Sundance

Cutting The Cord!!!

45 posts in this topic

Internet service   and cable TV has gotten outrageously expensive and I finally had it!!! Between internet and TV, I was paying over $170 and it still didn't have every major channel.. I only had HBO  and Starz. Comcast came into a new thing a couple of months ago where they weren't giving you anything for free anymore!!! All of a sudden from one month to the next, I was paying 150 and then I was paid $260 for the same thing I had the month before . I never ordered  all the channels they gave me for free. I went down to the xfinity office to talk to them and dude said down at Xfinity it's going to be $151 next month…..and I said fine!. Come next month my bill was $245 then it escalated to $400.. I wouldn't pay it,and they shut me off. Now I got a collection agency telling me I owe them $450 for something I never even ordered. I gave them their equipment back and told him to shove it up their ass.

. Are you happy with your cable provider?  So many Americans now are Cutting that cord and I am one of them! Can't say I love antenna TV, all the old Hogan's Heroes, I Dream of Jeannie ,excetera excetera --But it sure beats paying $170 a month

What is your opinion about this whole cable CRAP??I don't know maybe I'll just get a fire stick….. I wonder what I can do with a firestick?? LOL.......Dance

A lot of money for a lot of re-runs. Cable cutting is good! More time for sex!!!!

Well now you will save enough to see a  lady of your choice, once a month. So 12 ladies a year. Look at that as the silver linning.

I use Hulu and Netflix. 

My SO still insists on having direct TV for his sports and he pays the bill. 

I think that it is ridiculous to pay that much for TV. 

I have better things to do with my time than sit and watch TV, most of it is negative anyway.

I cut the cord a long time ago. I don't miss much of anything, there are plenty of channels over the air to fill any down time.

I pay 40 bucks for basic cable, I don't watch much TV.

Comcast $115 a month.

TV only, all HD channels, two boxes and no pay channels.

I negotiate price once a year.

Im happy.

5 hours ago, Sundance said:

Internet service   and cable TV has gotten outrageously expensive and I finally had it!!! Between internet and TV, I was paying over $170 and it still didn't have every major channel.. I only had HBO  and Starz. Comcast came into a new thing a couple of months ago where they weren't giving you anything for free anymore!!! All of a sudden from one month to the next, I was paying 150 and then I was paid $260 for the same thing I had the month before . I never ordered  all the channels they gave me for free. I went down to the xfinity office to talk to them and dude said down at Xfinity it's going to be $151 next month…..and I said fine!. Come next month my bill was $245 then it escalated to $400.. I wouldn't pay it,and they shut me off. Now I got a collection agency telling me I owe them $450 for something I never even ordered. I gave them their equipment back and told him to shove it up their ass.

. Are you happy with your cable provider?  So many Americans now are Cutting that cord and I am one of them! Can't say I love antenna TV, all the old Hogan's Heroes, I Dream of Jeannie ,excetera excetera --But it sure beats paying $170 a month

What is your opinion about this whole cable CRAP??I don't know maybe I'll just get a fire stick….. I wonder what I can do with a firestick?? LOL.......Dance

It sucks when you pay more than agreed upon.  I hope they get it straightened out and cutting the cord can work just fine for many of us. 

I stream everything except live sport events on broadcast TV.  With sharing a Netflix subscription and being able to stream most of my favorite shows that are on the major networks, I have plenty to watch...and I get to watch what I want when I want to watch.

I HAVE to be able to watch Rockies baseball, but AT&T (Direct TV) has that tied up. I'd love to find another option. :angry:

I love my fire stick, I don't have Netflix or anything other provider. I pay for HBO and Starz and have plenty to watch between those three options.

10 hours ago, Alex Majors said:

Well now you will save enough to see a  lady of your choice, once a month. So 12 ladies a year. Look at that as the silver linning.

Pretty sure person who posted this is a provider lol.

I cut the cord about 6 years ago haven’t looked back since! Now I pay about $40 a month for Netflix, Hulu, STARZ, hbo, cinamax and Amazon prime video! Plus local over the air channels! 

4 hours ago, Hvnaball2 said:

I HAVE to be able to watch Rockies baseball, but AT&T (Direct TV) has that tied up. I'd love to find another option. :angry:

If you subscribe to MLB (about $115 per year, not month) and use VPN you are golden - even blackout games as I understand it.

http://mlbstream.tv/colorado-rockies-live-stream/

As long as you have high speed internet you have many, many options - Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, etc.  Just Comcast and others assume if you get internet from them you will fall for the bundle specials etc. and be lazy and pay their exorbitant prices for largely worthless channels they provide.  Even the premium channels are pretty pathetic anymore except for their own programming - some of which is decent, most of which is not so much!

8 minutes ago, gr8owl said:

As long as you have high speed internet you have many, many options - Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, etc.  Just Comcast and others assume if you get internet from them you will fall for the bundle specials etc. and be lazy and pay their exorbitant prices for largely worthless channels they provide.  Even the premium channels are pretty pathetic anymore except for their own programming - some of which is decent, most of which is not so much!

I'm one of those people who spend way too much for cable.  I use baseball as my excuse this time of year.  I have other excuses for other times of the year.  I need to get smarter about this stuff.  Good thread.

Sister's family is looking to cut the cord on satellite, however, not going smoothly. 

They have some Firesticks around the house, and in general works well for Netflix, Amazon. Hulu on the other hand, lots of buffering. Because of that, they are thinking of ditching the satellite for local cable company, one of those "get two years at a low price of $xx" new customer deals and then figure out who to move to next when that is up.

The real catch to cutting the cable is Internet access.  In TX “free” WiFi is part of my lot rent, so over-the-air channels are what I get (along with the ambulance chasers and chat line advertisements).  But in Denver, I need the cable for Internet access, unless I want to max out the data plan on my phone.

Edited by Bit Banger

6 hours ago, Hvnaball2 said:

Go to the sports bar.

57 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

The real catch to cutting the cable is Internet access.  In TX “free” WiFi is part of my lot rent, so over-the-air channels are what I get (along with the ambulance chasers and chat line advertisements).  But in Denver, I need the cable for Internet access, unless I want to max out the data plan on my phone.

Do you not have access to Comcast/Xfinity? I have internet only and have had it that way for years.

I cut the cord 2 yrs ago. I have screw-you-finity for internet. $79/ month. An outside antenna for local channels. I use Philo ($20/month) for streaming service. I use A Roku device for streaming Philo.

I filed a complaint with the Colorado Attorney Generals Office against Comcast and their collection agency when I was hounded for someone else bill that did not/never did live at my address.  Give the AG Office the name, address, and phone of the collection agency in your complaint.  When the Colorado AG contacts a company, it gets their immediate attention and results. All this can be done on line.

Friends say they are happy with Century Link for internet. I will try them next time Comcast tries to raise my rates.

Edited by inkspot
Add Roku Device

1 hour ago, Audrey Astor said:

Go to the sports bar.

Now that would cost much more than cable. :o

I cut the cord 4 years ago and don't miss it at all.  I have netflix and amazon prime.  Those 2 work for me.  I watch more youtube then anything else and I don't watch sports at all so there is nothing on tv that I need . I don't mid paying money for tv,  but when you pay 150+ a month to watch couple shows a week it feels like waste of money.

In my condo development, Xfinity is the only option for cable.  Satellite services are not allowed.  During a remodel project years ago my wife buried the roof antenna connection in the wall because she figured she’d never use it. 

So many books, so many boat rides, so many dinners, plays, music...classes,...  friends; so little time. 

I cut the cord 5yrs ago. Had been contemplating but always some excuses.  Electrical event takes out the satellite system electronics and it took me 5 wks to get around to call. I figured that was the great spirit's message on cable to me.  

As to spending my money elsewhere, great idea!  The cable guys have historially received printing presses along with most franchise agreements. They don't miss me in the slightest. 

I not only cut the cord with cable and satellite, I got rid of my tv four years ago. I play on the computer some and have once again  found the enjoyment of reading a good book! I seriously don't miss any of it.

On 5/30/2019 at 0:04 PM, Crystyna said:

Pretty sure person who posted this is a provider lol.

If not she certainly has provider pictures and they are nice.

I was curious what this  forum thread was about. You guys are really talking about cable tv.  :rolleyes: Gotta love it.  Maybe I'll get some ideas here for car servicing. 

I think it comes down to how fast you want and/or need your internet speed. via a wired connection Cable or Fiber Optics would be the best.

from the google-net---> "The Average Internet Package. The available internet packages will vary greatly by location but on average cost about $50.00 per month for about 100 Mbps of speed. When you opt for less-expensive packages, you tend to get fewer Mbps per dollar. Mar 28, 2018"

If you want faster the cost may go up to $65.00 -$85.00 per month.

Beyond that::  I think the additional content you receive and how you bundle that would be up for debate for sure....

3 hours ago, Liliane Rousseau said:

I was curious what this  forum thread was about. You guys are really talking about cable tv.  :rolleyes: Gotta love it.  Maybe I'll get some ideas here for car servicing. 

All you gotta do is start a new thread and ask. 😉💙