fishndude57

Anyone ever have...

19 posts in this topic

Dim Sum? I'm lunching with one of our friends tomorrow. Gave her the choice Pho or Chinese, she's opting Chinese. If so favorite place and bowls please. Chicken feet will be a must. I've been looking at how to order and eat Dim Sum like a pro. Surprising how many vids there are on the subject. I've got a place picked out in Little Saigon. If you know Denver you know where I'm talking about. I grew upon that hood. Never had Dim Sum, should be interesting and looks delicious. 

1 minute ago, fishndude57 said:

Dim Sum? I'm lunching with one of our friends tomorrow. Gave her the choice Pho or Chinese, she's opting Chinese. If so favorite place and bowls please. Chicken feet will be a must. I've been looking at how to order and eat Dim Sum like a pro. Surprising how many vids there are on the subject. I've got a place picked out in Little Saigon. If you know Denver you know where I'm talking about. I grew upon that hood. Never had Dim Sum, should be interesting and looks delicious. 

I've been a fan of Chinese for many years, although in the Denver Metro area finding a good source can be difficult. For traditional Chinese, Imperial Palace on S. Broadway (a few blocks north of the I-25 overpass), is the best I've found in Denver.

Short of the occasional pork buns you might find in the Thai/Viet/Chinese eatery, and the ubiquitous pot stickers (fried dumplings) everywhere, you'd be hard pressed to find an authentic Dim Sum joint locally.

I'll watch this space with interest, too.

Years ago I had Dim Sum in both Beijing and Shanghai that's a bit far to travel just for lunch but both times the meals were delicious. I have heard that the Imperial Palace has excellent food best of luck and have fun

Star Kitchen on Mississippi and Federal and Super Star Kitchen next to Pacific Ocean Market off of WAlameda. I think Star Kitchen is the edgier of the two but both are excellent. Get there either well before they open for Dim Sum or later in service. Otherwise your wait can be extensive. Dim sum for two is kind of a drag. 6-10 gives you the opportunity to try more than a couple plates.

Imperial Palace has sucked for years. 

Edited by Happymon

https://saigonbowldenver.com/

this square with the above restaurant is really good. I was there last Wednesday with a close friend of mine. If you drive east on Alameda  from Lakewood turn south on Fedral go about a block south. You can’t miss the Asain arches into the Asain shopping square. I love all the little shops and there is a bakery as well as a gift shop and three different Asain restaurants that I have always had very great meals. I know They all sell “bits”

On 12/14/2018 at 6:09 PM, Happymon said:

Star Kitchen on Mississippi and Federal and Super Star Kitchen next to Pacific Ocean Market off of WAlameda. I think Star Kitchen is the edgier of the two but both are excellent. Get there either well before they open for Dim Sum or later in service. Otherwise your wait can be extensive. Dim sum for two is kind of a drag. 6-10 gives you the opportunity to try more than a couple plates.

Imperial Palace has sucked for years. 

These look authentic. Preparation in Dim Sum restaurants can be quite elaborate collections of meat, pastry, and veg, served with a variety of delicious sauces. Since everything is "small bits", one is tempted to order "one of those, and one of those, and two of those" -- you get the idea. I've spent over $50 on lunch for two, buying only "one or two" of those... and there's always room for one more.

I look forward to traveling south to try some Dim Sum at the Star. Thanks for the suggestions.

Eeeeek. No chicken feet!!! Lol. Excited for everything else...but not feeling the feet lmao 😂

On 12/14/2018 at 2:43 PM, fishndude57 said:

Fishy, I’ve missed seeing your posts ❤️

I'd second Happymon's recommendation of Star Kitchen or Superstar. And definitely get there early or late. Both are wonderfully insanely busy.

Chicken feet aren't nearly as gross as they sound, but are more trouble than they are worth, imo. But, definitely be bold and try new things. That's half the fun with dim sum.

I thought imperial palace on Broadway closed not too long ago.... Or was that another place (also Asian cuisine)... 2 story building by Sam's club/ Wendy's? Ate there once years ago (maybe 6 yrs or so), was pretty good when I tried it

Star Kitchen on Federal and Mississippi. It's a small restaurant and the real Chinese thing. Nobody speaks English and almost nothing written in English. They bring you a cart with all the Dim Sum options and you just point at what you want because it's impossible to ask what is it about. But everything is excellent. Now... it's not a fancy place but the food is really good.

On 12/23/2018 at 8:52 AM, Bora Bora said:

Star Kitchen on Federal and Mississippi. It's a small restaurant and the real Chinese thing. Nobody speaks English and almost nothing written in English. They bring you a cart with all the Dim Sum options and you just point at what you want because it's impossible to ask what is it about. But everything is excellent. Now... it's not a fancy place but the food is really good.

Those are always the best places to find genuine ethnic cuisine. Many years ago in San Francisco's Chinatown, I tried to convince my friend that we should go to the restaurant where all the Chinese residents were going. You know, the place where all the dead chickens are hanging, Lol. He wasn't impressed and we ended up going to a tepid Americanized Chinese place that served food equal to Chung King fare.

In response to the Op.The Red Coral on South Colorado used to serve great Dim Sum. I don't know if they still exist.

The Empress on Alameda just east of Federal does good dim sum. I think it is only on Sunday though. 

Chinese food!  Love it.:P   What a great idea, taking a special friend to lunch. I have never done it.    Working on the south side of central Denver, I have had alot of Asain meals, but have to agree that The Imperial off S. Broadway is classy, Super Star off Federal is very authentic, The Empress on Alameda is also good. PHO off 6th is really good.  When you see other Chinese people eating there you know its a good place. I like to people watch so when I say, other Chinees people,  I mean other than the family of the owners/  lol..