mountainman4u72

How do you take your coffee?

72 posts in this topic

Too lazy to grind my own beans anymore, primarily because the grinders are such a pain to clean. Does anyone have suggestions for easy to use and clean grinders?

Don’t use Kuerig makers because I could never find the right blend, either too weak or too strong. Also kept feeling guilty about filling the landfills with all those non-recyclable cups. Tried to use the ones with screens, but wasn’t satisfied with how they filtered. 

So back to OP, I use the French Press now. I can mix various blends to my taste and IMO has the richest flavor. 

2 hours ago, amcbl1 said:

Too lazy to grind my own beans anymore, primarily because the grinders are such a pain to clean. Does anyone have suggestions for easy to use and clean grinders?

So back to OP, I use the French Press now. I can mix various blends to my taste and IMO has the richest flavor. 

Re grinders, I bought a Krups 3500 a couple of years ago. Big box retailers sell it for $50, Amazon, can get for $30-ish when on sale ($40 normal price). Works ok, not great for coarse grind. But much better than blade grinders. Need to move up to $100 grinders to get really good grind. Cheaper ones are inconsistent, including above. Some options for better grinders:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-coffee-grinder/

But over all, as mentioned, even with not great grind, much better than blades. I will grind a few days worth of beans at a time and put it in an air resistant container to help preserve the coffee. Nice middle place vs grinding every day. Above is easy to clean if you have a pastry brush or basting brush: swipe that in the output chute, rinse the catch tub.

Ditto French press. So much more control over all all the variables in coffee making. Beans, water temperature, how long grounds steep. Have a 48oz press from REI for car camping (stainless, insulated).

Nice trick for French press: get water to boiling or near. Measure off the water needed and let sit. Add coffee to press. In the minute or so that this takes, the water temp has come down to a more ideal temperature. Pour in some of the water and stir, rest briefly (30 seconds). Add the rest of the water, put lid on, let sit for about 3:30-4:00 minutes, depending on roast and bean quality and how flavorful cup you want (trial error with first batch or two with new beans). Oh and, about one rounded tablespoon per 4oz of water. This works great for camping press in that for big amount, can start measuring things in parts of measuring cups.

If pressed for time, a simple Mr Coffee does a great job of brewing. Their water temperature is ideal, basket does not over work the beans vs cones where the grounds in the tip get worked to the max and start making bitter coffee. Turn the maker on, take your shower, pour into travel mug, out the door.

And if doing drip, spend the $5 for a reusable metal filter. Paper filters do a great job of filtering out grounds, but also filter out the "flavor nuggets" (can't recall the technical term for the molecule that provides the flavor): night and day difference, imo.

And personally, for travel mugs, get one with a ceramic lining. To me, tastes better than stainless inside.

@NoCoGeezer: And just how do you wash a mesh filter w/o sending grounds down the drain to clog your septic system or holding tanks?  This is the reason I use paper filters.  For my French press, I use pre-packaged bags.  Sort of like oversized tea bags (Maxwell House).  Yeah, not the best coffee, but it gets the job done.

For special coffee, I use a stove top expresso  pot.  The cake knocks out onto a paper towel, then wipe with a corner of that towel.

Edited by Bit Banger

I lived in a home with a septic system for 20 years and never worried about grinds, and we drink a lot of French press coffee.  Never had a problem, never had to pump.

At our altitude, water boils at 200 degrees, which is the perfect temperature for making coffee, no need to let it cool for a minute.

I prefer to grind fresh every morning and use a French press.

I’ll tell you what those discarded grounds are really good for - compost! 😏

18 hours ago, NoCoGeezer said:

Re grinders, I bought a Krups 3500 a couple of years ago. Big box retailers sell it for $50, Amazon, can get for $30-ish when on sale ($40 normal price). Works ok, not great for coarse grind. But much better than blade grinders. Need to move up to $100 grinders to get really good grind. Cheaper ones are inconsistent, including above. Some options for better grinders:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-coffee-grinder/

But over all, as mentioned, even with not great grind, much better than blades. I will grind a few days worth of beans at a time and put it in an air resistant container to help preserve the coffee. Nice middle place vs grinding every day. Above is easy to clean if you have a pastry brush or basting brush: swipe that in the output chute, rinse the catch tub.

Ditto French press. So much more control over all all the variables in coffee making. Beans, water temperature, how long grounds steep. Have a 48oz press from REI for car camping (stainless, insulated).

Nice trick for French press: get water to boiling or near. Measure off the water needed and let sit. Add coffee to press. In the minute or so that this takes, the water temp has come down to a more ideal temperature. Pour in some of the water and stir, rest briefly (30 seconds). Add the rest of the water, put lid on, let sit for about 3:30-4:00 minutes, depending on roast and bean quality and how flavorful cup you want (trial error with first batch or two with new beans). Oh and, about one rounded tablespoon per 4oz of water. This works great for camping press in that for big amount, can start measuring things in parts of measuring cups.

If pressed for time, a simple Mr Coffee does a great job of brewing. Their water temperature is ideal, basket does not over work the beans vs cones where the grounds in the tip get worked to the max and start making bitter coffee. Turn the maker on, take your shower, pour into travel mug, out the door.

And if doing drip, spend the $5 for a reusable metal filter. Paper filters do a great job of filtering out grounds, but also filter out the "flavor nuggets" (can't recall the technical term for the molecule that provides the flavor): night and day difference, imo.

And personally, for travel mugs, get one with a ceramic lining. To me, tastes better than stainless inside.

Thanks for all the recommendations for a better cup of brew. I keep forgetting about wirecutter.com. They seem to offer the most objective reviews. I hate the reviews on Amazon because so many of them are bogus even those that are verified purchasers. Half the reviews there are for the same brand of product but not necessarily the same model.

On 4/12/2019 at 9:49 PM, amcbl1 said:

Run some UNCOOKED five minute rice grains through the grinder.

I avoid coffee.Just never liked the taste when I tried it or the smell. Didn't own a coffee maker for decades,until a gorgeous model friend stayed at my home for a week and was cranky until she had her first cup. Haven't used it since she left.

Starbucks a dopio espresso and in the winter a triple grande vanilla latte. 

I'm just old school coffee ,, Good To The Last Drop  .. with Half & Half 

Light to medium roast regular coffee black with rum