Irenicus5

PAIN

46 posts in this topic

Growing up we have all had our share of cuts and bruises...  

Some are worse than others, and may have had you shaking in your boots...  

Have you had any major injuries in your life?  Did you cry?  Did you wonder if you could ever heal?  

Did you stay calm while those around you pooped their pants?

What was your biggest injury moment and how did it grow you?

Thoughts?

Personally I have been blessed with a plethora of pain throughout my time... but the one that stands out was when my Sensei took my left leg , left knee and slammed it 90 degrees the opposite direction  to  the left during a "kick defense" demonstration.  Foot was pointing 90 degrees to the left while my leg was straight  after medical assistance it was found  it was just dislocated. .  Thought for sure it broken until it magically popped back into place... almost the best "release" I've  ever had when it realigned itself… 

I fell on ice once and seriously strained my ankle and the energy from fall travelled up my leg and snapped the top of my tibia.  The break itself wasn't the painful part but the impact of the fall and the twisting of my ankle was unreal.  I heard strange pops and crunches and assumed my foot was off at some weird angle but it wasn't.  That's probably my most painful experience but I was lucky to be back at work 9 weeks later. 

19 years old, in Vietnam, got hit near the top of my head. Still don't know if it was a bullet or shrapnel. Punched right through my steel helmet, tore a chunk out of my scalp, fractured my skull. Wounds to the scalp bleed profusely, so I thought I was about to die, laid there crying like a baby. After the shooting died down medics bandaged my head  and sedated me. I woke up in Japan the next day with a world class headache. They gave me aspirin, poked and prodded, pronounced me to be OK, and sent me back to my unit after 3 days. A lot of guys were surprised to see me, they thought I was dead. Headache lasted several weeks.

Fifty years later people still tell me I am hard headed.

Grew up in a small agricultural town on a farm.  Cuts bumps and bruises were an everyday thing.  Worse thing I had was that I got caught in a vechile fire. 1st. Thru 3rd degree burn covering about 36% of the body.  I can honestly say the fire didn’t hurt heard as bad as the doctor trying to clean the burns.

I don't consider all pain a blessing, but some pain can encourage incredible growth in many areas of life.  And there are all types of pain...physical pain, emotional pain, spiritual pain.  I wish I could remember who said, "I hope to live via my scars, but not live via my wounds."  Living fully through our healing is very different than living while still wounded.

Everyone I know has been injured or wounded in a variety of ways.  With proper care, treatment and support we can come out the other side and live full rich lives.  Without the proper care, treatment and support, lots of bad things can happen over a very long time.

I've had more broken bones than I can count.  Scars on my body from some unfortunate happenings (Being thrown through a plate glass window wasn't fun.  I had to have one ear sewn back on.).  Most of my physical injuries were well treated and I have few lasting negative effects.   Some of my emotional injuries have taken way more time and "treatment" to heal...and have affected me much more than my physical injuries.

Everything that has happened to me has made me who I am....the good times and the bad.  The people I have met along the way have also helped make me who I am.

Edited by average1
Forgot to add something

Right leg broken in 8 places between knee and ankle. Compressed disc causing nerve pain so bad I couldn’t walk 10 feet. Kidney stones. Blood clot from surgery.

Stabbed in the leg, 13 surgeries later they were able to get all the infection out of the bone.

Early weekend summer morning, no coffee left so I make a quick King Sooper run. Checked out take my bag and head out, two beautiful young ladies head in - short shorts  and bikini tops so I turn to get another look. Paying no attention my foot get caught in the bottom of those cement parking stops, me and my bag go flying in the air. Pulled and bruised my groin, hurt every time I peed, walked, stood up or made any movement for about 6 weeks. Now whenever I hear some athlete can’t play because of a pulled groin I fully understand why.

Oh my gosh, Kandi, that looks so painful. Ouch! Thank you for your service @easytimes81006. I fractured my femur as well as both sides of my pelvis in a car accident. The jaws of life and a minister saved me. Then I fell down a flight of icy cement stairs. 

My little saying, "when people around you start getting sick, and passing, it helps you figure out pretty quick what the really important things are in life".

My problem is seems to be worst with helicopters once getting into one when shrapnel from mortar shell put a big hole in my back. And the other jumping off twisting my knee then having to walk 5 miles there and back. But still like to ride in helicopters

Was touch and go for awhile for saving my leg.  Was 47 days in the hospital from a motorcycle accident--all 3 bones broken. (the other guys fault)  I"m put together with some steel and screws.  Anyone worried about being mended with steel, it works...50 years later now and going strong!!

Broken Ankle a year ago, they put in  a plate and six screws, 10weeks later I got back to walking.  When I was younger, I had a herniated disc at my L5S1, caused stripy in my right leg, piercing pain in my whole leg.  Months of PT got me back to walking without pain.

Sorry for your pain. 😒 The more you move-when you’re better able to do so. The better you will be! Don’t let inflammation set in. Stay active people. Sending healing energy to those in need. 

7 hours ago, airamericavet65 said:

My problem is seems to be worst with helicopters once getting into one when shrapnel from mortar shell put a big hole in my back. And the other jumping off twisting my knee then having to walk 5 miles there and back. But still like to ride in helicopters

I was a flight engineer on chinook helicopters man. Nothing beats flying in a helicopter 

10 hours ago, Juanmotai said:

I was a flight engineer on chinook helicopters man. Nothing beats flying in a helicopter 

Except flying a helicopter! (Which I have not yet done, but it’s on the bucket list.)

I torn the ACL in my left knee and my rotator cuff in my right shoulder to two separate training exercise in the Army.  Both effect me pretty much everyday, but not to the point where I can't still enjoy myself from time to time? :D

I escaped ‘Nam w/o a scratch, but a low level night equipment jump in Germany torqued my knee & shoulder. Ever since, they seem to give me trouble.  Nothing major; they just seem prone to injury & ache as the weather changes.

But the two that caused the most pain?  

While moving a mattress, I bulged between L5/S1.  The nerves caused my shin muscle to feel cramped.  Dilaudid bearly cut the pain. I went to a chiropractor for the first (and only) time in my life.  The pain went away, but so did my ability control that shin muscle. Now I have drop(slap) foot and a slight limp.  I think his ‘adjustment’ cut some nerves.

The other was when I laid my bike down at about 35 in a corner.  Low sided, put my foot down, and spiral fractured the bottom of both fibia & tibula.  Dr. said there were 9 pieces of one; to many to count for the other.  I still have 2 plates & 10 screws holding things together.  I got DVT & PE blood clots from that fiasco.

They came in to splint for the night, figuring surgery tomorrow (It was Sunday afternoon).  I was white knuckles on the gurney. I swore that they hadn’t given me anything for pain; my wife said otherwise.  When they came back and said they had to do it again (too tight to allow for overnight swelling), I told them not only “No!”, but “Hell NO!” Luckily a nurse came in & announced that the OR was ready.  

I’ll add my motorcycle incident to the growing list of relatables. 

I had a guy just blow through a light well after traffic was flowing. Old guy that got confused. 

1. Broken left femur (rod in it)

2. fractured pelvis

3. right knee (ACL, LCL, PCL, meniscus) completely destroyed and now rocking cadaver parts

4. Left radius, ulna, humerus shattered

5. Dislocated shoulder

6. Severed left delt

7. Fractured almost all my ribs

8. Right ankle loss of dorsiflexion 

9. Two fractured vertebrae 

10. Soft tissue deep bruising (lungs and heart)

To answer the questions I didn’t think I would recover physically or mentally, and it sure hasn’t been easy that’s for sure. I didn’t cry in moment but some tears later the following day (the mental aspect). 

I have had 17 broken bones and Can still Rock my Favorite heels. Granted it does take time and some parts maybe Weather sensitive but I healed... It always hurts.. I cried when it came to not being able to perform everyday functions, such as bathing, walking the dog, or even vacuuming the floor. Feeling like an invalid even though temporary puts a lot in perspective for when you do heal.... AFlack  really is worth it.. I advise everyone have it. 

Geeze, it's like listening to a bunch of old farts in a nursing home talking about their health.  Go outside, play!

Damn, knock on wood, I feel very lucky to not have any real issues.  Besides tearing all the ligaments in my ankle at 10 playing soccer and a broken toe or two, black eye, bumps and bruises, no injury car crahes... , I've lived a pretty issue free life. 

I wish the rest of you the best and hope I continue my luck streak.

Edited by K2dnvrfun

2 hours ago, petey-9950 said:

K2 always knock on wood my friend

After reading this thread I'm keeping a block of wood by my side to knock continually

Stubbed my toe. Darnedest thing. Felt pain for like 5 minutes or even more. Still haunts me.

1 hour ago, Everhard said:

Stubbed my toe. Darnedest thing. Felt pain for like 5 minutes or even more. Still haunts me.

That and stepping on a Toy are the two most Irritating 5 minute Pains 😂😂

No, how about stepping on a thumb tack, now that’s real pain.   And then pulling it out.

Torn quad muscle. After accumulating several bone fractures over the course of my life, none of these were as agonizing as the torn quad.

2 hours ago, Vassago said:

Torn quad muscle. After accumulating several bone fractures over the course of my life, none of these were as agonizing as the torn quad.

Fractures don’t hurt nearly as much as torn (or stretched) ligaments & muscles.. Ugh!