Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oldertruckguy-9225

the worlds greatest RocknRoll band

44 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Sundance said:

ok  here we go -Zeppelin nassau coliseum when they first came out stairway to heaven.Humple pie , live at the fillmore east   ,Dave mason , Airplane when it turned to starship  free at central park.Hot Tuna, ELO,Alice cooper STONES   OMG THE STONES!!  Eric, Prince  OMG PRINCE..what a excellent concert   Jeff beck,robin trower, bb king  ,tull, moody blues,pink floyd when the wall came down i was in europe.....the band  DEEP PURPLE!!   manfred Mann.... still own lots of these albums there in good to fair shape

I Worked next to"electriclady land" in greenwich village  Saw Hendrix there  .. Beatles . Monkees,  Poco Harem ,  Diana  Ross was good also! 

Now this  is when i was in my early 20's..The list goes on....    I think all of them were outstanding 

Locally ..Steve crenshaw and michael horn buckle  THey Rock BLUES!!

Sundance, you have great taste in music and live acts.  Brings back some fond memories, though I have not seen many on your list.  One of my best memories was seeing the first concert of "Dark Side of the Moon" in 1973.  Enjoyed Dave Mason at the "Taste of Colorado" a few years ago.  Alice Cooper was a blast to see in concert.  Got to see a dual bill of Eric Clapton and Santana.  Lower key, but a fantastic concert was Harry Chapin.  He made it feel personal and between songs would talk about the inspiration for them.  Much later, really enjoyed Brian Adams in a very small venue.

Thanks for this outstanding post.

Well best live shows I have had the pleasure of attending, no particular order:

Doors, Who, Alice Cooper, Rory Gallagher, Johnny Winter, Rolling Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Nazareth, Blue Oyster Cult, Aerosmith, Savoy Brown, Jethro Tull, Jefferson Airplane/Starship, Grateful Dead, Outlaws, Bob Seger, Samantha Fish  Sooo many others, but those stand out.

Biggest disappointment because I never got to see them while original band still together (alive): Led Zeppelin, Ten Years After, Pink Floyd

Biggest disappointment that I did see - Deep Purple.  They cancelled, I held onto the tickets for months, when they finally came Richie Blackmore was gone and the genius that was Tommy Bolin was in a full throttle spiral downward that lead to his death a couple months later.  He seemed not to know where he was and they were horrible.

5 hours ago, gr8owl said:

Well best live shows I have had the pleasure of attending, no particular order:

Doors, Who, Alice Cooper, Rory Gallagher, Johnny Winter, Rolling Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Nazareth, Blue Oyster Cult, Aerosmith, Savoy Brown, Jethro Tull, Jefferson Airplane/Starship, Grateful Dead, Outlaws, Bob Seger, Samantha Fish  Sooo many others, but those stand out.

Biggest disappointment because I never got to see them while original band still together (alive): Led Zeppelin, Ten Years After, Pink Floyd

Biggest disappointment that I did see - Deep Purple.  They cancelled, I held onto the tickets for months, when they finally came Richie Blackmore was gone and the genius that was Tommy Bolin was in a full throttle spiral downward that lead to his death a couple months later.  He seemed not to know where he was and they were horrible.

Some great groups.  Sorry to hear about your Deep Purple experience.  Tommy Bolin was an awesome guitar player.  Talent and money do not exempt people from addiction, alcoholism and other substance use issues.

My biggest disappointment in a live act was Chuck Berry at Fiddlers’ Green. He walked off stage mid-song, mid-set, never to return.

.i saw the Grateful Dead 155 times. 

You kind of see my commitment to something. Been married 30+ years too. 

Life is so very good. 

20 hours ago, gr8owl said:

I saw Tommy Bolin with his band at Ebbets Field in downtown Denver. He stumbled on stage, a roadie put a guitar on him, and he played like a demon for 90 minutes. Then stumbled off stage again (clearly high). I'm sorry he wasn't able to overcome his addiction; he was an excellent guitarist. :(

14 hours ago, pfunk said:

I saw Tommy Bolin with his band at Ebbets Field in downtown Denver. He stumbled on stage, a roadie put a guitar on him, and he played like a demon for 90 minutes. Then stumbled off stage again (clearly high). I'm sorry he wasn't able to overcome his addiction; he was an excellent guitarist. :(

Joe Walsh is another great guitarist who so far, has seemed have beaten the odds. Stevie Ray Vaughn and Jimmy Hendricks were greats who lost the fight but live forever.

8 hours ago, tide32 said:

Joe Walsh is another great guitarist who so far, has seemed have beaten the odds. Stevie Ray Vaughn and Jimmy Hendricks were greats who lost the fight but live forever.

But Stevie Ray Vaughn didn’t lose a fight with substances.  Like Buddy Holly, he lost his life in an aircraft accident.  I was sitting in Buddy Guy’s joint when they got the news. 😭

9 hours ago, tide32 said:

40 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

But Stevie Ray Vaughn didn’t lose a fight with substances.  Like Buddy Holly, he lost his life in an aircraft accident.  I was sitting in Buddy Guy’s joint when they got the news. 😭

Stevie Ray turned his life around regarding substances.  His aircraft accident was so sad.  I can only imagine the music that could have happened.  I always think Joe Walsh is underrated by some because of his "goofiness".  He is one heck of a guitarist....who turned his life around a number of years ago.  Glad he is still rockin' it.

I cast my vote for Jethro Tull...but all such opinions are subjective. That said, I also want to shout out to Foreigner. They never get mentioned in conversations about great bands. It is as if they are hidden in plain sight. Longevity, great body of work, always put on good shows. Perhaps it is the lack of very long songs. Nevertheless...the number of memorable hits is impressive.  So even though I do not rank them greatest...I must add them to the list for consideration.

14 hours ago, average1 said:

Stevie Ray turned his life around regarding substances.  His aircraft accident was so sad.  I can only imagine the music that could have happened.  I always think Joe Walsh is underrated by some because of his "goofiness".  He is one heck of a guitarist....who turned his life around a number of years ago.  Glad he is still rockin' it.

The thing I admire about Walsh is he picked his daughter over the drugs.

22 hours ago, Admiral C said:

I cast my vote for Jethro Tull...but all such opinions are subjective. That said, I also want to shout out to Foreigner. They never get mentioned in conversations about great bands. It is as if they are hidden in plain sight. Longevity, great body of work, always put on good shows. Perhaps it is the lack of very long songs. Nevertheless...the number of memorable hits is impressive.  So even though I do not rank them greatest...I must add them to the list for consideration.

They were and are an outstanding band.  Lou Gramm's vocals are some of the best around.  There are a few underrated voices in rock.  I include Lou Gram, Richard Page (of Mister Mister) and Paul Rogers are in my group of top rock vocalists.

On 11/20/2018 at 5:00 PM, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

So I am out running errands and KOA is on the radio. Low and behold, Lou from Littleton is guest hosting...."CUZ" Now, Lou is a huge Rolling Stones fan and the show is full of references to Stones music, favorite Stones song and other stuff. Just reminds me that, IMO, no band, NO band can match the Stones.  Game On!!

I saw them in 2007.  Won the tickets on kbco.. .  FRONT ROW CENTER STAGE. It changed my life forever.  I was 26!!!!!