Bit Banger

Has any of you divers/snorkel crowd ...

17 posts in this topic

... tried a BOSS underwater adventure?

Planning as part of a cruise package. I snorkel, but don’t scuba.  Wondering how it will go?

Snorkeling is amazing make sure you have some training and time underwater with supervision before you try doing it in Open Water. Underwater life is truly an amazing adventure have fun and enjoy every minute

From the literature, this is a guided tour using pressurized helmets and an underwater scooter.  They claim no scuba experience is required.

I’ve been snorkeling for decades; have my own gear.  Just never bothered with scuba.

13 hours ago, mountainrider33 said:

If you're going to do scuba diving then definitely find a scuba diving class in Denver first and get very acquainted, because you don't want anything going wrong while you're a hundred feet below the surface of the water.  Which reminds me, I need to order a new PADI card

I haven't had a dive in years.  When I first got licensed, PADI didn't even exist.  Your advice is great because having some experience prior to diving "in the wild" can make for a much better experience (kind of like our experiences in our hobby world).

Went on a similar tour in Cancun.  Went about 30 - 40 feet down but we were herded by the tour divers and could not wander off to check out another reef. Spent about 15 minutes in the water on your own scooter. Then had to surface and let the next group get in. It was OK, but I wouldn't do it again.

This sounds like so much fun. Please report back and be careful sweetheart.

15 minutes ago, SixtiesDude said:

Went on a similar tour in Cancun.  Went about 30 - 40 feet down but we were herded by the tour divers and could not wander off to check out another reef. Spent about 15 minutes in the water on your own scooter. Then had to surface and let the next group get in. It was OK, but I wouldn't do it again.

Thanks😉. That’s exactly the style of report I was looking for.  I’ll be in Honduras, but I think one company franchises the concept & all the equipment (from my web browsing).

I figured this was a one & done deal, but couldn’t pass the shot.   Much like the submarine ride off Aruba or St. Thomas (and others).

I remember a few years ago I passed on a $400 ride in a B-17 (my Dad’s plane).  Last week I saw a Leno’s Garage episode on the plane. I regret having missed that chance to connect with Dad (he’s been gone for 25+ years).

^^ This ^^ is just one aspect of TOB that makes this place so wonderful. I’ve also received several PMs on the subject. 

BTW, the scooter can be damn tricky to maneuver. It doesn't respond to turns very fast and everyone was over-correcting. Several near misses. Of course, I operated it perfectly :lol:

Stumbled across this Destination while browsing the google-net...

Bonaire - This southern Caribbean island is one of the most highly regarded scuba diving destinations in the world, surrounded by azure water clearer than glass and reefs that stretch out like submerged cities near the shoreline.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/life/travel/destinations/article/Beyond-scuba-diving-in-Bonaire-5522537.php

https://travel.padi.com/d/bonaire/

slider11.jpg

snorkel.jpg

22 minutes ago, Kaduk said:

Stumbled across this Destination while browsing the google-net...

Bonaire - This southern Caribbean island is one of the most highly regarded scuba diving destinations in the world, surrounded by azure water clearer than glass and reefs that stretch out like submerged cities near the shoreline.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/life/travel/destinations/article/Beyond-scuba-diving-in-Bonaire-5522537.php

https://travel.padi.com/d/bonaire/

slider11.jpg

snorkel.jpg

I second Bonaire. I'm an accomplished diver of over 1300dives and rebreather work in my wreck diving days... been to Bonaire 6-7 times in the last couple of decades...  and it's a snorkelers Paradise.!!   it's developed a lot in recent years...but slide shows at night at Captain Don's Habitat, and get up into the national park for some exceptional sea fan corals...snorkel at night for the large tarpon right off the beach feeding down the view of your light.., (bring lights)...and keep on the sheltered side of the island. We use to say that most of the nightlife on Bonaire after 9pm at night happened underwater... 

I have snorkeled a few times in Hawaii,  they have such clear water.  Followed a couple of sea turtles for a bit.  I do prefer to scuba though and will actually be doing my first live aboard in a few months down in the Bahamas.  There is so much to see.  When you go on the snorkeling adventure they should give you a few instructions first.  Hope you enjoy your trip.  

And also to mountainrider33.  You can download a padi app on your phone and get your card there and carry it electronically.

Goal of mine to spend lots of time diving and snorkeling in Hawaii soon! Sounds so fun 

4 hours ago, Leena_rose said:

Goal of mine to spend lots of time diving and snorkeling in Hawaii soon! Sounds so fun 

Maybe you could hook up with Jessica Alba for a buddy snorkel......

W2nJQGK.gif

1 hour ago, Kaduk said:

Maybe you could hook up with Jessica Alba for a buddy snorkel......

W2nJQGK.gif

Anytime! 😍😍so much to be discovered under the sea ;) 

I love love love snorkeling & diving! Treat researching your trips and dive shops a lot like you would researching a provider. I cannot stress enough to BRING YOUR OWN GEAR, even if all you bring is a mouth piece. I rented in Belize and came home to the worst strep infection of my life. 

Make sure you are comfortable swimming for long periods of time as the open ocean is a lot harder to swim in for long periods of time. I am a professional mermaid and SSI certified. Highly recommend getting certified at Denver Divers in Cherry Creek and taking full advantage of the Monday refresher courses. 

From a hippy I love the earth standpoint.... 

Please do not do a live aboard if it is not Sustainable. Please do NOT wear sunscreen, get a UV rash guard or a 3mm wetsuit. Stay HYDRATED and do NOT drink alcohol before diving or snorkeling. Do not touch the reef and keep an eye out for your crew! 

I hope you have so so much fun & I am so so jelly you get to go to the BEACHHHHHHH 

Have a Splash! 

On 12/31/2018 at 5:42 PM, Bit Banger said:

... tried a BOSS underwater adventure?

Planning as part of a cruise package. I snorkel, but don’t scuba.  Wondering how it will go?

I did the boss in Nassau during one of the days I was there this summer. You will move about 1 mile per hour, been there, done that. it's fun!!! 

have a good trip !