Irenicus5

PAIN

46 posts in this topic

On 3/14/2019 at 2:02 PM, Bit Banger said:

Fractures don’t hurt nearly as much as torn (or stretched) ligaments & muscles.. Ugh!

Yep...had a groin tear a few years ago that took months to heal and hurt like mad the first couple of months.  Many years ago I shattered my ankle and tore off the ligaments and tendons.  What really hurt about that was the physical rehab after the cast came off.  About 8 months of trying to get strength and flexibility back.  But the recovery pain was worth it in the long run.

Hard to verify, but I am told that a kidney stone can equal the pain of childbirth.  I had one occur while on a 4 hr flight to Orlando.  I didnt know what it was, so I was a bit frightened. Came thisclose  to telling the flight attendant that I had an emergency medical condition.  A bunch of ibuprofen took the edge off enough to land.   Got to the emergency room and met my new best friend, Mr. Morphine. As the saying goes, "This, too, shall (did) pass". 

On 3/19/2019 at 3:28 PM, Milos Vesely said:
You see that? That there. Mary Ellen Moffat. She broke my heart.
-Hooper

Sorry, but that was from Jaws, not Hooper (but both are great flix!)

used to ride broncs in a rodeo one time I tried a bull.  didn't last too long but he tromped on me.  luckily I was not gored

also worked construction for several summers.  had a co worker accidentally nail my hand to a wall we were building.  they had to use a crowbar to get me unnailed.  that hurt

one time I was constipated for 4 days after having surgery.  passing that one was the worst yet.

I was flash burned. Lucky it was winter. I was wearing thick clothes.  It was just like the coyote and road runner. My head had 1st to 3rd degree burns. Someone had tampered with the line and the room filled with gas. I had only about 3 seconds to close my eyes, before the gas ignited.  It took about an hour before my nerves kicked back in. Very painful. In a couple of days, I could pull off  patches of skin, the size of the palm of my hand.  Like a very bad sunburn. The worst took months to fully heal. Six  months before I could get my hair trimed. I will never forget the smell or sound of my hair burning. 

On 3/9/2019 at 10:12 PM, Irenicus5 said:

Growing up we have all had our share of cuts and bruises...  

Some are worse than others, and may have had you shaking in your boots...  

Have you had any major injuries in your life?  Did you cry?  Did you wonder if you could ever heal?  

Did you stay calm while those around you pooped their pants?

What was your biggest injury moment and how did it grow you?

Thoughts?

Personally I have been blessed with a plethora of pain throughout my time... but the one that stands out was when my Sensei took my left leg , left knee and slammed it 90 degrees the opposite direction  to  the left during a "kick defense" demonstration.  Foot was pointing 90 degrees to the left while my leg was straight  after medical assistance it was found  it was just dislocated. .  Thought for sure it broken until it magically popped back into place... almost the best "release" I've  ever had when it realigned itself… 

I broke my very first bone about 2 weeks ago. My BIG TOE! Never have I felt such pain. I cried like a baby even though I was trying not to. In my mind I was telling my self to stop crying - but the tears kept coming. After that initial blast of pain that seemed to last an eternity, I was left with what felt like a heart beat throbbing in my toe. That night I had a dinner date that was planned weeks before so I could not cancel. I drove 30 minutes with an ice pack on my right foot and used my left foot to brake and accelerate (not recommended) !!! When I got to the restaurant my entire foot felt frozen which I though was a good thing until I stepped out of my car. OMG - the valet had to grab me because my leg gave out. He then walked me to the table wearing one shoe. Fortunately I was wearing black nylons. So since day day one I have been putting an ice pack on and elevating it.

9 hours ago, AmberAustin69 said:

I broke my very first bone about 2 weeks ago. My BIG TOE! Never have I felt such pain. I cried like a baby even though I was trying not to. In my mind I was telling my self to stop crying - but the tears kept coming. After that initial blast of pain that seemed to last an eternity, I was left with what felt like a heart beat throbbing in my toe. That night I had a dinner date that was planned weeks before so I could not cancel. I drove 30 minutes with an ice pack on my right foot and used my left foot to brake and accelerate (not recommended) !!! When I got to the restaurant my entire foot felt frozen which I though was a good thing until I stepped out of my car. OMG - the valet had to grab me because my leg gave out. He then walked me to the table wearing one shoe. Fortunately I was wearing black nylons. So since day day one I have been putting an ice pack on and elevating it.

Did you ever get yourself checked out by a medical doctor? I realize they can’t do much for a toe. However, just to be safe? Do as you feel best for you. Going through life with ice packs doesn’t sound like living. Also later in life all those pains come back full circle. 

11 hours ago, coolhand luke said:

one time I was constipated for 4 days after having surgery.  passing that one was the worst yet.

Hahaha..... That reminds me of trying to take a crap after eating MRE's for a few days.... Never any fun, I always dreaded when I finally had to go

2 hours ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

Did you ever get yourself checked out by a medical doctor? I realize they can’t do much for a toe. However, just to be safe? Do as you feel best for you. Going through life with ice packs doesn’t sound like living. Also later in life all those pains come back full circle. 

Yes, and the doc just buddied my big toe to the one next to it with a bandage. There is not much that can be done with a broken toe

I used to post a long while back and started lurking again. this thread drew me back in and inspired me to comment. So here goes.

Amber,  so sorry to hear about your big toe, a broken toe is one thing, but to have it be your big toe has got to be worse than any other, especially when you depend on putting weight on it for balance! Hope you are healing up alright.

I've seen the inside of too many ER's, I've had plenty of staples and lots of scars to go with which makes me worry about getting 'older'. Hell I am already old, just took a while to get here. Personally I survived an auto accident years ago and spending time in the gym helps keep the pain at bay but with every passing bday I worry when the arthritis and joint pain will set in from the accident. Last thing anyone wants is to feel like the cant do what they want to. And, it takes a toll on one's  personal self worth and confidence. Put on a brave face, but damn looking in the mirror is hard. Especially  when everyone around you has moved on, but you live with the reflection in the mirror. Probably another way of putting it would be, the body healed, but has the heart and mind? I fi d now it is important that both heal, in order to move forward. I could babble on about this, but its not my thread. 

thx for reading.

On 3/26/2019 at 9:43 PM, Keyser said:

Sorry, but that was from Jaws, not Hooper (but both are great flix!)

Hooper was the oceanographer tagging along with Quint and the sheriff.

On 3/29/2019 at 1:25 PM, Milos Vesely said:

Hooper was the oceanographer tagging along with Quint and the sheriff.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!  I gotcha!

On 3/11/2019 at 11:47 AM, JoDoe27 said:

I’ll add my motorcycle incident to the growing list of relatables. 

I had a guy just blow through a light well after traffic was flowing. Old guy that got confused. 

1. Broken left femur (rod in it)

2. fractured pelvis

3. right knee (ACL, LCL, PCL, meniscus) completely destroyed and now rocking cadaver parts

4. Left radius, ulna, humerus shattered

5. Dislocated shoulder

6. Severed left delt

7. Fractured almost all my ribs

8. Right ankle loss of dorsiflexion 

9. Two fractured vertebrae 

10. Soft tissue deep bruising (lungs and heart)

To answer the questions I didn’t think I would recover physically or mentally, and it sure hasn’t been easy that’s for sure. I didn’t cry in moment but some tears later the following day (the mental aspect). 

I've blown out my left knee three times (ACL,Patella tendon meniscus the whole works) and my right ankle twice playing football, stupid I know. Budged 2 discs in by back and one in my neck working construction when I was a younger man (desk jockey now) Blew out my neck 3 months ago again. Don't ask about the surgery, not what they promised to say the least... but the worst thing now is my feet. Declining arches, I went from a size 10 to a size 13. Nothing seems to help. Between that and my back (inoperative) I'm in a lot of pain everyday. I'm resisting the Doc's telling me I need to be on pain management drugs (Opiods)  Christ, I don't like to take aspirin most of the time. So, I go on trying to ignore all of it. Not bitching but I miss how I felt years ago when I was young and living life recklessly..Oh, wait, that's how I got to where I am now! HAHA Never mind. I'm good, life is good. Life is pain free, ask anyone that's under 35.

My previous response was the burns I had.  After the last couple of days I think I might have to change that to having a stent put into your kidney.  It kind of feels like a knife in your kidney twisting every time you go.  Take care and have a great day everyone.

I have Gout, but with the wonder of ancient topical Indian remedies, combined with anti-inflammatory essential oils, I can get through the flare ups without heavy duty kidney harming meds. So far knock on wood, that's it.