Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sundance

Be kind to your Animals!

29 posts in this topic

Every 4th my Dogs Freaks!!!   Fireworks are NOT her friend.She spends most of the day and night in the bathtub...  Folks.. take a couple extra minutes and hug your pet!!

I will spend the evening with my dog and my daughters dogs away from the fireworks shows.

D-grwvDXUAERpmR.jpg

You can also give your pet Benadryl to help calm the anxiety.

True story.

48 minutes ago, Sundance said:

Every 4th my Dogs Freaks!!!   Fireworks are NOT her friend.She spends most of the day and night in the bathtub...  Folks.. take a couple extra minutes and hug your pet!!

Sundance, thanks for reminding us that fireworks and most dogs don't go together.  I had one dog who freaked out every year and we talked to our vet and got "doggie valium", which helped a bit.  And yet, I had another who didn't seem phased by it at all.  But most dogs really get disturbed by the loud noise of fireworks.

4 hours ago, Seeker5280 said:

You can also give your pet Benadryl to help calm the anxiety.

True story.

From the Google net

If your dog weighs 15 pounds, then you should give him 15mg of Benadryl 3 times a day. If you are going to give Benadryl in liquid form, then the dosage should be 0.4ml for 1lb of the body weight. For a reference, a US teaspoon can hold up to 5ml. This also should be given three times a day.

Although Benadryl is safe to give to your dog, over-consumption and allergic reactions can still occur. When a dog overdoses on Benadryl, signs will include a hyper-excitability of the dog's central nervous system and can be fatal if not treated immediately by a veterinarian.

Rule of thumb;  dosages for dogs would be inline with small children. example::  Adult aspirin 325 mg where baby aspirin is typically 80 mg. Also based on weight

My fur babies hate this time of the year. And we have a gun shooter every year right behind my house that always frightens everyone new to the area.

My current dog doesn't seem to be effected by the fireworks Thank God. Last dog was severely effected.

I'm glad all 3 of my dogs don't seem to react... My uncle can never enjoy fireworks though because he has to stay home with his though

This is the test of a good bird dog.  Can you shoot over their heads while they hold point?

4 minutes ago, petey-9950 said:

NS Bit, that’s why I am a GSP guy. 

Sorry, Petey, it’s been too many years.  What does “GSP guy” mean?

I used to have a Brittany whose sire & brother were dual champs, but that was 40+ yrs ago.  I never hunted, she was just the family pup.

German short hair.  I have had four and now my youngest son has a black with ticking.  Beautiful dog and turning into a great upland hunter

7 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

This is the test of a good bird dog.  Can you shoot over their heads while they hold point?

Often verbalized, never intentionally practiced  Generally a bad idea for multiple reasons. Trade places and think about having a shotgun go off next to your ear while you're working. Even if the blast rained hookers for you, it is unlikely to win your heart any more than is does a dogs when it rains birds.

On the subject, I've had a few of mine be rock soid in the field and absolutely lose their cookies over fireworks. Once a dog has a fear, it's damn near impossible to persuade them otherwise. 

10 minutes ago, Happymon said:

. Trade places and think about having a shotgun go off next to your ear while you're working. . 

Yes, and I have the tinnitus to prove it.  Only in my case the ‘shotgun’ ranged from 5.56mm to 8in.

She's still in the bathroom...finally got her outside to pee    ....poor girl....I know about the benadryl, doesn't seem to help her....Thanks for the input 

love yas!!!  "Girlfriend" BNP.....Blue nose  Pit

IMG_20160911_055245.jpg

My momma gave her dog CBD oil for the first time this 3rd and 4th. The vet recommended it. She said it helped, and her sweet little girl did better this year. I thought that was pretty cool.  

I think because my current pup was brought home in a massive thunderstorm, he's somehow immune to loud noises like thunderstorms and fireworks.  Last night he just stood up from his nap during a couple of the booms.  

The dogs in my neighborhood are probably all in comas. Last night was like a war zone even though I live in central Colorado Springs, not too far from the Union and Circle\Audubon area. Three people within a block of me were firing off stuff for 3-4 hours. Amazingly, they had lots of BIG STUFF. Big as in, the same stuff they shoot off at official fireworks shows....except they were launching them off from a backyard over houses.

5 hours ago, Admiral C said:

Amazingly, they had lots of BIG STUFF. Big as in, the same stuff they shoot off at official fireworks shows....except they were launching them off from a backyard over houses.

I sympathize! There were a couple people launching REALLY loud shells in my neighborhood. Serious stupidity.

When I was a kid, the biggest thing we had was a roman candle. You had to go to Bears Stadium to see real fireworks.

Some people have no consideration for those who live nearby. They are just childish, selfish, and stupid.

I am a Veterinary assistant so if you ever have any animal questions I will be happy to answer! : ) 

I have one dog that hates it and one who doesn't seem to care.  I have a special vest that I wrap the one dog in.  It is very snug and has really seemed to help without the use of doggie downers.

Hi! Those vests are great! I use one on my 12 year old terrier when I leave due to his separation anxiety. But you are right, some dogs don't care for them or about them! LOL 

I would recommend "gun training" you dog, preferably as a puppy.   It is a fairly simple process.  EVERY time you feed the dog, simply make a loud noise when he/she starts to eat.  (I used a .22 starter pistol with blanks)  and simply praised the animal when the gun was shot.  Very soon, he began to relate the noise with something pleasant (food and pets) and was non pulsed when he heard either a shot (bird dog) or fireworks.  Actually, he was usually disappointed to not find a bird to retrieve when the fireworks first started.  I should add that it is important that YOU not react negatively to the noises.  It is my experience that MOST dogs pick up this behaviors by taking cues to their humans cues. 

Edited by mustang

On 7/3/2019 at 8:35 PM, Bit Banger said:

Yes, and I have the tinnitus to prove it.  Only in my case the ‘shotgun’ ranged from 5.56mm to 8in.

I hear you there.  I've had tinnitus since about 1969/1970.

I met the cutest pup the other day she gave me a ride from the airport to my hotel

,, she is so sweet . Wish that I was not Allergic to dogs , I get hives :o bad so I have to look not touch ..

Hi Miss Luna ,, :P

Edited by lustybustygina

30 minutes ago, lustybustygina said:

I met the cutest pup the other day she gave me a ride from the airport to my hotel

,, she is so sweet . Wish that I was not Allergic to dogs , I get hives :o bad so I have to look not touch ..

Hi Miss Luna ,, :P

Do you have a hard time “meeting “ individuals who are dog owners?

Don't know if this is good or bad, but my dad would give his sheep dog (named BJ, LOL) some wine when he had to go hunting coyotes that were snacking on his sheep.    About half cup and BJ was out like a light for the night.   Always seemed well rested the next day.   Until some sheep for brains shot him because she thought BJ was attacking the sheep.   I personally don't care for dogs but I still have fond memories of my dad and his best friend BJ.   

Edited by Milos Vesely

This will be my pup', Eli'a first 4th of July. He likes cbd oil. My late great hound Mollie didn't like fireworks much. She would tolerate them if I kept her  happy on her cbd oil. If you have to stay at home folks oil is the way to go. It makes this holiday more bearable for our 4-legged babies.