Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oldertruckguy-9225

the worlds greatest RocknRoll band

44 posts in this topic

So I am out running errands and KOA is on the radio. Low and behold, Lou from Littleton is guest hosting...."CUZ" Now, Lou is a huge Rolling Stones fan and the show is full of references to Stones music, favorite Stones song and other stuff. Just reminds me that, IMO, no band, NO band can match the Stones.  Game On!!

Yep couldn’t agree more, this will be my first and can’t wait.  None better for their age.  

38 minutes ago, petey-9950 said:

Yep couldn’t agree more, this will be my first and can’t wait.  None better for their age.  

I am willing to bet, grasshopper, that you have no idea how much we seniors hate the "for their age" suffix on a sentence.  Just leave it off.

For example:  "He is a real stud, for his age" isn't much of a compliment, but look at: "He is a real stud."

Or:  "She is absolutely gorgeous, for her age" isn't anywhere as much of a compliment as "She is absolutely gorgeous."

As to the Rolling Stones, you could say "None better."

If you don't believe me, next time you are with a young lady, say, "Wow, you are great, for your age."  See how that works out for you.

Edited by BadBoy
I forgot to set off the independent clause with a second comma

10 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

I am willing to bet, grasshopper, that you have no idea how much we seniors hate the "for their age" suffix on a sentence.  Just leave it off.

For example:  "He is a real stud, for his age" isn't much of a compliment, but look at: "He is a real stud."

Or:  "She is absolutely gorgeous, for her age" isn't anywhere as much of a compliment as "She is absolutely gorgeous."

If you don't believe me, next time you are with a young lady, say, "Wow, you are great, for your age."  See how that works out for you.

+1+1

33 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

Thanks for advocating for us older gents.  We don't need to be reminded of our age.  We live it every day.  Thankfully, some of us do our best to live fully, as best as we can.  I remember how "old" my dad seemed at my current age and I sure don't feel that old.  Though my body sometimes reminds me of my age, there are also times when my mind and spirit encourage me to feel younger than my years.  Being active in the hobby and on TOB also are also keeping me feeling younger than my years.  For that I am grateful.

For the Stones to be rockin' it in 2018/2019 is outstanding.

1 hour ago, BadBoy said:

It's called age shaming. I hurt my tender feelings. I'm gonna go cry now.:(

3 hours ago, BadBoy said:

BB not sure what you mean since I am 63 about age so what ever but as I said for their age still all together as a group they are the best.  who is grasshopper anyways bud????

14 minutes ago, petey-9950 said:

BB not sure what you mean since I am 63 about age so what ever but as I said for their age still all together as a group they are the best.  who is grasshopper anyways bud????

Still alive and playing. Rolling Stones. Maybe. But no way the best rock band ever.

They will be in Denver 5/26/19.    Tickets on sale 11/30 @ 10am....

i'll probably buy a pair...have not seen them live yet.

Edited by Winston_Smith

Based on longevity, onstage enthusiasm and Showmanship, variety of music and quality of performance hands down it's The Rolling Stones coming to Denver May 26th going to be a great show

No doubt that the Stones are a great band. I’m curious what the tickets will cost for this event.

I saw Elvis the last time he was in Denver in April 1976 at McNichols Arena.  Great show!

8 hours ago, ilovewomen said:

No doubt that the Stones are a great band. I’m curious what the tickets will cost for this event.

I saw Elvis the last time he was in Denver in April 1976 at McNichols Arena.  Great show!

Stones tickets are about 200 to 900, depending on the seating location. Kinda pricey for those of us on Social Security. :o

24 minutes ago, pfunk said:

Stones tickets are about 200 to 900, depending on the seating location. Kinda pricey for those of us on Social Security. :o

That's a far cry when I used to pay $25-$35 for a ticket.

Last concert I went to was Willie Nelson at Red Rocks back in the early 80's.  I think I paid $35 for him and thought that was expensive

The Stones are well worth the price. There is more energy in those 2 hours playing then most other bands. Im going. This is an event!

In 1985 I saw the Stones at Folsom Field, with George Thorogood and Heart as the warm up bands for $30. Best concert ever. Won’t be paying $900 to see them again. For that, I could spend the same amount of time with a lovely lady, which is definitely more my speed these days.

51 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

In 1985 I saw the Stones at Folsom Field, with George Thorogood and Heart as the warm up bands for $30. Best concert ever. Won’t be paying $900 to see them again. For that, I could spend the same amount of time with a lovely lady, which is definitely more my speed these days.

The Stones and George Thorogood...Now that would be a show!

Who knows, maybe I'll hit Powerball tonight and then I'll buy Stones tickets

Then who is? :)

12 hours ago, tide32 said:

Still alive and playing. Rolling Stones. Maybe. But no way the best rock band ever.

Saw the Rolling Stones in Fort Collins in 1969 with BB King as their opener.  Haven't seen a show since that even came close, although I was pretty medicated at the time.    

Been a fan forever. Saw them at Hughs Stadium in FC in 1975. Backup act was Charlie Daniels. Keyboards for Stones were Elton John and Billie Preston. Awesome show, especially after they got Elton out of Billie's way!! Best is a very subjective thing and I have been to a lot of concerts over the years, but they put on a hell of a show!

17 hours ago, average1 said:

... We live it every day.  Thankfully, some of us do our best to live fully, as best as we can.  I remember how "old" my dad seemed at my current age and I sure don't feel that old.  ...

Unfortunately, my dad “wasn’t” at my age. There are days when I feel old; there are days when I feel like a young whipper snapper.

But to quote that great philosopher, George Burns,

You’re only as old as the woman you feel!

6 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

Unfortunately, my dad “wasn’t” at my age. There are days when I feel old; there are days when I feel like a young whipper snapper.

I second that

Good food for thought!

The greatest rock band ever is truly in the ear of the beholder.  I saw the stones a bunch in my earlier years and at those times i thought they were the best band around.  But i could also say that about U2 (except for the zooropa year(s)).  And the grateful dead, and the Allman Brothers, and and and...

My vote would be for the Grateful Dead because of my experiences over the decades at their shows.  But.  There were some/many years where they sounded pretty bad.  Some/many that were timelessly amazing.  And they would get my vote as best ever.  Certainly most number of shows while they were together.

I would also throw AC/DC in that ring too.  Since the Back in Black album they have put out their type of music non-stop and continue to sell out stadiums around the world.  If you like their sound, they could be the best of all time? 

Then there's the Beatles - they seemed fairly popular while they were together?

Elvis too?

And I believe the Beatles and Elvis will top the most albums ever sold?

Stones will no doubt get the award for one of the greatest, if not the greatest, rock band that stood the test of time - Keith Richards is a medical marvel.

6 hours ago, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

Then who is? :)

It depends on what era you come from. I grew up in Ohio, so I was into bands like CCR, Stepenwolf, Grand Funk Railroad, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Queen and so many more. It's like saying , what was the best rock song.

You can't without catching hell.:)

6 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

Bit, next year I will be as old as my dad when he died.  His last few years were tough to watch, but he still had some heart and spirit, and showed by his actions the love he felt for people close to him.

Like you, there are some days when I really feel much younger than my age....and some days when I feel my years (in ways both mentally and physically).

I fully agree there are days when I feel "only as old as the woman I feel !"  George Burns and you got it so right. 

18 minutes ago, average1 said:

Bit, next year I will be as old as my dad when he died.  His last few years were tough to watch, but he still had some heart and spirit, and showed by his actions the love he felt for people close to him.

Like you, there are some days when I really feel much younger than my age....and some days when I feel my years (in ways both mentally and physically).

I fully agree there are days when I feel "only as old as the woman I feel !"  George Burns and you got it so right. 

When I think of mom and dad I listen to this one.

5 minutes ago, tide32 said:

When I think of mom and dad I listen to this one.

Gave me goose bumps, thank you for sharing that one.

2 hours ago, goodguy69 said:

Gave me goose bumps, thank you for sharing that one.

I quite agree! 

But now about that greatest rock band thing.

A band from whence came Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton.  I like the Stones, but come now.

3 hours ago, geodog said:

I may be the old guy on this thread, but I have been to a lot of concerts in Colorado, starting with the Beatles in 1964.  I saw the Stones in 1969 in FOCO, and again here in 1972, and then once more in 1985 (George Thorogood was MUCH better).  I also saw Led Zepplin at their first concert in Dec. 1968, and again in 1972. I have probably seen a few hundred concerts in Denver over the years, including the Dead, Clapton, Tull, Moody Blues, on and on, ad nauseum. I vote for Zep being the best R & R band to ever play Denver. but maybe technically they aren"t R & R... maybe they are really a Blues band.  In that case, I vote for Mountain...

ok  here we go -Zeppelin nassau coliseum when they first came out stairway to heaven.Humple pie , live at the fillmore east   ,Dave mason , Airplane when it turned to starship  free at central park.Hot Tuna, ELO,Alice cooper STONES   OMG THE STONES!!  Eric, Prince  OMG PRINCE..what a excellent concert   Jeff beck,robin trower, bb king  ,tull, moody blues,pink floyd when the wall came down i was in europe.....the band  DEEP PURPLE!!   manfred Mann.... still own lots of these albums there in good to fair shape

I Worked next to"electriclady land" in greenwich village  Saw Hendrix there  .. Beatles . Monkees,  Poco Harem ,  Diana  Ross was good also! 

Now this  is when i was in my early 20's..The list goes on....    I think all of them were outstanding 

Locally ..Steve crenshaw and michael horn buckle  THey Rock BLUES!!