goodguy69

Insomnia

29 posts in this topic

I was just curious how many others, suffer with this issue. I do not think I have had more than 4 hours sleep in any one night for over a year now, usually about 2 hours a night if I am lucky.

I usually go to bed around 10 and I usually wake up between 12 and 1 anymore.

Sure makes for long days and nights.

I have never had insomnia unless you consider getting toned out for calls and only getting a couple of hours of sleep . However i have sleep apnea which ised to make me think i was was getting sleep but not getting any true rest. I did not do anything about it until i fell asleep while driving and put my car into the guard rail at 65 mph. 

If you have not seeked medical help please do so.  Not sleeping just flat out sucks.

10 minutes ago, new2hobbying said:

I have never had insomnia unless you consider getting toned out for calls and only getting a couple of hours of sleep . However i have sleep apnea which ised to make me think i was was getting sleep but not getting any true rest. I did not do anything about it until i fell asleep while driving and put my car into the guard rail at 65 mph. 

If you have not seeked medical help please do so.  Not sleeping just flat out sucks.

I have woke up doing 65 down the center median before myself. Luckily I have never hit anyone or anything. I have and am currently seeking medical help, but so far it is not making any difference. And yes no sleep SUCKS...

Get your life in a good place, your headspace in a good place and sleep comes easily. Meditation and instead of focusing on issues...focus on your gratitude list. 

I’m sorry you aren’t sleeping and that has got to make for extremely long days. 

4 minutes ago, Laci French said:

Get your life in a good place, your headspace in a good place and sleep comes easily. Meditation and instead of focusing on issues...focus on your gratitude list. 

Everything Laci said.

I find a lot of times when I don't sleep well it is mental, too much on my mind, stress from work, homelife....I have to find ways to clear my mind before bed or sleep will be futile. Weather its meditation or something else, make sure your mind is clear before you lay your head down.

I also find exercise helps me. I sleep way better when I'm on an exercise regiment.

Get your mind and body in order and sleep will come.

3 hours ago, goodguy69 said:

I was just curious how many others, suffer with this issue. I do not think I have had more than 4 hours sleep in any one night for over a year now, usually about 2 hours a night if I am lucky.

Thanks for sharing this.  I also have sleep issues and can't take any sleep medication because of how they affect me.  So I've had to learn and practice a variety of things to improve my sleep, which still isn't the greatest.  Things like no caffeine after noon, progressive muscle relaxation, meditation techniques, including body scans are things that I have to work at and practice on a regular basis.  I hope you find some tools and techniques that work for you.  

52 minutes ago, Laci French said:

Laci, thanks for sharing this.  Meditation techniques that include gratitude are important.  We can spend so much time focusing on what is wrong, yet, if we are breathing, there is more "right" with us than "wrong".  I sometimes do a body scan meditation that includes naming various body parts and saying why I am grateful for them for....like "Thank you for my feet because the give me the ability to walk....thank you for my hands because they allow me to touch people in caring ways....stuff like that.  I even remember to say, "Thank you for my butt because it gives me something to sit and rest on."  ;)

And I have to say that I am also grateful for some ladies body parts....because they give me so much joy !!  :)

So sorry that sleep evades you as everyone has said geting your mind in the right place is key. I don't sleep a great deal four hours or so is usually more than enough has been for years since I had a job which often required extended periods of no sleep. Meditation practices self hypnosis exercise and distressing your life are really important if you wish to just totally relax your mind and body. Don't allow the lack of sleep to become a habit that is more difficult to break work on it now while you realize it's a problem. Best of luck I hope you get to sleep you want

This works for me: 

1.  Get at least one hour of real, honest, vigorous exercise every day, better to do 90 minutes.  Include aerobics and weights.

2.  No caffeine after 2:00 p.m.

3.  No alcohol (420 is OK).

4.  About an hour before bed, have a cup of Sleepytime Extra tea with Valerian (two bags per cup), and no more screen time.  Read a book, relax.

5.  Keep the bedroom cool and dark.

6.  Go to sleep instantly and sleep for seven hours.  If it still doesn't work, you might try throwing in a 3mg tablet of Melatonin in with the tea.

Edited by BadBoy

As we get older, sleep seems harder to come by.

I do love a good power nap 💤 

Bed by sundown.  Up at 11 or 12, take a whiz, drink some water, little TV, back to bed, repeat at 2, 3, and 4.  Up at 6, vigorous exercise.  All good.

1 hour ago, Laci French said:

29 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

This works for me: 

1.  Get at least one hour of real, honest, vigorous exercise every day, better to do 90 minutes.  Include aerobics and weights.

2.  No caffeine after 2:00 p.m.

3.  No alcohol (420 is OK).

4.  About an hour before bed, have a cup of Sleepytime Extra tea with Valerian (two bags per cup), and no more screen time.  Read a book, relax.

5.  Keep the bedroom cool and dark.

6.  Go to sleep instantly and sleep for seven hours.  If it still doesn't work, you might try throwing in a 3mg tablet of Melatonin in with the tea.

All pretty sound but will add:

1. See a doctor.  Talk honestly to doctor.  Many diseases have insomnia as early symptom.
  2. Exercise yes.  Vigorous - NOT until you work up to it - especially all you old farts. Bur sooner you start the better (improves sex too hehe)
  3. 420 is not only OK the right strain used responsibly (no driving, etc.) an hour before bedtime can be hugely helpful.  Ask your favorite pot shop for right strain
  4. No action thrillers at bedtime.
  5. White noise - add some background noise to blank out sirens, neighbor's ankle biter that barks all night, etc.
  6. And lastly, either get your insomnia under control to where you are not at risk of dozing off while driving or QUIT FUCKING DRIVING!!  The life you save may be mine.  Or a young family.  Or the girl that was going to find a cure for cancer.  If you have dozed off driving and have not gotten the condition under  control and continue to drive you are a self centered, inconsiderate asshat that hopefully ends up only killing yourself.

Ok, being properly chastised, without the offending part:

1. Go see a doctor.  Talk honestly to doctor.  Insomnia can be early symptom of many things
  2. Exercise.  Start slow and work up to more intense and beneficial exercise.  Helps sleep AND sex hehe
  3. No shows or movies that get your heart pounding in the evening.
  4. White noise to block out cars, sirens, ankle biter next door that barks all night, etc.
  5. natural sleep aids - google it!
  6. Most importantly - If you have experienced dozing off while driving or having to struggle to stay awake, and have not taken steps to get this under control QUIT F**KING DRIVING!!  The life you save may be mine.  Or a young family's.  Or the coed that was going to discover a cure for cancer.  If you continue to doze during driving and continue to drive while doing nothing about it you  are a self centered, inconsiderate asshat that hopefully only kills yourself when the inevitable happens.

16 minutes ago, gr8owl said:

QUIT F**KING DRIVING!!  The life you save may be mine.  Or a young family's.  Or the coed that was going to discover a cure for cancer.  If you continue to doze during driving and continue to drive while doing nothing about it you  are a self centered, inconsiderate asshat that hopefully only kills yourself when the inevitable happens.

Friends Tv Applause GIF

FYI i have not fallen asleep behind the wheel in over 20 yrs. I know if I am getting to tired to drive i get my ass off the road, and if you read my other post you would see i am seeking medical help for this issue, so thank you for the input..

31 minutes ago, johnnydog said:

Can't, even though it legal here know, my employer has written policies which do not allow it.

I went 9 months several years backwith no more than 20-30 minutes total a day.  I saw drs every 2-3 weeks to try something new.  Nothing helped, until doing research myself I figured out what was wrong with me. 

For me, it was taking a diurnal cortisol test from zrtlab.com and finding out my hormone levels were in the holy horse shit batman zone.  It ends up I have something that was often used on episodes of House MD as the mystery diagnosis.  

There are about a hundred different causes of insomnia, and there's no one size fits all.  For example, taking melatonin only helps if your specific issue is a melatonin deficiency.  To make it worse, taking melatonin supplements stops your body from making its own melatonin which can cause its own issues.

In my late 60's now, haven't slept more than 5 hours per night in the past 10 years, and that is usually interrupted with a couple of hours sleep, then a couple hours awake, then a little more sleep. Most days I am OK, but some days I am dragging my ass around so tired I can't get anything done. It is tedious and tiresome. Tried all the relaxation techniques, tried all the natural sleep aids, nothing seems to make any difference.

So when I wake up in the middle of the night I open a book and read for an hour or two, then I snooze a little bit more. Might be in bed for 7 or 8 hours, but only asleep for half that time.

Not very much about this getting older crap that I can recommend it.

This video has been helpful for a lot of people I know with insomnia issues.  It gives several different strategies.  Pay attention to the one on sleep compression.  It sucks to do but it works.  It's a long video, but she's a psychologist who has long struggled with insomnia herself.

I'm gonna stop whining when the alarm goes off. I'll say a prayer for you guys! 

On 11/18/2018 at 5:50 AM, goodguy69 said:

Have you tried all the tricks?  No TV in your bedroom, no napping during the day?  Doing something during the day that wears you out?  Going to bed at the same time each night to train your body when it's time to sleep?

4 minutes ago, Bravo1 said:

Have you tried all the tricks?  No TV in your bedroom, no napping during the day?  Doing something during the day that wears you out?  Going to bed at the same time each night to train your body when it's time to sleep?

Yep,

But I have cut out nicotene, now working on caffeine, and stress, and started new sleeping meds, which is all helping (was able to get 5 hours sleep last night).

Thank you everybody,

10 minutes ago, goodguy69 said:

Yep,

But I have cut out nicotene, now working on caffeine, and stress, and started new sleeping meds, which is all helping (was able to get 5 hours sleep last night).

Thank you everybody,

Glad you are finding some things that work for you.  Sometimes it is helpful to have multiple approaches and multiple tools to try.

I have a job that has built-in sleep deprivation at times but I've been fortunate enough to be one of those people who can fall asleep anywhere/anytime.  My problem is that I just don't sleep more than 5 hours.  If I'm absolutely exhausted I might have a rare night of sleeping for a solid 8 but I have to really wear myself out and then I'll sleep. 

On 11/18/2018 at 8:00 AM, goodguy69 said:

I have woke up doing 65 down the center median before myself. Luckily I have never hit anyone or anything. I have and am currently seeking medical help, but so far it is not making any difference. And yes no sleep SUCKS...

sending reiki your way! This is horrible