Everhard

Working on Christmas day?

18 posts in this topic

Which of us are the lucky folks to be working on Christmas day? I am, but not a full day.

Then again, I suppose the women that are working are lucky in that they get lucky on Christmas day?!??!

Back when I was still a wage slave, many of my non-Christian colleagues would take the duty, allowing those of us who celebrated the holiday to spend uninterrupted time w/friends & family.

Thank you (though they’re probably not on TOB).

Yes, many are required to work on this day. Thanks to all who keep us safe and give us medical care when we get hurt playing with kids toys.

4 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

Back when I was still a wage slave, many of my non-Christian colleagues would take the duty, allowing those of us who celebrated the holiday to spend uninterrupted time w/friends & family.

Back before I had a family, I used to sign up to work both Christmas and Easter because it was a union shop and we got double time-and-a-half (3x) pay! Just me and the Jewish guys. Always went out for Chinese food afterwards.

8 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

Though I doubt we were in the same profession, I was one of those non-Christian employees who worked every Christmas, so you're welcome. I also felt since I was single that those with S.O's and kids deserved to have that day off. Have a wonderful Christmas everyone!!! (though its not a white one :()

7 hours ago, fishndude57 said:

OGCfwTV.jpg

Yeah but they were also up all night Thanksgiving getting ready for Black Friday.

I was always self employed or the boss. I worked when I wanted, and frequently when I didn't. 

Single mom, three kids, multiple jobs. I worked all the holidays through all of my 30s. It's really nice getting to spend time with my family now. Except now I have a daughter who works most holidays, so i know what it feels like on the flip side. It can be a bummer. 

I worked both jobs today, I'm one tired lady. Merry Christmas everyone! Goodnight 😘

58 minutes ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

Single mom, three kids, multiple jobs. I worked all the holidays through all of my 30s. It's really nice getting to spend time with my family now. Except now I have a daughter who works most holidays, so i know what it feels like on the flip side. It can be a bummer. 

Your kids were lucky to have a mom that put there needs ahead of her own. ;)

58 minutes ago, tide32 said:

Your kids were lucky to have a mom that put there needs ahead of her own. ;)

Isn’t that what being a parent is all about?  I realize that view may be considered old fashioned these days, and that in some parts of society kids are considered ‘meal tickets’,  but I consider it an essential moral imperative.

Still - good for you, Hunter.

11 hours ago, Chocdrop said:

I worked both jobs today, I'm one tired lady. Merry Christmas everyone! Goodnight 😘

Bless your heart. I hope you're getting some R&R in today. 💙

9 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

Isn’t that what being a parent is all about?  I realize that view may be considered old fashioned these days, and that in some parts of society kids are considered ‘meal tickets’,  but I consider it an essential moral imperative.

Still - good for you, Hunter.

I've never personally met anyone whose looked at their kids as meal tickets in any parts of society I've come across, and I've moved around some parts. Not saying there aren't people who do that, but it's I think it's uncommon and more stereotypical. Maybe you have more personal experience than I do with that. 

I have encountered a few in inner city Chicago, and in surfing the divorced women pool, some even amongst my former in-laws.  But I would agree that YL who work their butts off for family far outnumber them.

Most of my life was spent working one holiday or another, and frequently that was Christmas. Or Thanksgiving, New Years, July 4th, Memorial Day or whatever. I was on a fixed schedule, so whether I worked on a holiday or not was simply a matter of how the schedule and the holidays lined up. Some years I would work several of the holidays, and some years were better than others. I chose that path in my life and have no regrets, but I'm certainly glad that working holidays is no longer a concern for me.

Edited by Just Another Guy

I have worked in the hotel industry most of my life, not pun intended and that means you work all major holidays as hotels are open 24/7/365, so there is no time off for holidays....It is one of the few industries that does that and also requires not only general employees but also requirements management or at least someone to fill in as such be available or on call anytime....Its a very demanding field and I have worked every holiday since I started working in that industry just out of college....

Today I did as little as possible ❤ Thank you so much, hope your holiday was awesome!! Back to work in the morning lol not sure why I'm awake now 😂