Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vassago

Good People Where I Call Home

15 posts in this topic

When I drink I make an ass out of myself. I don’t make any sense ... but I mean every word of it, until I don’t.

Be kind to one another if it’s possible and have a great day.

11 hours ago, Vassago said:

When I drink I make an ass out of myself. I don’t make any sense ... but I mean every word of it, until I don’t.

Sober over 5 years, almost 6 now. Sure the hell don't miss those days.

1 hour ago, HitmanAce said:

Sober over 5 years, almost 6 now. Sure the hell don't miss those days.

Congratulations, that is a major accomplishment.

Hats off to you sir.

5 hours ago, goodguy69 said:

Congratulations, that is a major accomplishment.

Hats off to you sir.

Thank you! Sometimes I reflect back on those days and can't believe I am still living today.

4 hours ago, HitmanAce said:

Thank you! Sometimes I reflect back on those days and can't believe I am still living today.

Congratulations. I knew two girls who almost didn't make it either. The hospital saved one and the court another.  It was a sobering effect for both. The same fifth of whiskey one drank in a night, lasted me for years. 

I got lucky!  After watching my father dry out in an ICU I backed off my alcohol consumption before I became dependent.  I can still enjoy the taste of a beer or Scotch.  Some days I even splurge and have two. 😱

Hats off to those who took the pledge.

Edited by Bit Banger

For me, I try to limit myself to two glasses of Merlot or Malbec with food or up to two Jamesons (no soda pop added, just a splash of water on the rocks).  On a super crazy night, maybe all of the above.  But very infrequently. 

Every time go to doctor  (now frequently) they ask me how much I drink. I tell them a scotch almost every evening a a glass wine with dinner.  Seems ok so that's my limit. As I told my father in law,if you've lived until over 80 a drink won't hurt you. I'm there now.

9 hours ago, Alex Majors said:

Congratulations. I knew two girls who almost didn't make it either. The hospital saved one and the court another.  It was a sobering effect for both. The same fifth of whiskey one drank in a night, lasted me for years. 

Thank you! Good for those 2 girls. I hope that they are still going strong.

Had much fun with the old C2H5OH until my liver started screaming for help on the blood tests.  After a biopsy, I was told that I could keep drinking and have another fun 2-4 years or quit drinking and have another fun 20-30 years.  Nowadays I allow myself two drinks per week.  Once I got out of the habit, I usually don't even bother with the two, but when a friend pulls out a good bottle of single-malt, I certainly enjoy those two glasses.

Party on youngsters, just listen to the innards. 

9 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

I got lucky!  After watching my father dry out in an ICU I backed off my alcohol consumption before I became dependent.  I can still enjoy the taste of a beer or Scotch.  Some days I even splurge and have two. 😱

Hats off to those who took the pledge.

That's a very sobering experience. If i wasn't for my sister and nephew, I wouldn't be writing this right now.

45 minutes ago, mountainrider33 said:

I got lucky in that I've never had a need to drink but love to drink when we have parties.  I have quite a bit of alcohol here and never touch it unless we have people over.

I would call that a blessing that you never had a need to drink. I'm proud to say that I am always the designated driver.

19 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

Had much fun with the old C2H5OH until my liver started screaming for help on the blood tests.  After a biopsy, I was told that I could keep drinking and have another fun 2-4 years or quit drinking and have another fun 20-30 years.  Nowadays I allow myself two drinks per week.  Once I got out of the habit, I usually don't even bother with the two, but when a friend pulls out a good bottle of single-malt, I certainly enjoy those two glasses.

Party on youngsters, just listen to the innards. 

Good to read that you took the 20-30 years.

Nowadays I save all that money I used on drinking and rathole it for a year. Then on my sobriety date I buy me something nice to reward myself. One year I flew a provider and I to Hawaii for a week vacation on a beach resort. I actually had to save two years for that reward but damn well worth it. LOL

On 5/14/2019 at 9:09 AM, Vassago said:

BB, did you look into my past.  That is why I've lived a life in recovery for quite a while.  Used to have a t-shirt that said,  "Instant Asshole....Just Add Alcohol".  ;)