oldertruckguy-9225

I got dirt under my nails!!

19 posts in this topic

and a few pricks from rose thorns while trimming. Loosened dirt and put down mulch around all my perennials.  I got bags, lots and lots of bags full of leaves. First time this spring out in my yard and I love it!!!

Tomorrow a trip to Lowes to spend way to much money on annuals. Time for a cold Coors original. Life is good!

1 hour ago, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

Time for a cold Coors original. Life is good!

In the stubby 1932 bottle!!  A premium beer masquerading as ordinary.

If you  don't have a chipper/shreader, you can take the dry leaves and shread them on a drive repeativly with a push mower. They make a great natural mulch too. Keeps them out of the landfill and saves you some beer money. 

23 hours ago, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

and a few pricks from rose thorns while trimming. Loosened dirt and put down mulch around all my perennials.  I got bags, lots and lots of bags full of leaves. First time this spring out in my yard and I love it!!!

Tomorrow a trip to Lowes to spend way to much money on annuals. Time for a cold Coors original. Life is good!

Sounds like a well spent day.  I'm being a homebody today, but not with yardwork.  Making some homemade spaghetti sauce with Romano and Ricotta cheese, Italian sausage, red, yellow and green peppers, mushrooms and lots of other veggies.  It's simmering and smells darned good.  Later I'm prep some bread with roasted garlic and butter.  Which means tonight, I will be in a food coma.  ;)

2 minutes ago, average1 said:

Sounds like a well spent day.  I'm being a homebody today, but not with yardwork.  Making some homemade spaghetti sauce with Romano and Ricotta cheese, Italian sausage, red, yellow and green peppers, mushrooms and lots of other veggies.  It's simmering and smells darned good.  Later I'm prep some bread with roasted garlic and butter.  Which means tonight, I will be in a food coma.  ;)

Sounds amazing!  Can you send some to Ok?😊

LOVE days like that in my yard - and yes the trip to the 'plant store' is pricey but there are few things that instill that kind of peaceful centeredness than the feeling of home...

Was wondering about this day, now i may head out some more - thank you OTG9225!

Good on ya!!

I have been saying for the past 3 weeks that I am going to get around to planting the flowers I bought but have yet to do it! Ugh i need some motivation to get my hands dirty lol. If only spring would actually arrive and stay here for more than a day!

3 hours ago, Crystyna said:

I have been saying for the past 3 weeks that I am going to get around to planting the flowers I bought but have yet to do it! Ugh i need some motivation to get my hands dirty lol. If only spring would actually arrive and stay here for more than a day!

Crystna What would it take to motivate you to get dirty?  For me it is this dang cold weather.  Went out and chopped firewood then things progressed to fertilizing the yard and cleaning up my wood shop.  Dogs needed to go for a walk and it has been raining up here for the last several days off and on so guess who found the mud puddles and had to shake the muddy water off on me.  But got cleaned up when I gave the dogs a shower and now cooking stir fry and having a nice scotch.  Life is good!

I took time to plant my vegetable garden today! The weather was perfect , it's a lot of work. I am happy that I got it done.:D

2 minutes ago, Kandi Apple said:

I took time to plant my vegetable garden today! The weather was perfect , it's a lot of work. I am happy that I got it done.:D

I gave up on that years ago. The deer population here tear up or eat anything I plant. If they don't eat it, they take a bite. Only way I can vegetable garden is to put up a 6ft high fence. They even eat the tips of  my roses and tulips are chewed to the ground. 

19 hours ago, Laci French said:

Sounds amazing!  Can you send some to Ok?😊

Laci, if you were here, I'd bring some to you !!  The only thing is, that when I eat spaghetti sauce, I get horny !!  Then what would we do?  ;)

I feel sorry for all of you who forgot that if you plant your garden before Memorial Day, you’ll end up replanting your garden.  Snow on Monument Hill today!

{I think I came N too soon🥵}

10 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

I feel sorry for all of you who forgot that if you plant your garden before Memorial Day, you’ll end up replanting your garden.  Snow on Monument Hill today!

It’s before mother’s day. Or at least that’s what I’ve always been told. Either way I sure as shit didn’t put anything in the ground. It’s all ready to go but figured one more week wouldn’t hurt. 

On 5/19/2019 at 5:52 PM, Crystyna said:

I for one am sick of Spring and Winter!

11 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

And everywhere else this year! Damn it! LOL 4 inches tonight plus.....I covered everything and too the remainder in to the garage. 

Between the clay soils, the feast/famine rains, extremes of day/night temperature, late (and early) season snow dumps/freezes, and generally dry air, the Front Range is a nightmare for the perennial and annual gardner alike. I spent a lot of frustrating years in denial trying like hell to turn reality into a botanic fantasy that 8 years out of 10, reality smashed into brown, withered pulp. 

My cousin in Denver told me one thing about gardening in the dirt out there. He said he couldn't raise Hell with a quart of whiskey.  Sounds like you confirm that Happymon.

On 5/21/2019 at 3:13 AM, Happymon said:

Between the clay soils, the feast/famine rains, extremes of day/night temperature, late (and early) season snow dumps/freezes, and generally dry air, the Front Range is a nightmare for the perennial and annual gardner alike. I spent a lot of frustrating years in denial trying like hell to turn reality into a botanic fantasy that 8 years out of 10, reality smashed into brown, withered pulp. 

And now you live in Hawaii!

Yay You!

The rest of us wretches grind on with CO's fickle weather! HAHA!

Some of us can’t help ourselves I spent a ton on flowers and two trees. I build a garden bed this year too 20 bags of soil. Covered the plants on those cold days and had a few not make it. Yes I love flowers and I do this every year.i l☺️ and you would think I would know better! 😂😊