Sundance

The Homeless at Christmas

30 posts in this topic

First, understand that I am a veteran with rated disability. Second, I worked for over 40 years after coming home from Vietnam with multiple wounds. Third, my primary income is social security, plus a small pension. I am not heartless when it comes to the issues of poverty and homelessness. But I have seen too many abuses committed in the name of charity.

I prefer to give directly rather than giving to a charitable or religious organization. Too many of these groups are money machines with less than half of donations actually going to those in need. More than a few deliver less than 10%. Many mainstream churches spend less than 2% outside their own doors. Most of the rest are just plain con games.

When I give a mother a gift card for a grocery chain I have a pretty good idea that 100% will go for her family's needs. When I purchase a dozen childrens' winter coats and leave them with the staff of a homeless shelter I know what will happen. Many communities have battered womens shelters providing legal assistance and helping women and children get started over (rent assistance, household goods, clothing, groceries, medical & dental, etc). It isn't difficult to find worthy efforts to support.

When you give cash to someone on the street all you are doing is supporting the local drug dealers and liquor stores.

7 minutes ago, easytimes81006 said:

First, understand that I am a veteran with rated disability. Second, I worked for over 40 years after coming home from Vietnam with multiple wounds. Third, my primary income is social security, plus a small pension. I am not heartless when it comes to the issues of poverty and homelessness. But I have seen too many abuses committed in the name of charity.

I prefer to give directly rather than giving to a charitable or religious organization. Too many of these groups are money machines with less than half of donations actually going to those in need. More than a few deliver less than 10%. Many mainstream churches spend less than 2% outside their own doors. Most of the rest are just plain con games.

When I give a mother a gift card for a grocery chain I have a pretty good idea that 100% will go for her family's needs. When I purchase a dozen childrens' winter coats and leave them with the staff of a homeless shelter I know what will happen. Many communities have battered womens shelters providing legal assistance and helping women and children get started over (rent assistance, household goods, clothing, groceries, medical & dental, etc). It isn't difficult to find worthy efforts to support.

When you give cash to someone on the street all you are doing is supporting the local drug dealers and liquor stores.

I'm just asking for folks to give back something...How they do it is irrelevant..as long as we help in some small way

Years ago I offered a couple people jobs and they didn’t want to, sad to see them on the streets but some like it there.

Dance, thank you for what you are doing.  ET, thanks for sharing your experiences (and service).  I too feel we are a blessed country and tight knit community here at TOB, and a little extra disposable income this time a year is nice.

Children's Hospital speaks to me since I had a son that was there years ago, over Christmas, and have and will continue to donate to them often over the course of the year. 

I never want to tell someone where they should donate, but PLEASE donate to where it speaks to you. Dance, I know many shelters need socks and kids coats, do you know of any other clothing items?

Helping others is what I believe the Christmas season is supposed to be about. If you can afford it certainly contribute monetarily if you have time helping with your labor is wonderful. But even if those aren't possible a simple kind word good morning how are you today kind of thing can lift someone's spirits and make them feel cared about. The smile really goes a long way towards making others smile also.

Absolutely, a time to give. I recommend giving to the Action Center in Lakewood. 

I have been saving toiletries from hotels. I'm just not sure where to deliver them. I hope all of us ladies who travel do this. :-)

48 minutes ago, Audrey Astor said:

I have been saving toiletries from hotels. I'm just not sure where to deliver them. I hope all of us ladies who travel do this. :-)

Action Center is a great charity to give items too. 14th and Colfax. I believe that during weekdays there’s usually someone there for pickup of items. I am also  involves in a few things. Call your local social services to see which local organizations speaks to you as far as wishing to make a contribution to give back in your own community . There are so many in need. Thank you Sundance!💚

Edited by Kali Sensual Reiki

6 hours ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

Action Center is a great charity to give items too. 14th and Colfax. I believe that during weekdays there’s usually someone there for pickup of items. I am also  involves in a few things. Call your local social services to see which local organizations speaks to you as far as wishing to make a contribution to give back in your own community . There are so many in need. Thank you Sundance!💚

Kali, if you are referring to the Harm Reduction Action Center, they do outstanding work and provide some needed services.

I think it is great to give this time of year as our hearts open to the season. That being said I would encourage everyone to simply make it a line item bill in your budget every month. Also give of your time that is what a lot of people need even if it just a moment of recognition as a person. So many people are lost or over looked and a smile and hello would make their day. Give what you can how you can to whom ever you want and do it because it is just the right thing to do ...

14 hours ago, average1 said:

Kali, if you are referring to the Harm Reduction Action Center, they do outstanding work and provide some needed services.

Yes, that is exactly who I am talking about, I usually help with this organisation too. https://www.denvergov.org/content/denvergov/en/office-of-special-events/special-events-calendar/2018/ThanksgivingHomelessNeedy.html

Average !,

As you must know, there are many great organisations that people can get involved with in Denver as well any other City. This year was a difficult for me because I had a close friend recently pass. of brain cancer. I have been helping the family out. My friend didn't have money for a proper burial"Spirit of Life" celebration. I just became too consumed with a need to help my mouse out (enough on me) Too much emotional pain...Leaving far too young! 

I  see the importance of being there for others in their time of great need. Talking and in deep prayer. So important to give back to community that you live in. 

Audrey . I have a very good friend who has a foundation where they supply hotel hair care, soaps, lotions and toothbrushes and toothpaste to homeless families in downtown Denver....I will get the information on it and share it with you tomorrow....

And I too feel we are blessed in this country and we should show that this time of year as there are many who are less fortunate than ourselves and we all have so much that giving seems like the right thing to do...Bless everyone here his time or year and all year long, you are all some of the very kindest and most caring people in this world and I am truly honored to be a part of this wonderful community

2 hours ago, Mr.Pink said:

Shouldn't It be year round, not just one day?

Are you, of all people, lecturing someone else on how to be charitable? Hahahahahahha!  

8 hours ago, pfunk said:

Are you, of all people, lecturing someone else on how to be charitable? Hahahahahahha!  

I'm a very thoughtful and altruistic person.

On 11/27/2018 at 6:02 AM, pfunk said:

Who's lecturing? Just asking a question.

On 11/25/2018 at 6:04 AM, BigBaldBlk said:

Dance, thank you for what you are doing.  ET, thanks for sharing your experiences (and service).  I too feel we are a blessed country and tight knit community here at TOB, and a little extra disposable income this time a year is nice.

Children's Hospital speaks to me since I had a son that was there years ago, over Christmas, and have and will continue to donate to them often over the course of the year. 

I never want to tell someone where they should donate, but PLEASE donate to where it speaks to you. Dance, I know many shelters need socks and kids coats, do you know of any other clothing items?

I know that anything warm is great  ....sweatshirts,sweatpants ,hats,gloves  anything!!   The action center is a great place !At one time they helped me out with food. I not ashamed to say it . Many of us have gone through hard times and i am glad to know that places like the action center exist  Thank you for asking, BigBaldBlk,so nice to hear from you sweets!

On 11/27/2018 at 3:32 AM, Mr.Pink said:

Shouldn't It be year round, not just one day?

I volunteer year round at the food bank twice a month.   How bout you?

4 hours ago, Sundance said:

I volunteer year round at the food bank twice a month.   How bout you?

Good for you.

Thank you Sundance for the post. I know that this time of year we can sometimes feel overwhelmed with all the requests and needs brought to our attention. I will  however, unashamedly, remind everyone of my passion about Urban Peak . An incredible group of people who work with homeless teen living on our streets. Urban Peak works tirelessly 24/7, 365 to do what can be done to make a difference in the life of a child living on the streets.

Sundance, Thanks for helping others. Me: adopt a family with Volunteers of America (2nd year). I've met single mom's from craigslist here.  My preference is to help them. We met and talk about their families needs. Then go shopping together for groceries during Thanksgiving and Christmas. One in particular was working 60 hours a week as caregiver at $8.50 sn hour. She had car problems that could fixed and no money for Christmas gifts. I just did it because, I saw embarrassment. I told her not to worry. 

I think sometimes as easytimes80016 mention about working and getting social security.  Sometimes the SSA isn't enough. Because life is unfair, and  sometimes regardless of what you do ( being part of the working poor).  Can suck! All a person can do is continue and sometimes things get better. As they did for me (no kids, or ex wife). 

So yeah.. I give when I can. Recently a desperate single mom on craigslist was looking for help. We talked and I told her I could help her get a job with my employer.  All she had to do was sent the resume to my work email.  Never heard back from her!

Having worked extensively with shelters and homeless individuals, I can tell you that the amount of people actually on hard core drugs is pretty low compared to those with mental disability. Plus the age demographic for drugs is 18-27. 

Heres what EVERY single homeless person I speak to says....”Treat us like we’re people, like we matter. Yeah we smell, we’re dirty, we’re homeless. But, we’re people too.” 

Move met some of the best people! Loving, caring, people who are at the lowest points in their life and yet somehow they still have a little bit of hope. 

Its EXTREAMLY difficult to get a job when you have no clothes, and not all shelters are accessible to shower! 

Not all homeless people are out of work. There’s plenty of families who are homeless and are working. They’re doing the best they can. They don’t want to be there. I helped a guy out by giving his wife a ride to work every day so that he could get to work every day so that they could get back on their feet.

My friends and I from school had a sock drive last year. We donated over 650 pairs of socks to the Salvation Army and Springs Rescue mission. 

Wanna help people, talk to them! Find out their story, because everyone has one. Next time you have left overs, give them to a homeless person. 

Dog Food!!!! Yeah there’s pets with these folks! Let me tell you, you hand a homeless person a small bag of food or a can of food and it’s the greatest thing! These people will take care of their dogs before their own. 

I bought a guy a sleeping bag because his was stolen. He broke down and cried and was so thankful. That’s what they need! Compassion! Cost me $15 at the arc and it was the best thing I bought in a long while. 

Im sorry that some of you have had bad experiences with the homeless....I’ve had only good ones. It’s a matter of perspective. Come with open arms and you’ll feel the warmth they have in their hearts! Who knows, maybe they’ll give you something in return. 

Thank you for sharing Melissa.We know of each other for such a long time and am thankful of the kindness that you have showed to everyone here .We are some of the last (Mohenkins ) is that how it spelled? We have been around for a long time and I wish I could have spent  time with you. You have a good heart girl and thanks again  for ALL the kindness you have...Especially to the DOGS!! Love ya Girl!!!  Dance

11 hours ago, Melissa Sterling said:

Having worked extensively with shelters and homeless individuals, I can tell you that the amount of people actually on hard core drugs is pretty low compared to those with mental disability. Plus the age demographic for drugs is 18-27. 

Heres what EVERY single homeless person I speak to says....”Treat us like we’re people, like we matter. Yeah we smell, we’re dirty, we’re homeless. But, we’re people too.” 

Move met some of the best people! Loving, caring, people who are at the lowest points in their life and yet somehow they still have a little bit of hope. 

Its EXTREAMLY difficult to get a job when you have no clothes, and not all shelters are accessible to shower! 

Not all homeless people are out of work. There’s plenty of families who are homeless and are working. They’re doing the best they can. They don’t want to be there. I helped a guy out by giving his wife a ride to work every day so that he could get to work every day so that they could get back on their feet.

My friends and I from school had a sock drive last year. We donated over 650 pairs of socks to the Salvation Army and Springs Rescue mission. 

Wanna help people, talk to them! Find out their story, because everyone has one. Next time you have left overs, give them to a homeless person. 

Dog Food!!!! Yeah there’s pets with these folks! Let me tell you, you hand a homeless person a small bag of food or a can of food and it’s the greatest thing! These people will take care of their dogs before their own. 

I bought a guy a sleeping bag because his was stolen. He broke down and cried and was so thankful. That’s what they need! Compassion! Cost me $15 at the arc and it was the best thing I bought in a long while. 

Im sorry that some of you have had bad experiences with the homeless....I’ve had only good ones. It’s a matter of perspective. Come with open arms and you’ll feel the warmth they have in their hearts! Who knows, maybe they’ll give you something in return. 

Melissa.....Thank you, thank you and thank you.  There are so many generalizations about the homeless population.  There is a large cross section of folks with a variety of challenges (and a variety of skills) who have some incredible stories.  Instead of asking in a pejorative way, "What's WRONG with you?", a better question is, "What happened to you?"   

On 11/25/2018 at 11:48 PM, Audrey Astor said:

You can take those to the Samaritan House. It's a shelter for single men and women, families, and they also have a special program for homeless veterans. They go through a ton of those hotel size toiletries items. You can make a quick drop off at the back door during the day. 

Bus tickets/passes are great to donate to the shelters for the homeless, to look for jobs, or get back and forth to work while they get back on their feet.