SexiKenni

Meteor Shower

18 posts in this topic

There will be a meteor shower tonight, that will be best seen after 12 midnight. Who is interested in driving out to where there isn't so much light pollution and watch it?  I think it will be beautiful

Sounds fun and beautiful. If you make it, enjoy

If no one wants to go with me, could u guys suggest the best place for me to go view it? A place with low light pollution, maybe a place I could get a cheap room? It's going to be going well after midnight and I would be Ubering from i25 and Arapahoe. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, SexiKenni said:

What about Erie?

still close to the I25 corridor so some light pollution. since you are in the dtc you ought to consider heading south or south west. things get somewhat sparse south of castle rock and west from there gets really sparse. at least it was the last time i took the bike down that way.

All these options would be really expensive for Uber.  Come on single guys,  (or gals, for that matter) WTF are you waiting for?  Volunteer to go out and have a fun night with an intelligent and funny lady.  I would definitely volunteer, but I would have a hard time explaining it to my wife.  What better you got to do on the Solstice?  From DTC I think I would head out Parker road toward Elbert.  I don't think that there are any hotels in the area, but the night sky from the Elbert area is very black and I have seen the Milky Way on many a night out there.  Take a sleeping bag and lawn chair, lay out, and watch the show, head home at sunrise or whenever.

I used to live deep up in the mountains and every Solstice (summer and winter), I would throw a party and me and the city dweller friends would stay up all night star gazing (unless it was just too damed cold, which surprisingly rarely was the case).

Come on kids, grab Kenni and have a Solstice Party, I will be there in spirit.

Edited by BadBoy

Down by Sedalia on HY 85 gets pretty dark. I took a telescope the last time Halley’s Comet came by. Titan Road May be good too. These places are maybe 15 minutes south of C-470.

It was a great viewing area. 

Thank you guys for all the suggestions! And thank u Bad Boy  for the urging lol

Does anyone know anything about Gateway Mesa Open space? In Castle Rock?

A solstice party sounds magnificent. No way 2019 could deny anyone in attendance lol

so, did some digging around, since i like astronomy too, this is a decent article about places to go watch near denver. https://denverite.com/2018/08/08/denver-perseids-2018-where-to-watch-a-nearly-perfect-meteor-shower-in-colorado/

there is a link in there to a website a guy put together that overlays light pollution with google maps, you mat get a message saying it isn't loading google maps right, just be patient, it will load.

and according to https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/meteor-shower/ursids.html tomorrow night is when the Ursids is supposed to peak. looks like a trip to leadville could net some good viewing and might be able to score a room there though it's hard to say with the holiday weekend. hmm, i've never been to leadville.

1 hour ago, BadBoy said:

All these options would be really expensive for Uber.  Come on single guys,  (or gals, for that matter) WTF are you waiting for?  Volunteer to go out and have a fun night with an intelligent and funny lady.  I would definitely volunteer, but I would have a hard time explaining it to my wife.  What better you got to do on the Solstice?  From DTC I think I would head out Parker road toward Elbert.  I don't think that there are any hotels in the area, but the night sky from the Elbert area is very black and I have seen the Milky Way on many a night out there.  Take a sleeping bag and lawn chair, lay out, and watch the show, head home at sunrise or whenever.

I used to live deep up in the mountains and every Solstice (summer and winter), I would throw a party and me and the city dweller friends would stay up all night star gazing (unless it was just too damed cold, which surprisingly rarely was the case).

Come on kids, grab Kenni and have a Solstice Party, I will be there in spirit.

well, the thought has crossed my mind to throw a thick hunk of foam and some blankets in the truck, pick up the lovely lady and drive out to dark spot for some sky watching. trouble is she has not met me yet.

Well, he's got a pick em up truck.  That ought to count for something!

:rolleyes:

Headed up to Park City to celebrate the winter solstice and enjoy the meteors

Just now, airamericavet65 said:

Headed up to Park City to celebrate the winter solstice and enjoy the meteors

I wish I could go! Have fun for me lol

Damn!  If I wasn't coughing up a lung right now,  I would be knocking on your door in a few minutes.!