Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marilyn Desire

Could it be?

19 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Crystyna said:

With a few states legalizing and decriminalizing things could sex work be next? This could be exciting news for all of us! 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/new-york-state-lawmakers-introduce-bill-decriminalize-sex-work-n1015891

We can only hope for all involved, especially for improvements in safety and liberty.

This could be good news for the fact it is getting a hearing at all, but with only six days left or so in New York's legislative session, it is probably a long shot with low prospect of advancing. That said, advocates may need to be persistent for the long haul.

Even the sponsors acknowledge that they don’t expect passage this session.  But by introducing it now they get the word out.  You can bet that this bill will be a topic of conversation among the legislators (and lobbyists) during their off season.  By next session the supporters will know who they already have on board, who they may persuade, and who to not waste their time & energy trying to convince on the merits of the bill.  It’s an uphill battle because there is by-partisan opposition, each side for their own reasons.  I think there’s a better chance of convincing progressive feminists that this empowers & protects women than of convincing the religious right that this combats the evil of trafficking.  They seem to have the LBTQ community on board.

With decriminalization will come governmental oversight, regulation, licensing fees and other interference. Is that a good thing, or a bad thing? Seems like we have a pretty good free market system in place right now with some effective self-policing mechanisms.  Would decriminalization increase or decrease the number of providers and hobbyists? 

2 minutes ago, sb1212 said:

With decriminalization will come governmental oversight, regulation, licensing fees and other interference. Is that a good thing, or a bad thing? Seems like we have a pretty good free market system in place right now with some effective self-policing mechanisms.  Would decriminalization increase or decrease the number of providers and hobbyists? 

This is the difference between ‘decriminalization’ and ‘legalization’.

Legalization, by its very nature, would include regulation & probably taxation.

Decriminalization would merely take most of the anti-prostitution laws off the books.  But nature hates a vacuum.  Government, being the intrusive, controlling beast that it is, will likely fill the void with new regulations and taxation.  Another ‘sin tax’ trying to dissuade us from our enjoyment of what others deem to be bad.

The 13-page bill – which was drafted with Decrim NY, a sex workers advocacy organization – would maintain current laws on rape, human trafficking, assault, sexual harassment and battery.”

I find it disturbing that it takes 13 pages to remove prostitution laws from the books.  It just shows the how interwoven of our legal codes.  When I was still writing software a mass of spaghetti like this would often be discarded and rewritten from scratch. 

Another problem Decrim NY faces is that the Federal anti-trafficking laws define consensual sex work as trafficking. (Several threads on this year’s ago. I’m too lazy to go find them.)

1 hour ago, Bit Banger said:

...  It just shows the how interwoven of our legal codes.  

Grrr!  Trying to edit a post before my 2nd cup of coffee. 😨. This should read -

It just shows the interwoven nature of our legal codes.

For everyone else outside of this activity, I just have to ask a basic question. Is there really a need to decriminalize prostitution? Because most of them would probably say no. These laws they are trying to scratch off the books, are for a small portion of the population and it doesn’t look like it has any real tangible purpose other than it makes it easier to pay for sex. This isn’t a moral argument to me. It just doesn’t make any logical sense. The ‘easier to stop human trafficking’ argument just isn’t convincing enough for most people, I don’t think.

I have serious doubts about decriminalization occurring in my lifetime. 

27 minutes ago, Vassago said:

For everyone else outside of this activity, I just have to ask a basic question. Is there really a need to decriminalize prostitution? Because most of them would probably say no. These laws they are trying to scratch off the books, are for a small portion of the population and it doesn’t look like it has any real tangible purpose other than it makes it easier to pay for sex. This isn’t a moral argument to me. It just doesn’t make any logical sense. The ‘easier to stop human trafficking’ argument just isn’t convincing enough for most people, I don’t think.

I have serious doubts about decriminalization occurring in my lifetime. 

“Small portion of the population” is true; however, it impacts those individuals all the same. 

Plus as a whole it’s nice to remove the government from your bedroom and general privacy which includes telling you how or what you can do with your body assuming you are of age and under your own volition. 

27 minutes ago, JoDoe27 said:

“Small portion of the population” is true; however, it impacts those individuals all the same. 

Plus as a whole it’s nice to remove the government from your bedroom and general privacy which includes telling you how or what you can do with your body assuming you are of age and under your own volition. 

I’m not disagreeing with you. I’m not who you need to convince.

3 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

The 13-page bill – which was drafted with Decrim NY, a sex workers advocacy organization – would maintain current laws on rape, human trafficking, assault, sexual harassment and battery.”

I find it disturbing that it takes 13 pages to remove prostitution laws from the books.  It just shows the how interwoven of our legal codes.  When I was still writing software a mass of spaghetti like this would often be discarded and rewritten from scratch. 

Another problem Decrim NY faces is that the Federal anti-trafficking laws define consensual sex work as trafficking. (Several threads on this year’s ago. I’m too lazy to go find them.)

The spaghetti analogy is the best one I’ve seen used so far on this topic.

At my job, if someone comes to me with a request that has no possibility of ever getting fulfilled either due to costs or logistics, my answer is always the same.

”Let me look into that. I’ll get back to you.”

I lost count of how many times I’ve used that line.

58 minutes ago, Vassago said:

The spaghetti analogy is the best one I’ve seen used so far on this topic.

We called an interlocking mess like this ‘spaghetti code’ when I started writing software almost 50 yrs ago.  It was a bane to good operations, always full of bugs.  You’d squash one here, only to have it pop out there.  Worse than Wack-O-Mole 😡

2 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

We called an interlocking mess like this ‘spaghetti code’ when I started writing software almost 50 yrs ago.  It was a bane to good operations, always full of bugs.  You’d squash one here, only to have it pop out there.  Worse than Wack-O-Mole 😡

Except no one is going to refactor anything. Instead just building on top of bad. 

1 hour ago, Vassago said:

I’m not disagreeing with you. I’m not who you need to convince.

Fair enough. 

I am glad it is out there but I don't think it will amount to anything. The only thing that drives legislators is votes, which brings in money. If they are in the bible belt, you bet they will vote against it. The people will vote out those who probably talk about it. Now if it came to legalization, how much tax do you think the govt would put on a hour of activity? Prices would probably go up at first. Then as more girls came into the market,  supply and demand would start. They would probably require you to work in certain.areas and room prices would rise. Licenses and health checks. Maybe even hobbyists  would have to be health screened in order to hobby. Carry a card or  buy a permit. Next thing you know, we would be back to doing just what we are doing  now to avoid this.

historically prostitution is a reality that has been in place since the dawn of time and will remain so regardless...

so why not try?

i wonder:

since anyone could choose this as a profession - would this new transparency generate oversight enough to oversee the exploitation aspect...

if this would allow providers access to social security...

if the brothel, parlor aspect were decriminalized, would address the organized crime aspect and trafficking...

if the tax upsides will be as solid as other legalization efforts have been...

and...

i know a LOT of significant others will be wondering who those 'few' men are that are spending so many many millions on legal hanky panky:) 

On 6/13/2019 at 0:38 AM, Crystyna said:

With a few states legalizing and decriminalizing things could sex work be next? This could be exciting news for all of us! 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/new-york-state-lawmakers-introduce-bill-decriminalize-sex-work-n1015891

Crystyna, would you like to see activities in Colorado to promote, inform, or advocate for this?

If so, can I refer you to a provider who spoke in metro Denver in the past, which means she may know of Colorado leads, and is currently doing sponsored screenings of her documentary? If so, can I share her blog, link to Vimeo or Amazon Prime Video of her documentary, and link to some of her YouTube videos.

it would be amazing if this could happen..., however, I don't think the "holier than thou" groups would allow this to happen...

are there any Colorado groups organized and lobbying for decriminalization??