Sundance

Cutting The Cord!!!

45 posts in this topic

On 5/30/2019 at 8:02 AM, Hvnaball2 said:

I HAVE to be able to watch Rockies baseball, but AT&T (Direct TV) has that tied up. I'd love to find another option. :angry:

Guess you better start prescreening for game days with ladies who have directv 😂😂😂

Just agreed to a Dish contract with everything I want for $79.31 per month. Guaranteed for two years with autopay.  Granted, I am away from home a lot with rehearsals and working shows so I don't watch a lot of TV but you might take a look at what appears to be several less expensive, attractive packages offered by Dish.

Leaving aside the piss poor financial skills of the OP, I don't own a TV anymore. I sometimes subscribe to Netflix and/or Amazon Prime, depending on what shows I'm interested in. 

Generally, I find I get bored quickly by most TV shows - I think the last show I binge watched was Breaking Bad. 

Been watching more tv than ever since the stroke.  So,not cutting the chord. Actually getting a free upgrade on my D-TV equipment this week.

I pay $79 for internet through Comcast then I pay for Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix to watch movies and such. I did add TV recently with Sling, but I only pay $56 for it and love it so far. I would love to find cheaper internet, but I think it is worth it to avoid going through CenturyStink, etc.

Xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

Edited by SultryKitten

When 5g comes, I'll kick Xfinity inet.  

I have DirecTV now for nascar and F1.  If I could find them online, I would dump DirecTV.

I get great antennae reception.

Cut the TV cord about 5 years ago.  I miss a few channels at times.   I don't know what is on network TV as I am usually on the oldies channels.  The TV is mostly background noise while I read things on the internet.  I could just as well be listening to  celestial radio. 

A coworker has talked about being able to watch anything he wants.  USHL, NASCAR...... on a KODI app.  I forget what program on KODI he uses.  Then you have to have a VPN.

Edited by frankenthaler91

Jesus Christ i'm paying too much for cable...

Hadn't thought of this till i read this thread and did some research...

Lookie there!  Research is my friend in the RW too:)))))

On 6/3/2019 at 2:24 PM, mountainrider33 said:

Deceit or The Magic Dragon.

I was finally able to inquire what build he used.   Durex.  But I see that is no longer available. 

Utube TV-new but adding content regularly. Just added Motor Trend. $50 per month and 7 0 channels including local as well. I had to use Roku to grab my internet and there are a few channels with that that help too. I pay $50 for this, $60 for Comcast Internet, and abut $20 for land line and modem rental or about $150. I was hitting $300 pretty much each month. I can't see where I am missing a thing. I do pay a monthly Netflix subscription but was doing that when i used cable.

Its so nice not to have that cable bill!!!  Internet is fairly reasonable!!

On 5/30/2019 at 8:56 AM, megankush said:

I love my fire stick, I don't have Netflix or anything other provider. I pay for HBO and Starz and have plenty to watch between those three options.

I love my fire stick too !  .......  Oops 'nother subject  ... Lol! 

I cut the cord long ago. I have fiber optic internet and TV antennas.  I hate having cables attachet to everything. I have Netflix and Amazon prime with a Roku stick. Over the air TV is mostly HD now anyway. Also no landline phone.

The key to the original question is:

When you had cable- what shows did you really watch ? From there make a list of the stations you liked.

The next big issue is internet access. To stream on Nexflix you can get away with 40 megs if the speed in the area your in does not lag at peak times. 100 meg you should have no issues.

If you BUY a router then you can save the rental fee from the provider. Each provider is different on what hardware you need. Its costly upfront but saves in the long term

If you have a smart TV, then you can Ethernet from your TV to the Router and you won't need a Roku or Fire Stick- but those are nice to move from room to room

Then from there look at the different options...Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, CBS All Accesses Etc... Each comes with a monthly fee but you can build what you want- and turn it on and off when the series you love is no longer running. Just be careful you don't add to many or you might as well have Comcast back.

As a example....Internet 50.00 per month, Hulu 10.00 per month, Netflix 12.00- per month- Your already at 72.00 per month...

What also works is... Asking a friend for his/ her user name and PW for a platform you don't have and offering one in return.  We ALL do it.

And of course- the trusty antenna for local stations

TV watching has changed since everything has gone to a "ON Demand " platform. No longer do you need to wait for the show to come on at 7pm on Saturday night.

I hope this helps