Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bit Banger

Another individual in American history passes on

10 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

Ross Perot, who got the largest 3rd party presidential vote since Teddy Roosevelt.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/billionaire-ross-perot-who-ran-twice-for-president-dead-at-89

And by turning out to be a total fruit loop, fucked up the chance of a real third party for decades still to come.  Worth noting he got zero electoral votes, unlike racist democrat (let that soak in slowly, non history buffs) Wallace in 68

IMHO, the destruction of the Reform Party was not Perot’s fault, but rather Pat Buchanan’s move in 2000 from a centrist, fiscal reform platform to a far right, moralist message.  I think this was the doing of Karl Rove, who watched the Reform Party suck votes from GHW Bush in ‘92,  and wanted the fringe out of the Republican Party to give GW Bush a more centrist standing in 2000.  Trump returned the favor by bringing the  “clean the swamp” message of his Reform party days into the Republican Party in ‘16.  But that’s politics.

Perot’s business acumen and support of his employees was legendary.  The retrieval of EDS employees from Iran inspired at least two books (one a factual accounted of the operation, the other James Clavell’s Whirlwind)

Well there was the I quit then I am back in with unproven unsubstantiated claims of plots against his daughter's wedding, people out to get him, etc.  What I meant by what I said.  He had an actual shot winning, but his bizarre behavior killed the opportunity and all of us hoping for a real third party were left holding the bag.  A bag of shit.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1992-10-26-mn-761-story.html

Then again ..... false allegations, fantastic stories, flip flops of policy, I am a billionaire business man schtick, and just bizarre behavior ............. he was just ahead of his time.  B)

I was one of those disappointed in the failure of a viable 3rd party.  In hindsight I’d say he pointed his finger at the wrong party, if you believe any of the Clinton conspiracy theories.  Then again GHW had the contacts to make it happen, too.  All either of them had to do was make him believe the threat was real.  Dirty tricks & politics go hand in hand. A part of the game for which he wasn’t prepared.

But all that is history, with the truth buried so deep it won’t see the light of day in our lifetimes.

10 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

I was one of those disappointed in the failure of a viable 3rd party.  In hindsight I’d say he pointed his finger at the wrong party, if you believe any of the Clinton conspiracy theories.  Then again GHW had the contacts to make it happen, too.  All either of them had to do was make him believe the threat was real.  Dirty tricks & politics go hand in hand. A part of the game for which he wasn’t prepared.

But all that is history, with the truth buried so deep it won’t see the light of day in our lifetimes.

hahahahahahahahha  shocking B) lunatics of a feather

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ross-perot-donated-to-trumps-reelection-campaign-before-death-report

The "truth" is buried in plain sight ..... best place to hide anything.

24 minutes ago, gr8owl said:

hahahahahahahahha  shocking B) lunatics of a feather

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ross-perot-donated-to-trumps-reelection-campaign-before-death-report

The "truth" is buried in plain sight ..... best place to hide anything.

I read that and found it consistent with their positions.

The ‘truth’ I referred to was who planted the threats.  Someone convinced Perot that they were real.  It could have been either party trying to maintain the two party system.  I suspect similar threats were made against Trump, but he just didn’t care.  The Steele document is just one case in point. Trump’s main triumph was taking over the weak & fractured Republican Party before running for office.  An option not available to Perot.

Imagine a Senate with 47 Republicans, 47 Democrats, 3 Libertarians, 2 Reform Party, and 1 from R.Nader’s Green Party.  No one has control.  Coalitions would be formed on an issue basis.

11 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

The ‘truth’ I referred to was who planted the threats.  Someone convinced Perot that they were real.

Rush says that Perot didn't want to win and when he realized he was about to pull a "Trump" he got out. He had hard feelings about GHWB asking him for money for the Iran hostage rescue but not wanting his input in the planning or his participation in the raid. And those were the conditions he sat before he would give any money.

8 hours ago, lowboy said:

Rush says that Perot didn't want to win and when he realized he was about to pull a "Trump" he got out.

How could he realize he was pulling a Trump,when Trump had not run for any political office until YEARS after Perot did ???

I voted for Ross, thought it was about time that the two party system got a wake up call.

On 7/11/2019 at 7:04 AM, JRWolfe said:

How could he realize he was pulling a Trump,when Trump had not run for any political office until YEARS after Perot did ???

I voted for Ross, thought it was about time that the two party system got a wake up call.

By "pulling a Trump" I meant that Ross realized that he actually could win.

And I voted for him too. Too bad the two parties didn't get the message...