Audrey Astor

What do we need for the big one?

35 posts in this topic

Well according to the news, we will be getting 2”-10” of snow.:rolleyes: Some are saying it could be the biggest snow storm here in a decade. So, if we get snowed in, what items or things do we need to make sure we have stocked?:D

Dunno, if the heat goes out tho I'll put on my ice fishin duds, and I know for a fact, if I have to take leak, it's hard to find 2" of Peter in 10" of duds. :P

You need a source of heat, dry wood for the wood stove. Food, wine, and cigars. I will get snowed in for sure where I live. Ladies are welcome to join me and ride the storm out.

Fish,You can come also since you are good cook.

Edited by wglide2003
additions

Whiskey, Chocolate,GOT re-runs and A big fat Dagwood!

Based on the title, I was going to suggest a nice relaxing drink, your favorite lube and a good attitude.  After reading the body of your post I would suggest extra food (canned meats, veggies, sweets and water.  Candles for heat and light, extra blankets and your favorite sweet treat.

Tater soup, crackers, Hershey bars, chocolate chip cookies, milk and extra TP.

I feel like I need a warm woman to snuggle up with, maybe get snowed in together!  💞

a warm fire and my dogs - snowstorm or not - that's all i ever really need to get through any winter day...

and a good book and some lanterns in case the power goes out...

I have always been well stocked on cigars, whiskey, beer, coffee.

Aside from that, the freezer has always had a fair amount of meats, sausages, roasted chilies, ice cream. Eggs, cheese, bacon in the fridge. Pantry has pasta, rice, canned tomatoes, garlic, onions, broths, bread, flour, cornmeal, popcorn, etc. I can hold up for a number of weeks. Worst comes to worst, can dip into the car camping box with various dehydrated items (ramen, oatmeal, cocoa).

That said, oy! News gets more "if it bleeds, it leads" over the years. Or more wimpy CA/TX folks coming in. Can think back to 2013-ish where big storm came in this time of year. 2016. 2009. 2006-ish as well. Mid-late 90s where saw some dude in a Porsche trying to go through a couple of feet of snow and ice under that. Numerous trips on I-70 where road closed at Vail Pass, Glenwood and have to hunker down until the road opens.

It's March! Some big snows hit (and melt quick).

Only really concerning time was the 2013 floods. Fell asleep on the couch. Woke to the sound of rushing water and the TV sending an emergency alert about evacuating an area less than a block away from me. Flood waters came within about 50-60 feet of the house. Took a couple of days for roads to become passable to get out of the hood and be able to hit the local watering holes. Oh, yeah and, the groceries that were open (secondary concern, as neighborhood watering holes were shut).

Since when does a Denverite need to worry about a storm that is "predicted" to drop 2-5 inches of snow?!  Pussies!

1 hour ago, Fritzie said:

Since when does a Denverite need to worry about a storm that is "predicted" to drop 2-5 inches of snow?!  Pussies!

Exactly.... Not worried about anything, I haven't seen any REAL snow since the 90's except for maybe the beginning of the early 2000's, but definitely the last true storm might have been the 2007 storm. It's everyone from out of state (most of Colorado now days) that freak out over a few inches that will melt by the next day at the latest... When we used to get feet of snow and snow storms that lasted for weeks... There is NOTHING to fret over unless you have livestock to take care of...

Geeze, I’m get into my RWD car and going to work. Such a bunch of noise over nothing.

4”-8” BFD. 12” of snow is an inconvenience, but it will be gone with a day or 2.

But 50-60 mph sustained winds will make this a big deal with whiteouts and drifts several feet high.

The biggest snowfalls in Denver since 2003 are:

February 2-4, 2012 - 15.9”

December 20-21, 2006 - 20.7”

March 17-19, 2003 - 31.8”

Most of the rest of the snowfalls don’t even begin to compare.

Is it gonna snow or something? :rolleyes:

I should have stayed in Vegas......😁

Edited by MeganMarie4u

The headlines trumpet that the thing has got an evil sounding name and has "category 1" winds. For God's sake people, you're getting snow. For Category 1 winds down here, I put an extra line on the boat. Plus, it'll likely be 50 and sunny by Friday.  

Anyone who doesn't think the primary agenda of the media is to distract, pacify, divide and spread massive quantities of FUD, hasn't been watching. Its a snowstorm and you're hardly the Donner Party. 

Edited by Happymon

The weather lately has been crazy, this morning snowing, 60 mph wind gusts, hearing thunder at the same time, WTF. 

The biggest problem will be with traffic when the storm is over.  Up north we are predicted for 18".  The main problem is this dammed wind!!!  It is howling like a banshee here. Just stay inside for awhile and enjoy the best you can.  I have plenty of food and 2 great dogs to keep me company.  They like being out in the weather but now that I am getting older the cold bothers me a little more but they still insist on their walks.  Netflix has some great shows. 

I know it must be hard for the ladies that need to work to pay the bills.  Maybe just maybe now that the activity has been curtailed the business will pick up a lot when things get back to some semblance of normalacy.  I know I will be in the hunt.

The skies are clear (they should be after the 30mph sustained, 50+mph gusts last night).  The high today? 93. The low tonight? 70 😜

I’ve seen my share of Denver snows. My 1st winter in CO a Christmas storm closed Stapleton. When I finally did arrive it was several days before I could get my car out of the parking lot.

But Denver has always had mild temperatures (imho).  WI winters regularly produced 20-30 BELOW temps. 

Yes, Denver often gets an upslope dump in the Spring. It’s gone in a few days 😁

Edited by Bit Banger

Bit, you are the envy of the Denver Crowd right now but we are trying have faith that "This will pass".

7 minutes ago, wglide2003 said:

Bit, you are the envy of the Denver Crowd right now but we are trying have faith that "This will pass".

Yes, it will pass. Summer will arrive.  But until then I leave you with this.

Whatever you need be safe getting it

2 hours ago, Happymon said:

The headlines trumpet that the thing has got an evil sounding name and has "category 1" winds. For God's sake people, you're getting snow. For Category 1 winds down here, I put an extra line on the boat. Plus, it'll likely be 50 and sunny by Friday.  

Anyone who doesn't think the primary agenda of the media is to distract, pacify, divide and spread massive quantities of FUD, hasn't been watching. Its a snowstorm and you're hardly the Donner Party. 

M Albert the grocery stores are in cahoots with the media🤣

2 hours ago, Happymon said:

5 minutes ago, Audrey Astor said:

Right? 😂

I was thinking more along the lines of whatever your preference is to get your buzz on, comfort food and munchies, maybe a warm body. I 💙 snow days!! 

25 minutes ago, Audrey Astor said:

It's the Pentaverate behind it, I tell ya!

7 hours ago, BadBoy said:

Geeze, I’m get into my RWD car and going to work. Such a bunch of noise over nothing.

Good Luck, It's the high winds and poor visibility they are worried about. The East West streets will be the parking lots.

Staying in today where it is nice and toasty, ironically watching movies, the Perfect Storm. Lol. 

Just drove my RWD car to see one of the TOB lovely ladies, who literally blew me away with her beauty and talents. She did seem glad to see me on this snowy lonely day. Quite the sport on the way home from her Incall, slaloming around all the stuck AWD SUVs. Now I’m sitting in front of the fire, dog on my lap and a huge grin on my face. I love this sport.

YMMV

11 hours ago, Funl0veR said:

Scotch, chocolate, Audrey and Laci 😘

Double snuggle!