oldertruckguy-9225

Great day for homemade chili

39 posts in this topic

and cornbread with corn and green chilies baked in. Mine is pretty darn good if I do say so.  Be ready in about an hour.

Bacon and eggs good anytime of the day decided to make some meatballs and sauce with some rigatoni for myself. Anything to warm the bones is a good idea today

3 hours ago, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

and cornbread with corn and green chilies baked in. Mine is pretty darn good if I do say so.  Be ready in about an hour.

Sounds great

That's good stuff right there

1 hour ago, tide32 said:

Ham and beans with cornbread.

ham-bean-soup-496b-P1010496.jpg

4 hours ago, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

It sounds pretty damn good. I lucked out and didn't have to cook today.  We have some amazing cooks on the board.  I've been fortunate to try a couple different chili's so far, and they were some of the best I've had. Enjoy your yummy dinner tonight sweetheart. 💙

If making green chili, a little trick I picked up in a recipe I saw on line for Sam's chili verde, make a roux using masa instead of flour, to thicken to one's liking. I scoop out some of the liquid and mix it with some masa, the  gradually add the mix back until I get a consistency I want.

Adds a little something to the chili vs using flour, corn starch, etc.

Edited by NoCoGeezer

I made a pretty delicious gumbo in the crockpot for dinner! Soup and warm cuddles have to be the best parts of chilly days like this! 

My sister cooked tonight and she made a feast with creamy white chicken chilli and for those of you who have never enjoyed it, I do highly recommend that you do because it is almost better than sex....Key word here being almost of course...But it was absolutely wonderful and I am getting ready to sit down and enjoy more in a couple minutes...

Made me some Miso soup, during this recent cold spell. Tasty stuff also a very good probiotic.

See the source image

Today might be a day for chicken and dumplings... 

Send some to Ok for me. So cold and the wind is just brutal. I was taking Hotzy (my shep) out for a potty and his pee was blowing sideways.😂😂

On 1/19/2019 at 8:32 AM, Laci French said:

I was taking Hotzy (my shep) out for a potty and his pee was blowing sideways.😂😂

Hopefully, you were standing upwind. :P

As someone who's only been a year in Colorado, I am still not used to the insane wind here. :o

7 hours ago, AsianLover said:

As someone who's only been a year in Colorado, I am still not used to the insane wind here. :o

I have to tell you that the CO winds I remember are mere breezes when compared to the winds in the RGV.  We NEVER leave an awning out on our trailers.  30+ is not uncommon; 5mph is a calm day.  There are miles & miles of nothing to the N, the Gulf is only a few miles away, and tall mesquite trees are barely 20’.

9 hours ago, AsianLover said:

Don't go to Wyoming then.:unsure: Their seasons are Windy, Very Windy, OMG hold on, and it's fu**ing WINDY

Edited by Audrey Astor

32 minutes ago, Audrey Astor said:

Don't go to Wyoming then.:unsure: Their seasons are Windy, Very Windy, OMG hold on, and it's fu**ing WINDY

Every time I drive I-80 it's hold on tight no matter what time of year the wind just come straight from the North Pole

1 hour ago, Audrey Astor said:

All I know is that it really sucked doing rifle qual up in Wyoming.... The wind was so bad each flag would give you a different windage, I hated it

1 hour ago, Audrey Astor said:

So true, so true. Chicago isn’t a good place to be in the winter either.

Colorado is a banana belt compared to Wyoming and Chicago.

37 minutes ago, ilovewomen said:

Wednesday forecast 1/30/2019

Chicago, IL -12°F Precipitation: 10%  Humidity: 64% Wind: 23 mph (Polar Vortex)

Denver, CO 45 °F Precipitation: 0% Humidity: 37% Wind: 8 mph

Boulder, CO 28°F Precipitation: 20% Humidity: 65% Wind: 5 mph

Cheyenne, WY 42 °F Precipitation: 0% Humidity: 27% Wind: 19 mph

Casper, WY 32°F Precipitation: 0% Humidity: 47% Wind: 19 mph

Rawlins, WY 26 °F Precipitation: 0% Humidity: 54%  Wind: 23 mph

Researched windiest City 

Got out the Chicken chili with white kidney beans. Plowing again, only been snowed in three times in the last week.

1 hour ago, ilovewomen said:

In Chicago it wasn’t a windy day unless The Hawk brought his Mother-in-law along.  Wind howling off the lake through the skyscraper canyons.

Historically Chicago is called The Windy City not because of weather conditions, but rather because of their wind bag politicians.

So bitter cold in STL that a hot bowl of chili sounds perfect. 

That made me laugh! Two years ago in November I am about 30 miles north of Laramie with several state inspectors and engineers checking pipeline struts. The wind is blowing so hard we could barely hear one another standing just a few feet apart. One of the inspectors said the exact thing!! For dinner that evening we enjoyed homemade chili, cornbread and Hilltop Doppelbock

On 1/28/2019 at 11:22 AM, Audrey Astor said:

Though I love chili, and love making it, this weekend is a spaghetti weekend.  Some friends requested it for the Super Bowl. so will be making a big batch.  Sauce will include some sun dried tomatoes, Canino's Italian Sausage, extra romano in the sauce and....veggies (it is one way I try to eat enough veggies).  Should be tasty !!

Oh, and garlic bread with lots of roasted garlic and butter.  I almost forgot about it.

Edited by average1
Forgot something

4 minutes ago, average1 said:

Though I love chili, and love making it, this weekend is a spaghetti weekend.  Some friends requested it for the Super Bowl. so will be making a big batch.  Sauce will include some sun dried tomatoes, Canino's Italian Sausage, extra romano in the sauce and....veggies (it is one way I try to eat enough veggies).  Should be tasty !!

Oh, and garlic bread with lots of roasted garlic and butter.  I almost forgot about it.

Sounds delicious!  

Pintos with chopped onions. Of course you've got to have cornbread with it!

Pintos and onions.jpg