, Arkansas, etc.)  the water is just plain too high right now.

As to ponds and lakes, I have no idea at all.  I don't like to fish in anything but rivers.  Ooops, except the little lake at the base of St. Mary's Glacier, which is a stunning hike in its own right and is surprisingly good fishing, especially if you want to catch the legendary "Tiger Trout" which occur only in that lake.

Finally, once the water comes down, Clear Creek above Golden and below Downieville is surprisingly good fishing, although you are only a few feet from I-70 so it isn't exactly a pristeen wilderness experience.  I usually stop and fish this section only when I am going up to the mountains anyway.  Smaller fish, but lots of action.  I usually park near the zipline park.

Have fun!

Welcome to TOB!  Hope you catch the big one and continue posting.  

Wall Lake. In Northwestern Colorado Flat Tops  Wilderness Area. It is a long hike up,  but there are native cut throat trout. It sits just below the tree line and Trappers Mountain. Water is clear and cold. There were fish for all last time I was there.

7 hours ago, Alex Majors said:

Wall Lake. In Northwestern Colorado Flat Tops  Wilderness Area. It is a long hike up,  but there are native cut throat trout. It sits just below the tree line and Trappers Mountain. Water is clear and cold. There were fish for all last time I was there.

Wow. You just rattled some great memories about Trappers Lake. Been there a few times when I a kid in the 70s and 80s.

The biggest Cutthroat I ever caught came out of Wall Lake. Browns and Brookies too!

Big Trappers lake and Little Trappers lake were good spots too.

Grey Hackle Peacock flies were the key to getting to the limit.

Luv the horse rentals too.

So much fun!

17 hours ago, BadBoy said:

Wrong, sixties dude, we love to share. 

Apparently my fishing friends are real pricks. LOL

On 7/12/2019 at 9:43 AM, SixtiesDude said:

I don't fish, just never liked it. There are a few fishing aficionados on the board. But what I gather, from people I know, about sharing their favorite fishing spots, you probably have a better chance of winning the lottery 4 times in a row. :P

Yeah that's how lots of fisherman are. Want to keep our favorite spot all to ourselves like our ATF!

19 hours ago, BadBoy said:

Wrong, sixties dude, we love to share.  Here's one of my faves:  Go up to Georgetown, and go around the lake to where Clear Creek flows into  the lake, hike up Clear Creek for as far as you wish, and start fishing.  The water might still be a little high now, but once it comes down and clears up, it is a great little stream.  Advantage here is that when fishing slows down in the middle of the day, it's just a hop, skip and a jump into Georgetown which has wonderful restaurants, bars, and a couple nice little parks to just lay down and catch a nap in.

Another:  Waterton Canyon - the draw here is how close it is (a couple miles past I-470 and Wadsworth), where you can hike as far as you like and fish the legendary South Platte at any point you wish until you get to the dam, which is quite a long way.  This is a controlled release stream, so it might not be as high as the other streams in the area.  The fishing is surprisingly good because until you get to the first diversion dam, it is an unobstructed swim for the fishies to go down to Chatfield Reservoir, and some real hogs overwinter in Chatfield's depths and swim up the river in the summer, looking to eat bugs and little fish (or dry flies and spinners).  Keep going and there is terrific fishing at the base of the dam which rewards those willing to hike 4-5 miles (or you can ride a mountain bike to move it along a bit - great roadway).  You will likely be rewarded with a view of wild Mountain Sheep - in fact, if real lucky, you might get within a few feet of a herd of wild Mountain Sheep (the ones with the big, curly horns).  For a visitor, that is a once in a lifetime adventure.

As to the wild rivers (Colorado, North Platte, Arkansas, etc.)  the water is just plain too high right now.

As to ponds and lakes, I have no idea at all.  I don't like to fish in anything but rivers.  Ooops, except the little lake at the base of St. Mary's Glacier, which is a stunning hike in its own right and is surprisingly good fishing, especially if you want to catch the legendary "Tiger Trout" which occur only in that lake.

Finally, once the water comes down, Clear Creek above Golden and below Downieville is surprisingly good fishing, although you are only a few feet from I-70 so it isn't exactly a pristeen wilderness experience.  I usually stop and fish this section only when I am going up to the mountains anyway.  Smaller fish, but lots of action.  I usually park near the zipline park.

Have fun!

Wow thanks! I've had good success on Waterton Canyon, nice bike ride to the dam and fish it down. Haven't made it up to Georgetown but sounds like a nice day, It's on my list now! Cheers BadBoy!!

One of my favorites is fishing the Yampa near Steamboat, when the fishing gets slow head to town for a drink.

On 7/11/2019 at 6:40 PM, Tantis said:

Hello ToB!

I don't know any fishing spots, but have found fishing in the TOB community to be incredibly fun and rewarding....in so many ways !!  ;)

I love Trappers Lake.  Also the Arkansas down around Howard and Cotopaxi.

Not real sure of any good places near Denver outside of going up into Waterton Canyon.