Mike940370

If you have nothing nice to say

48 posts in this topic

I am a member of so many internet forums, golf,tennis, bowling, RVing, motocross ,adventure riding, cross country/enduro racing ; but this is the most clickish , unfriendly and even hateful forum of all by far. And that seems odd since this forum may lead to something more intimate , unlike the other forums.

I found this, not my words, but immediately I thought of this place.  In light of the Holiday spirit, I'd like to share it with my friends a TOB.

If You Have Nothing Nice To Say, Don't Say Anything At All

Why is it that people feel like it is okay to make someone feel bad? Growing up I am sure you were told by someone you looked up to to be nice to someone no matter what. You also may have been told, "Do onto others, as they do on to you." Another thing you have been told is, "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all."When I got out of high school, I expected that people would have matured a little more and would understand these things that we learned at such a young age. I mean I remember being told about them in preschool. However, just because I knew it didn't mean everyone else did which did hurt sometimes.

When I say I expected people to be mature and understand these sayings a little more after high school, I mean people still didn't understand them then which is something I cringe at thinking about.

"Treat others the way you want to be treated," was something my parents constantly reminded me. Now the older I get, I feel like fewer people care about this, and going back to the, "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all."

I am not making any assumptions about a group of people or pointing anyone out, but it just seems like the generation I am in and younger doesn't care about these things that are a big part of life.

You will see reckless tweets that are targeted at someone and people favorite or retweet it going along with what that person said. This happens in college? Yes, unfortunately, it does. Now that that tweet is out, the person it was directed towards probably feels like crap and they have probably screenshot it. So, if at some point you try to get rid of something hurtful said on social media, like Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, etc. you're not going to be able to.

If you had nothing nice to say, then why did you say it? Why did you bother to take time out of your day just to hurt someone else? You could have just said nothing at all, rather than going out of your way to be mean. 

Yes, some people are also more sensitive than others. So please be mindful of what you're saying and who you are saying it to. It takes more energy to be mean rather than being nice.

On that note, why can't we just all save some energy and just be nice, for we have no idea what others are going through and it is the right thing to do. Seriously, people, it is time to remember what those we looked up to when we were little first told us. Just if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone

1 hour ago, Mike940370 said:

I am a member of so many internet forums, golf,tennis, bowling, RVing, motocross ,adventure riding, cross country/enduro racing ; but this is the most clickish , unfriendly and even hateful forum of all by far. And that seems odd since this forum may lead to something more intimate , unlike the other forums.

I found this, not my words, but immediately I thought of this place.  In light of the Holiday spirit, I'd like to share it with my friends a TOB.

Obviously you don't belong to any of the fishing forums. :D

14 minutes ago, Desperado said:

It’s like the time this one guy came out of nowhere just to label the rest of the forum “clickish, unfriendly, and even hateful”. 

It’s astonishing to me some of the attacks I’ve read in social media. I do have to disagree about this one though. As we seem to avoid the political climate here (thankfully), I see people interacting more often on very personal issues. There is certainly banter and machismo but all in all, I’m learning from you all. Much of it is good. I’m not picking up the clickish, unfriendly or hateful part. Perhaps that’s yet to come. 

2 hours ago, boink36 said:

Obviously you don't belong to any of the fishing forums. :D

Or any other forum where people COMMUNICATE honestly and openly. B)

I have advertised on multiple review boards and this by far is my favorite, and that's mostly because of the forum interaction. I have seen threads with titles and subject matters that have literally made me gag, but not on this board. I have seen post that made me wonder about the safety of me seeing guys who would entertain such hateful and disgusting posts, but not on this board. 

I have seen the trolling and bs that has unfortunately come to be expected, but it's Trolling and Bs Lite compared to what I have seen other places. Not only is it Lite, but it is quickly challenged and shut down, which is something I have never seen on the other review boards. 

I most certainly owe the fact that Denver has become like home so quickly to TOB, due to the awesome and welcoming vibe right here, in this forum, before I could even post an ad. Hell, before I even made it to Colorado. 

Lol, I'm signing a year lease tomorrow and plan on soaking up the good vibes and transmuting the negative vibes, right here, in this forum, for at least another 12 months. 

I've seen nothing that warrants anything more than a little counter-trolling, but definitely not a whole Peace not War post. I sincerely hope your experience improves

12 hours ago, Mike940370 said:

Why is it that people feel like it is okay to make someone feel bad? Growing up I am sure you were told by someone you looked up to to be nice to someone no matter what. You also may have been told, "Do onto others, as they do on to you." Another thing you have been told is, "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all."When I got out of high school, I expected that people would have matured a little more and would understand these things that we learned at such a young age. I mean I remember being told about them in preschool. However, just because I knew it didn't mean everyone else did which did hurt sometimes.

When I say I expected people to be mature and understand these sayings a little more after high school, I mean people still didn't understand them then which is something I cringe at thinking about.

"Treat others the way you want to be treated," was something my parents constantly reminded me. Now the older I get, I feel like fewer people care about this, and going back to the, "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all."

I am not making any assumptions about a group of people or pointing anyone out, but it just seems like the generation I am in and younger doesn't care about these things that are a big part of life.

You will see reckless tweets that are targeted at someone and people favorite or retweet it going along with what that person said. This happens in college? Yes, unfortunately, it does. Now that that tweet is out, the person it was directed towards probably feels like crap and they have probably screenshot it. So, if at some point you try to get rid of something hurtful said on social media, like Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, etc. you're not going to be able to.

If you had nothing nice to say, then why did you say it? Why did you bother to take time out of your day just to hurt someone else? You could have just said nothing at all, rather than going out of your way to be mean. 

Yes, some people are also more sensitive than others. So please be mindful of what you're saying and who you are saying it to. It takes more energy to be mean rather than being nice.

On that note, why can't we just all save some energy and just be nice, for we have no idea what others are going through and it is the right thing to do. Seriously, people, it is time to remember what those we looked up to when we were little first told us. Just if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Somebody needs to say it so, kudos to you. The thing about it is, it's only a select few, the Usual Suspects, taking gratuitous jabs at topics they either don't like or know nothing about. We all know who they are.

Edited by Hobby Hobbit

Though I am far from perfect, I do try to practice kindness in my thoughts, speech and actions.  Being nice to someone, even in the smallest of ways, can make a huge difference in most of life's interactions.  And, for me, being nice gives me positive feelings.  Words can be so powerful.  They can cut someone to the bone...or they can help build someone up.  Life has enough challenges without being mean for what may be trivial reasons.  Being thoughtful and mindful before opening my mouth (or writing a post) is something I continue to work on.

This holiday season is connected to "Peace on Earth" and adding to that "Peace" includes how I speak and act with the people I meet (either in the real or cyber world).

I hope everyone offers and receives positive, encouraging and supportive speech and actions from the folks they encounter in all walks of life.

7 minutes ago, average1 said:

Though I am far from perfect, I do try to practice kindness in my thoughts, speech and actions.  Being nice to someone, even in the smallest of ways, can make a huge difference in most of life's interactions.  And, for me, being nice gives me positive feelings.  Words can be so powerful.  They can cut someone to the bone...or they can help build someone up.  Life has enough challenges without being mean for what may be trivial reasons.  Being thoughtful and mindful before opening my mouth (or writing a post) is something I continue to work on.

This holiday season is connected to "Peace on Earth" and adding to that "Peace" includes how I speak and act with the people I meet (either in the real or cyber world).

I hope everyone offers and receives positive, encouraging and supportive speech and actions from the folks they encounter in all walks of life.

Very well said sir, I could not agree more.

14 hours ago, Mike940370 said:

Well said and nice post! Life is too short to waste on mean words. 

12 hours ago, Desperado said:

“If you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything at all.”  Damn straight Mike!   I’m with you all the way!  It’s like the time this one guy came out of nowhere just to label the rest of the forum “clickish, unfriendly, and even hateful”.  Then he wanted to give everyone else advice on how to behave!  Enlightened people like you and me both probably wish that guy had taken his own advice and just not said anything at all.  Sadly, he probably doesn’t even remotely see the irony and will just think the world is out to get him (once again).

Damn Desparado, you said exactly what I wanted to say but I couldn’t come up with a nice way to say it.

The irony of it all, someone saying members (or maybe he meant only some members) in this board are the most clickish, unfriendly and hateful people he has ever interacted with and then posting at the same time a statement about if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.

Very contradictory.

I will admit that at times I may not seem like the nicest person around and that I’m critical of others with some of my posts, but I’m only responding and saying how I see it.

But in the end, we need to all get along as this community is a very intimate community and we need to get along.

13 hours ago, Desperado said:

“If you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything at all.”  Damn straight Mike!   I’m with you all the way!  It’s like the time this one guy came out of nowhere just to label the rest of the forum “clickish, unfriendly, and even hateful”.  Then he wanted to give everyone else advice on how to behave!  Enlightened people like you and me both probably wish that guy had taken his own advice and just not said anything at all.  Sadly, he probably doesn’t even remotely see the irony and will just think the world is out to get him (once again).

Crap! You made me swallow my gum.:eek:

15 hours ago, Mike940370 said:

Oh, sweet baby Jesus and bless your heart. 

5 hours ago, Hobby Hobbit said:

Somebody needs to say it so, kudos to you. The thing about it is, it's only a select few, the Usual Suspects, taking gratuitous jabs at topics they either don't like or know nothing about. We all know who they are.

Yep, Mikey, Mr. Pink, the Hobbit.......

It's not so much about the "having nothing nice to say"... It's more that people on here aren't afraid to call someone out on bs and they just speak what's on their mind. as it should be.... Why stay quiet or sugar coat shit? If more people kept things straight and true to themselves, that would be more ideal to me then making things seem better and agreeing with something flat out wrong or stupid when you know it is.

1 hour ago, BadBoy said:

Throw a stone at a pack of dogs, you'll know the one you hit.

Chalk it up to head games and boredom.  For me, I have never figured out why people act that way to essentially what is nothing more then an avatar!  OMG!  rof

3 hours ago, BadBoy said:

I thought it was desparate,babyboy & redtide 

11 minutes ago, Mike940370 said:

Wait, what? Didn't you start this thread? 🤦‍♀️

21 hours ago, Mike940370 said:

18 minutes ago, Mike940370 said:

I did hunter, in case you couldnt figure  out who started it

Dont start something you can't finish.B)

18 minutes ago, tide32 said:

Dont start something you can't finish.B)

You gotta love it when someone share's a post like this...has nothing nice say, AND can't say nothing at all. 🙄

34 minutes ago, Mike940370 said:

What is it Red?

Try this. In a war of wits against Hunter, your outgunned.

I will say this...without Mike, 2Big, Hobbit, and Mr Pink, we'd have far less posts....;)

15 hours ago, Mike940370 said:

Hi Mike,  this is name calling and is intended to make someone else feel bad.  On this forum we don’t want to seem clickish, unfriendly, or hurtful so we follow the advice of a member we call Wise Mike and if we don’t have anything nice to say we don’t say anything at all.  Wise Mike is a member of many forums (golf, tennis, bowling, RVing, adventure riding, motocross, cross country/enduro riding, etc.) and as such he knows a lot about etiquette and how to make any forum a brighter place.  He has even posted an article that you should read called “If You Have Nothing Nice To Say Don’t Say Anything At All”.  That will help you understand how to post without hurting someone else’s feelings.  If you have any questions please reach out to me or Wise Mike and we can help!  Happy Holidays!

Merry ChirstmaHANUKWANZA!!! 

Dear santa, please bring @Mike940370 a blow up doll, so he can play with her while he sits in his basement trolling his forum collection!

The first post was way too long and I didn’t read it.

I just wanted to pop in and say that Megan is hilarious. I wish she had a stand-up comedy special on Netflix. 

Edited by jasminewaterss7

For the rest of today, let’s not say anything negative about anyone and only say positive things.  We will all feel better by the end of the day if we can do that.