Kaduk

Investigation into Geolocating Smart Phones

32 posts in this topic

"T-Mobile, Sprint, and AT&T are selling access to their customers’ location data, and that data is ending up in the hands of bounty hunters and others not authorized to possess it, letting them track most phones in the country."

Phone location Data is being used in real-time tracking

Motherboard report

This sucks.  With new technology, which can be used in wonderful ways, I always worry about losing privacy.  Just the thought of being tracked or "followed" everywhere gives me the creeps.  But it is a new world and I have to find ways to adjust my perspective, and be reasonably concerned (but not overly paranoid) about the amount of information that is available about me in the cyber (and real) world.

Is switching off your location an option to avoid this?  I failed to pay taxes on a lemonade stand as a kid and I have been on the run now for 40 years.  

Only way is to be in airplane mode and GPS off. If you just turn off GPS it can still track location via wifi and or tower triangulation. It's near impossible to hide anymore.

Everytime I go to or near a restaurant Google asks me for a review, it knows.

44883020161021091352.jpg

Did you really think this kind of thing didn't happen. From the time the first satellite went up, the future was set.

Hey guys, I turned it off this am after reading the OP post and could not use Mapquest and had to turn it back on. 

1 minute ago, ilovewomen said:

Big Brother has always been watching.

Fixed it.

3 hours ago, petey-9950 said:

Hey guys, I turned it off this am after reading the OP post and could not use Mapquest and had to turn it back on. 

That's when we have to use the GPS in the car.;)

1 hour ago, Audrey Astor said:

Who's the car registered too.B)

Yet another reason to have a dedicated and entirely separate sporting phone.  If some agency ever hacked in, all that they would find out is that the unknown owner of this phone spends a lot of one-hour visits to hotels and apartments.

23 hours ago, Kaduk said:

"T-Mobile, Sprint, and AT&T are selling access to their customers’ location data, and that data is ending up in the hands of bounty hunters and others not authorized to possess it, letting them track most phones in the country."

Phone location Data is being used in real-time tracking

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/nepxbz/i-gave-a-bounty-hunter-300-dollars-located-phone-microbilt-zumigo-tmobile

Thank goodness I am a Verizon Baby 😄 Have been since its Start. Infact Since I am Still considered a PCB resident. Verizon Paid my bill from Oct- Jan 31st due to the Hurricanes :) I will not be switching carriers Ever! 

it won't matter who your service provider is, there's big money in personal data - and if there's big money in it then big business is in bed with it...

this has been going on since the advent of the smart phone - who are we kidding...

don't think apple and all those ipads are immune either - if it connects to a network it connects to logs - if it connects to logs it can be stored and farmed...

burner phones - don't cost much at all and you can jason bourne them seasonally:)

17 hours ago, Audrey Astor said:

So what your saying is drive the new truck and leave the old car at home?  Good advice A

6 hours ago, BadBoy said:

Yet another reason to have a dedicated and entirely separate sporting phone.  If some agency ever hacked in, all that they would find out is that the unknown owner of this phone spends a lot of one-hour visits to hotels and apartments.

I'm seriously considering doing this and it would be super easy to justify because I have a second business that is needing a dedicated phone. 

4 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Thank goodness I am a Verizon Baby 😄 Have been since its Start. Infact Since I am Still considered a PCB resident. Verizon Paid my bill from Oct- Jan 31st due to the Hurricanes :) I will not be switching carriers Ever! 

I have Verizon too, but I still dont trust those fuckers. 😋

37 minutes ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

I have Verizon too but my phone doesn't have tracking. 

How do I get the article to pull up? Not working on my laptop

20 hours ago, Audrey Astor said:

Be careful of this as well.  I had a 2015 Ford PU and did a deep dive into the tech specs before I installed my data logger (Rollin Coal dontcha know)  That truck came from the factory with a Black Box that could be accessed by LE.  Supposedly only in an emergency.......   If they were putting those in a pickup in 2015 I wonder what the hell is in my 19......  And who is it talking to......

Social media popping up ads for something I talked about with social media off scares the hell out of me.  

If I die please delete my history on my phone.... And my pictures and videos!

3 hours ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

:wub:

4 hours ago, BeenHereDoingThis said:

Be careful of this as well.  I had a 2015 Ford PU and did a deep dive into the tech specs before I installed my data logger (Rollin Coal dontcha know)  That truck came from the factory with a Black Box that could be accessed by LE.  Supposedly only in an emergency.......   If they were putting those in a pickup in 2015 I wonder what the hell is in my 19......  And who is it talking to......

Holy crap!

Because I keep seeing Verizon’s name appear people should know a few years ago they were fined by the SEC for tracking users without their consent and continued to do so afterwards because of a loophole. Do not kid yourself into thinking they’re somehow above the rest because they didn’t show up in this particular article. 

As for “burner phones.” If you keep the same phone number for any extended period of time you’re defeating the purpose of the burner. That number does in fact ping and can be tracked after repeated use. It might not be tied to a name like a traditional contract but what’s being logged could potentially tie to a name should anyone dig hard enough. So unless you’re changing your number often you’re still running the risk. FURTHER, even if you change your number but still use the same device it can be found through the MAC address of the device. The moment you go online that MAC address is captured. The very nature of burners make them a bit more difficult but it’s not impossible. 

TOB itself tracks a fair amount of information that it openly admits to collecting in the TOS. So really people need to find better ways of protecting themselves instead of falling back on “what worked” in the past if they are truly that concerned. 

5 hours ago, JoDoe27 said:

... So really people need to find better ways of protecting themselves instead of falling back on “what worked” in the past if they are truly that concerned. 

About the only way to avoid being tracked in modern society is to get completely off the grid. Not easy anymore to find someplace in the backwoods or swamp to hide, to give up the convienence of modern appliances, or even to eck out food & shelter w/o being noticed.  The 3rd world with vast tracts of unexplored territory isn’t much better.

6 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

About the only way to avoid being tracked in modern society is to get completely off the grid. Not easy anymore to find someplace in the backwoods or swamp to hide, to give up the convienence of modern appliances, or even to eck out food & shelter w/o being noticed.  The 3rd world with vast tracts of unexplored territory isn’t much better.

One could always try relocating here---> https://northsentinelisland.com/

18 hours ago, Kaduk said:

here is a different link dated 1/8/2019 "Phone location data is sold on black market, Motherboard investigation finds."

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/01/t-mobile-sprint-and-att-still-selling-your-location-data-report-says/

Thanks Kaduk!

Funny but very true situation for me with my cellphone is through T-Mobile/iPhone  I honestly get it. Just see all of this as being big changes of what is yet to come. So many changes going on. Just not sure how to take it?! Kind of lost emotionally in an odd way. If you can understand that?!

No nothing personal towards anyone either.