Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vassago

Duel

4 posts in this topic

What a gorgeous day. My name is sunshine and I live in a place where we are meant to say what we mean. Ladies, pick up your Epee. Make duel with this sky if you dare.

M4OOAw3.jpg

(I know, it's a Sabre, not an Epee, but close)

23 hours ago, BadBoy said:

M4OOAw3.jpg

(I know, it's a Sabre, not an Epee, but close)

I believe it is a Rapier, Sabers have curved blades and use from horseback in a slashing mannor. Rapier is a thrusting weapon.

20 hours ago, wglide2003 said:

I believe it is a Rapier, Sabers have curved blades and use from horseback in a slashing mannor. Rapier is a thrusting weapon.

Careful, you are arguing with the 1971 Open-Class Recreational Fencing Champion.  :rolleyes: (Great story, btw, since I am not actually very good with the foil at all).

As opposed to movie sabres, a competition Sabre is rectangular and straight, essentially just a beefy foil or epee, the main difference being not so much the design of the weapon, but the way it is used and scored in competition.  You are correct that slashes in Sabre matches win points, whereas slashes are not rewarded in Foil or Epee. No competitions are conducted from horseback.

From Wikipedia:

The Sabre blade, which must be of steel is approximately rectangular in section. The maximum length of the blade is 88 cm. The minimum width of the blade, which must be at the button, is 4 mm; its thickness, also immediately below the button, must be at least 1.2 mm.

The cross-sectional profile of the sabre blade is commonly a V-shaped base which transitions to a flat rectangular shaped end with most blade variants, however this is dependent on the how it is manufactured. This allows the blade to be flexible towards the end.

Sorry, OP, it was such a wonderful post, and such a boring hijack.