airamericavet65

Memorial Day weekend

22 posts in this topic

"And they who for their country die shall fill an honored grave, for glory lights the soldier's tomb, and beauty weeps the brave."

*Joseph Rodman Drake.

Thank you airamericavet.

1 hour ago, airamericavet65 said:

It's Friday and we're about to start a three-day celebration honoring those who served in our military sacrificing so that our freedoms and way of life are there for us to enjoy. As we remember their service and enjoy our parades and picnics and hopefully sunshine please try to take a moment to remember those who's only recognition comes with a nameless star on a wall. God bless all.

Amen

Remember that Memorial Day was established to honor the fallen of our most tragic, but very worthwhile, conflict - The War Between The States.  A conflict which pitted brother against brother.  Some say it was fought to abolish slavery.  Others say it was fought to defend states’ rights.  Regardless, it shaped who we are today.

2 hours ago, airamericavet65 said:

It's Friday and we're about to start a three-day celebration honoring those who served in our military sacrificing so that our freedoms and way of life are there for us to enjoy. As we remember their service and enjoy our parades and picnics and hopefully sunshine please try to take a moment to remember those who's only recognition comes with a nameless star on a wall. God bless all.

+1

Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them (fdr)

Thank you fishndude.

On a recent trip to NYC, I stopped by Battery Park (named after the battery of cannons that protected New York Harbor), and was quite humbled by the thousands of names engraved in the memorial monoliths who perished for our sake. It makes you realize how silly we are in the present generation to get upset about being cut off in traffic or somesuch triviality.

With everlasting appreciation to our fallen, and to those who serve on our behalf.

Memorial_Wall_in_NYC's_Battery_Park_experienced_no_damage after_Sandy.JPG

Edited by cgrey109

My guess is 3/4 of the younger crowd 18-30 don't even think about the meaning of this weekend, just an extra day off work!

So sad!

God bless America and ALL our brave soldiers....

And here I thought it was just a weekend for driving around The Brickyard. 😛 {\sarcasm}

This weekend is about remembrances.  Many of us have lost people during wartime.  Between my family and friends, we have lost people in WWI, WWII, the Koren Conflict, the Vietnam war, the mid-east and other places around the world.  I am grateful to those who have sacrificed.  A number of my family are buried in military cemeteries.  We will not forget.

3 hours ago, johnnybgood said:

My guess is 3/4 of the younger crowd 18-30 don't even think about the meaning of this weekend, just an extra day off work!

So sad!

God bless America and ALL our brave soldiers....

They  aren't thankful for what has been handed down to them.  Schools don't teach  this to  them, about how they have all these rights. Don't forget  those who have been lost also  in peacetime. Many are lost due to tralning accidents. Some at sea are never recovered. 

4 hours ago, johnnybgood said:

So sad!

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority, they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise...."

-Socrates (469-399 BC)

OK, OK, both my dad and father in law were in the big one, and we put flowers on the graves every year and honor their service.  Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure that the reason that they both risked their lives was so that their grandchildren could enjoy freedom - including the freedom to enjoy a beautiful spring day as they wish.  Of course we should honor those who serve, especially the ones who paid a dear price, but there is no reason to go off on a tangent trashing the young folks, how do you know what they are thinking?  I know my kids are going to go with me to put a flag on grandpa's grave.

Happy Memorial Day, enjoy as you wish, that it is the gift that the fallen gave you.

1 hour ago, BadBoy said:

OK, OK, both my dad and father in law were in the big one, and we put flowers on the graves every year and honor their service.  Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure that the reason that they both risked their lives was so that their grandchildren could enjoy freedom - including the freedom to enjoy a beautiful spring day as they wish.  Of course we should honor those who serve, especially the ones who paid a dear price, but there is no reason to go off on a tangent trashing the young folks, how do you know what they are thinking?  I know my kids are going to go with me to put a flag on grandpa's grave.

Happy Memorial Day, enjoy as you wish, that it is the gift that the fallen gave you.

Protecting all of our freedoms is what they paid for

7 hours ago, johnnybgood said:

... and ALL our brave soldiers....

Amen - every last one of them!

Okay badboy, I apologize if you think I was referring to every younger kid today, I was referring to a majority of them that is all.  I love to take in a couple cold beers whether I'm at a Rockies game, and outside Cafe or just people watching on the 16th Street Mall.

The one constant that I see over and over is that 17 to 25 year old group and how disrespectful they are to anyone around them.  It's like so many of them have never been taught any manners at all.  They often mock and make fun of old people, disabled people, overweight people in an open manner that lacks any sensitivity to the people watching them act this way.

I also have two well raised childen in this age group and I'd still pop them up beside the head if I ever seen them treat others the way I see "some" of these other kids do.

Would one of you tech savvy individuals please, please post the video of Radney  Foster's Angel flight, (Tower mix). Please!? I have tried several times and cannot make it happen. This video is what Memorial Day is all about

In memory of those who laid down their lives. Let us not forget!  🇺🇸

Happy Memorial Day!