Bit Banger

New spam/scam phone calls

27 posts in this topic

Lately I’ve been getting spam/scam phone calls which mimic coming from my own phone or voice mail service. They tend to come in pairs.  The message is something to do with my Microsoft account.

What’s up with that?

Just another spam spoofing tactic. I don't answer the phone, ever, if they don't show as a contact in my phone. If its important they will leave a message.

The Microsoft scam typical starts with them gaining access to your computer then they hold it hostage for lots of moola

The other day I got one and my caller id said spoof call?  

I answered and it was about a credit card. I asked to be removed from the list and was told no. When I got angry it became bizarre by him saying he wanted to make out with me and asked if I was masturbating.  

I blocked the number but can someone please explain what spoofing a number means. 

I've just been approved for my 50th student loan that I did not apply for. And I think I am on a hundred car warranty lists. Oh ya, the FBI and IRS are looking for me too. :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Audrey Astor said:

I've just been approved for my 50th student loan that I did not apply for. And I think I am on a hundred car warranty lists. Oh ya, the FBI and IRS are looking for me too. :rolleyes:

FBI😳 you so naughty.

30 minutes ago, Laci French said:

I answered and it was about a credit card. I asked to be removed from the list and was told no. When I got angry it became bizarre by him saying he wanted to make out with me and asked if I was masturbating.  

I blocked the number but can someone please explain what spoofing a number means. 

Spoofing a number is when the caller uses an app or service to fake the caller Id phone number. They can make it any number they want, including the number they are calling. Typically they will try to make it look like a local number for you, but they are likely in Russia or india.

28 minutes ago, Audrey Astor said:

IRS has been calling me to, funny thing is they are all from india 🤣

When the roofers say they are in my neighborhood and want to give my house a free inspection, I give them the address for my business in Texas.  They can’t hang up quick  enough.

1 hour ago, Audrey Astor said:

I think we are all wanted by the IRS and FBI 😂😂

1 hour ago, Laci French said:

Have noticed that the landline service providers have been getting better at providing caller id information that's been run through some sort of spam tracking service. Eg. ATT uses the company Hiya for a list of suspect phone numbers. Read somewhere that they are also working on some systems to setup such that spoofed numbers will be harder to pull off by scammer (basic gist, cannot make a call coming from FL look like a CO number).

So in Laci's case, appears her landline company is using some sort of database, be it Hiya/NomoRobo/800numbers.com/etc, that is tracking scam numbers.

EDIT: assuming landline here, as caller id on cellphones are carrier specific upgrade options, and also dependent on the phone you have (in this day and age, pretty much all Android and iPhone can support the caller id name function).

so i downloaded a recording of the phone companys "this number has been disconnected or is no longer in service" message that has that tone at the beginning. most robo caller machines are programed to remove any number they call that gives that tone from their call list. that message is the message on my answering machine, i told all my friends that if they called and got that to just wait for the beep. the number of spam/spoofed calls i've gotten lately has dropped a lot.

6 minutes ago, IRsparky said:

so i downloaded a recording of the phone companys "this number has been disconnected or is no longer in service" message that has that tone at the beginning. most robo caller machines are programed to remove any number they call that gives that tone from their call list. that message is the message on my answering machine, i told all my friends that if they called and got that to just wait for the beep. the number of spam/spoofed calls i've gotten lately has dropped a lot.

That's brilliant. 

3 hours ago, ilovewomen said:

When the roofers say they are in my neighborhood and want to give my house a free inspection, I give them the address for my business in Texas.  They can’t hang up quick  enough.

Didn't you check there reviews.:cool:

3 hours ago, IRsparky said:

That is such a good idea. It could kill my business though.

Let's not forget an old favorite.....The Canadian Online Pharmacy......an Indian ...calling from Georgia.

Google Search shows your business is not listed?  Running from 1 room to another snaking through glassware only to see “Spam likely” calling. 😟

So this just happened...Audrey got a phone call from my phone number and when she answered it was a FBI recording 😕

I guess I’m a double agent😂

Is there more tracing that can be done on the phone number and is there a way to keep my number from getting used?  

Could be a complete coincidence, but there are ways for spammers to spoof numbers that exist in your contact list. Similar to how you can get spam email and it looks like it comes from someone you know. Not exactly sure how it is done and would think they would need some malware or virus on the receivers phone to capture a contact number to use as the spoof. I know other people who have had similar experiences

It's all fucked up

These guys apps that randomly assign numbers as numbers are being randomly dialed.

Very hard to stop, even through legal means. The Indians and Russians don’t care about our laws

Edited by ilovewomen

No, this is not a coincidence of Russians or Indians.🤣 There are folks amongst us that spoof ladies numbers as well as hobbyist numbers, and do devious things (such as prank call, text to find out location, text to find out screening practices, make fake appointments, harass, and turn peers against each other). It’s sad, but it’s been going on for years. Who has that much time on their hands???😳 I don’t even know how to do this. Apparently these people are closer that we thought, and reading this thread. Haha

On 12/8/2018 at 10:30 AM, Laci French said:

FBI😳 you so naughty.

We're all just a bunch of Panchos and Lefties 😎

10 minutes ago, Audrey Astor said:

No, this is not a coincidence of Russians or Indians.🤣 There are folks amongst us that spoof ladies numbers as well as hobbyist numbers, and do devious things (such as prank call, text to find out location, text to find out screening practices, make fake appointments, harass, and turn peers against each other). It’s sad, but it’s been going on for years. Who has that much time on their hands???😳 I don’t even know how to do this. Apparently these people are closer that we thought, and reading this thread. Haha

I had an idiot email me from my own email address before 🤣

Glad I have more fun in life than to spend my days and nights getting my kicks out of stupid childish games. Too much real fun to be had. 😁

5 hours ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

Glad I have more fun in life than to spend my days and nights getting my kicks out of stupid childish games. Too much real fun to be had. 😁

For certain! I'd certain rather be learning, earning, or yearning (for a local provider). 

Seems like a ridiculous waste of time! :confused:

7 hours ago, Audrey Astor said:

Man, some people are stupid and crazy. What's wrong with people.? Sorry you have to deal with this crap. 

On 12/8/2018 at 10:30 AM, Laci French said:

FBI😳 you so naughty.

FBI....."Female Body Inspector".....I want to sign up for the training.  ;)

Here is a new twist on an old scam that has been calling me recently....it is clever because it is said "you cannot con an honest person" and this one depends on you being dishonest ( and stupid). They say it is Microsoft tech support calling  ( nothing new there) BUT it is the "refund department". They want to refund your tech support payment. Of course, you did not MAKE  any such payment. Nevertheless, according to their records, you are owed a refund and you will be given one. Just give them the Credit Card number to which they will refund it and.........hahahahahahahaha.

4 hours ago, Admiral C said:

Here is a new twist on an old scam that has been calling me recently....it is clever because it is said "you cannot con an honest person" and this one depends on you being dishonest ( and stupid). They say it is Microsoft tech support calling  ( nothing new there) BUT it is the "refund department". They want to refund your tech support payment. Of course, you did not MAKE  any such payment. Nevertheless, according to their records, you are owed a refund and you will be given one. Just give them the Credit Card number to which they will refund it and.........hahahahahahahaha.

I haven’t heard this one yet.

I got the Windows department calling me telling me versions of Windows was corrupted. 😂😂😂