K2dnvrfun

Ah the memories

8 posts in this topic

I just spent weekend with my older sis and dad and we were talking about our childhood memories. I remember getting dropped off at my grandparents every Friday night, so my parents could have a date nite, and likely some nookie, and getting picked up on Saturday morning.

I remember watching shows like dukes of hazard, love boat, fantasy island, muppets... having chicken and rice and everything nice for dinner and mint chip icecream for dessert, plus sneaking the little Hershey bite size snacks... 

Brings back such warming memories.

Now maybe staring at those daisy dukes and some of the themes of fantasy island and love boat are what eventually led me here, but nevertheless warming memories of a simpler time with my grandparents.

What memories do you have that warm your heart and harken back good feelings of an earlier time?

The Twilight Zone, Rawhide, Gunsmoke, Star Trek, Laredo, Laugh-in, the Smothers Brothers, Bardot, Ann Margret, Goldie Hahn, the Hill in Boulder, and way too many concerts/live bands to remember.  Fishing favorite holes in solitude before everybody and his brother moved here.  Dairy Queen when it was ice cream only and outdoor seating only.  Ditto McDonalds on the no indoor seating and somehow it even seemed to taste good.  Oh, and the 25 cent per serving (size of a full lunch sack) of killer fries to go with the $ 0.99 pitchers of cold beer at Round the Corner.  The dancers - couple anyway - at the Honey Bucket.  First time meeting two ladies (one at a time) that I still see years later.  ;)  Sorry .... too long. 

Going to Grandma and Grandpa's house back in Ohio was always a treat, getting spoiled rotten!! They would always order pizza from this little mom and pop joint that made the best pies even for a little kid and I still to this day remember bow it tasted. Learned to love mushrooms on pizza!  That place is still in business more than 35 years later!!

Love this thread 

I loved visiting my grandparents when they lived in florida! We would go walk on the beach after eating at a seafood restaurant, I would go swimming in the pool at their complex and always try to get my grandpa wet even though he hated water...we would go out for ice cream and he would always get pistachio! He was an old school New Yorker who retired in Flawwda (pronounced with ny accent lol) which is the typical retirement destination for a lot of old folks on the east coast!

9 hours ago, StephanieHepburn said:

Love this thread 

I loved visiting my grandparents when they lived in florida! We would go walk on the beach after eating at a seafood restaurant, I would go swimming in the pool at their complex and always try to get my grandpa wet even though he hated water...we would go out for ice cream and he would always get pistachio! He was an old school New Yorker who retired in Flawwda (pronounced with ny accent lol) which is the typical retirement destination for a lot of old folks on the east coast!

Where in Fl? I grew up in south east Fl just a bit north of Ft Lauderdale. 

My grandparents lived in a retirement community. We would go to their pool, right next to the shuffleboard courts mind you. All the old ladies in the pool with their hair nets on so their hair wouldn't get wet and ruin their perms...no splashing or jumping allowed, boring pool, but fun memories. 

I remember the home my grandparents lived in with my great aunt.  Grandma cooked real fine "southern style to include totally cooked down veggies. My great aunt made great cakes and pies. When you asked for a cake the flavor was always yellow cake with your choice of icing.  

On 2/5/2019 at 7:53 PM, K2dnvrfun said:

I just spent weekend with my older sis and dad and we were talking about our childhood memories. I remember getting dropped off at my grandparents every Friday night, so my parents could have a date nite, and likely some nookie, and getting picked up on Saturday morning.

I remember watching shows like dukes of hazard, love boat, fantasy island, muppets... having chicken and rice and everything nice for dinner and mint chip icecream for dessert, plus sneaking the little Hershey bite size snacks... 

Brings back such warming memories.

Now maybe staring at those daisy dukes and some of the themes of fantasy island and love boat are what eventually led me here, but nevertheless warming memories of a simpler time with my grandparents.

What memories do you have that warm your heart and harken back good feelings of an earlier time?

I'm a little late to the nostalgia of this post! 

I miss being home, in KY, out in the country with just the silence. Not having a care in the world. Those were simpler times, definitely miss things like that.  

Fond and cherished memories are so special.  I remember my grandmother teaching me to play stickball.  I remember playing with the "wind up Victrola" in her basement.  I remember licking the spoon after frosting the cake.  I remember the two of us reading "Hardy Boy" books out loud to each other.  I remember her non-judgmental love, care and kindness.  And I remember her guinea pig "Boo".  Those memories will last a lifetime because she served as an example of living life with love, and sharing it with others.