Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bora Bora

HIV prevention drug, good news!

6 posts in this topic

Good news! apparently they have discovered a drug that would prevent HIV.

-------

Pharmaceutical giant Gilead has agreed to release its exclusive patent to manufacture and sell the HIV-prevention drug Truvada. The news is seen as a win for individuals who may be at a greater risk of contracting HIV. According to a study published by the National Institutes of Health, Truvada can reduce the risk of contracting HIV by 99 percent
Full Article Here

Assuming generic will cost 25% of brand, still pricey drug.

Add in side affects (lactic acidosis, increased other infection risks, kidney & liver problems, recurrence of hep-b [if had previously], impotence), not something you can/should be popping with one's little blue pills for playtime.

Don't get me wrong, it's a valuable medication, and can see that an ASP might want to take, anyone else, errrr...

I think I have seen this advertised on television

I’ve seen the marketing, and as I recall, the marketing was not geared towards SWs. I recall it being marketed to gay males. So it looks like we’ve seen a lot of change and acceptance over the years, but not quite that much.🙄

The news part of the good news appears to be "... has agreed to release its exclusive patent to manufacture and sell ...". The drug was approved by the FDA in August 2004.

17 hours ago, NoCoGeezer said:

Assuming generic will cost 25% of brand, still pricey drug.

Add in side affects (lactic acidosis, increased other infection risks, kidney & liver problems, recurrence of hep-b [if had previously], impotence), not something you can/should be popping with one's little blue pills for playtime.

Don't get me wrong, it's a valuable medication, and can see that an ASP might want to take, anyone else, errrr...

This ethically challenged company is licensing the drug because the patent is expiring in 2021. When they are first to have their own generic version, they are granted the exclusive marketing of their generic drug for a period of time. Nothing warm and fuzzy about this company.

Side effects from long term use are well documented.

With the cost coming down, I can see more people taking this drug for post exposure treatment for prevention of HIV.  This is not a drug you would want to take indiscriminately..