JessicaSD

Driving in the Snow

23 posts in this topic

Being from San Diego, Ive Never really seen snow let alone drive in it.  Just wondering if you guys  have any tips for me? it does looks really pretty out my window lol thanks guys 

Leave plenty of room to stop. Now, double that. If you are sliding, turn your wheels into it (which is counter-intuitive). Slow down regardless of the a-holes flying past you.

First tip is to get all the snow off cat windows and go slow. 

Be safe pretty lady!

7 minutes ago, Laci French said:

Be safe pretty lady!

Cat windows?

From AAA:

1. Accelerate and decelerate slowly. ...
  2. Drive slowly. ...
  3. The normal dry pavement following distance of three to four seconds should be increased to eight to ten seconds. ...
  4. Know your brakes. ...
  5. Don't stop if you can avoid it. ...
  6. Don't power up hills. ...
  7. Don't stop going up a hill. ...
  8. Stay home.

I hope you get the opportunity to enjoy the snow!

Stay inside.... 😂 nobody else knows how to drive in it.... just treat it like mario kart....

Totally joking about mario kart... but really people suck at driving in the snow. Even if theyre a native.......

28 minutes ago, inkspot said:

Cat windows?

The kitty can’t be cold and needs to see😂😂

Use your favorite Uber driver and have a safe evening

Snow tires, or chains. I actually have a wonderful vehicle for snow travel so it makes it easier.

Only go out between 2:30AM and 2:37AM. But if the moon is full, only if your east of I25. And never, never go to Littleton.

1 hour ago, JessicaSD said:

Being from San Diego, Ive Never really seen snow let alone drive in it.  Just wondering if you guys  have any tips for me? it does looks really pretty out my window lol thanks guys 

The main thing is to go slow, especially if you know it’s icy.. if you start to slide, turn in the direction of the slide.. easy on the brakes and leave plenty of distance... you’ll be fine. :) 

8 minutes ago, Mdeal said:

The main thing is to go slow, especially if you know it’s icy.. if you start to slide, turn in the direction of the slide.. easy on the brakes and leave plenty of distance... you’ll be fine. :) 

There is a saying though that getting a car completely sideways is the most fun you can have in a vehicle with your clothes on. :)

32 minutes ago, airamericavet65 said:

Use your favorite Uber driver and have a safe evening

I take ubers everywhere. Uber drivers are the worst drivers when its snowing. Lol. 

28 minutes ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

I take ubers everywhere. Uber drivers are the worst drivers when its snowing. Lol. 

Use him! Nothing was said about letting him drive.:unsure::P

14 minutes ago, tide32 said:

Use him! Nothing was said about letting him drive.:unsure::P

😂😂😂

3 hours ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

Nooooo Dont say that😂 I have to UBER This weekend to a party .. On the way home is ok. I will be too wasted to know anything otherwise  😆

Edited by Chrissy

12 hours ago, JessicaSD said:

Find a school or church parking lot near you and practice stopping and starting when lot is empty. Get comfortable there before "jumping" into traffic.

16 hours ago, Laci French said:

Be safe pretty lady!

soooo I cleared the windows but didn't realize you needed to clear the roof.. came to a stop at red light  and the snow on top came flying forward thank god I was still in my hotel parking lot lol 

Slow and steady wins the race.  No quick accelerations.  No quick braking.  Remember to take your foot off the break just before you turn (otherwise, if the wheels are locked, you will continue to go straight instead of turning).  Leave LOTS of distance from the car in front of you.  Driving in snow can be kinda fun (as long as there is not a white out).  Friends say I'm weird (for more reasons than one) because I like to drive in the snow, more than I like to drive in the rain.

13 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Nooooo Dont say that😂 I have to UBER This weekend to a party .. On the way home is ok. I will be too wasted to know anything otherwise  😆

The roads look good, at least down south. You should be fine. Have fun at your party. We should both be trashed right about the same time. 😋

19 hours ago, JessicaSD said:

Just drive slower and you will get a feel for whether or not you have less traction.  Leave twice the room between you and the car in front of you.  Don't punch the gas when you take off from a stop.  If you have a manual transmission, practice downshifting instead of hitting the brakes to come to a stop.  Just don't make any sudden changes, those are what will help you lose control of your car.  No hard braking, no fast accelerations, slower turning than normal...

1 hour ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

The roads look good, at least down south. You should be fine. Have fun at your party. We should both be trashed right about the same time. 😋

💋🎉🎊😘