decafnaetd

Self-driving cars

17 posts in this topic

So I got a car with some fancy self-driving features. And of course, the first place my mind went was to what kinds of activities could happen with those newly freed up hands.

Keeping safety foremost in mind, but in the spirit of curiosity, what would you do?

Right off the bat I will say that eating behind the wheel is glorious. Never been easier. But I'm more curious about adulty things :)

Sounds like you should do a "road test" to explore the capabilities.  You know, kind of a quality control test.  Then you could report back to the car company how well it went.  ;)  And don't forget to let us know how the test goes.

I can't wait to see how the lawsuits go on those things when a self-driving car kills someone.  Guess it's still the responsibility of the driver/occupant even if their hands weren't on the wheel?

KITT doesn’t exist yet.

Beware of AI. If misused, it will disastrous.

58 minutes ago, ilovewomen said:

KITT doesn’t exist yet.

But what would the ladies say when Hasselhoff’s behind the wheel? 😄

1 hour ago, Bit Banger said:

But what would the ladies say when Hasselhoff’s behind the wheel? 😄

They would say; WoW Look at David with both hands on his half eaten hamburger just munching away....

There has already been a fatal accident with a self driving uber vehicle in Arizona last year. Not sure what happened to the person who was behind the wheel but yea, it happened. The program was terminated last I read 

5 hours ago, Bravo1 said:

I can't wait to see how the lawsuits go on those things when a self-driving car kills someone.  Guess it's still the responsibility of the driver/occupant even if their hands weren't on the wheel?

Either the review

or the accident report 

will make for very interesting reading. 

"Im sorry, officer. I assumed that this self-driving car would allow me to more fully enjoy the mobile BBBJ from this young lady.  Who knew...?" 

Mine better have leather seats, and waterproof floor mats because they are getting wet.  Sounds like a great new video!!

15 hours ago, Myotherboard81 said:

There has already been a fatal accident with a self driving uber vehicle in Arizona last year. 

I'm having great difficulty believing we'll ever have a self driving auto, on the roads of today. There are way too many unpredictable possibilities, both pedestrian and vehicular. Just recall the last time you had to hit your brakes quickly, because someone pulled in front of you with no notice.

31 minutes ago, pfunk said:

I'm having great difficulty believing we'll ever have a self driving auto, on the roads of today. There are way too many unpredictable possibilities, both pedestrian and vehicular. Just recall the last time you had to hit your brakes quickly, because someone pulled in front of you with no notice.

Between the drivers who don’t pay attention and the pedestrians who will walk out in the middle of the block and expect you to stop for them, i agree with you.

1 hour ago, pfunk said:

Oh, I think we will have self-driving vehicles. They’ll be on controlled access roads with the requirement that ALL vehicles on that road are AI and interconnected (talking to each other).  Yes, the random actions of a human (driver or pedestrian) would bollocks the whole works.

3 minutes ago, mountainrider33 said:

There have already been articles of cars that reacted faster and better than a driver would have.  The reaction speed of a computer is much faster than a person.  There was even a Tesla that pulled itself out of an ice slide.  

While a computer can "think" faster than a human brain, that doesn't mean the mechanical process of braking, steering, and avoiding a car, or human, will operate as well as a live person. 

I'll take Dale Earnhardt over a self-driving car, for now. ;) 

On 2/9/2019 at 1:01 AM, Myotherboard81 said:

There has already been a fatal accident with a self driving uber vehicle in Arizona last year. Not sure what happened to the person who was behind the wheel but yea, it happened. The program was terminated last I read 

There was a mandatory safety driver in that vehicle. Unfortunately, for the pedestrian who was killed, Uber chose a hiring policy of "social justice" instead of vetting for responsible behavior: the "safety driver" was a convicted felon who underwent a sex change. Regardless of the technological problems with the self-driving vehicle, the bottom line is that the woman is dead because the safety driver was busy watching a streaming TV show ("The Voice") on a cellphone instead of monitoring the road as required.

On 2/8/2019 at 7:09 PM, Bravo1 said:

Besides the pedestrian who was killed by the self-driving Uber, there has been at least one other fatality attributed to self-driving cars. There was a Tesla that was in self-driving mode and crashed and killed its driver. Apparently, the driver did not have his hands on the wheel and also ignored warnings from the car.