oldertruckguy-9225

Fun, quirkey, unique Thanksgiving traditions

7 posts in this topic

I am guessing all of us have fun, wacky maybe poignant family traditions centered around Thanksgiving. I thought it might be fun to share.

When my youngest sister was in the 2nd grade she came home from school one afternoon with three red head bands. Each headband had 2 feathers taped to the outside. One yellow feather and one brown feather. The headbands were "just like" the ones worn by the Indians at the original Thanksgiving Feast and she wanted me and my other sister  to wear the head bands with her at the dinner table during our Thanksgiving dinner. In front of all of the family and guests. At the time I was in the 8th grade and just waaaayyy to cool to be wearing stupid construction paper Indian headbands  for Thanksgiving. She begged and pleaded until mom finally relented and said the three us would wear them when we had dessert. She always was moms favorite :P I had torn mine into as many tiny pieces as I could tear. When dessert came and my sisters put the headbands on I dumped the pile of torn pieces of my headband on the table. My sister looked at the torn up pieces. She did not throw a fit. She just stood there with tears in her eyes. My 6th grade sister piped up and exclaimed, he is only teasing here is his real one. She had made another headband when she saw me tear up the original. She handed to me. She was always the wise one.:) I started to protest as only a waaayyy cool 8th grader can do and I got "that look" from mom. I wore the stupid headband. About 20 years ago mom was insistent that her three children final take all of their school, college, miscellaneous stuff from her basement to their own home.  I found the "extra" headband in one of those boxes. My sisters have theirs. My mother saved those headbands. Only she knows why. I guess that is what moms do.  For about 20 plus years now, every Thanksgiving, my sisters and I trade pics of each of us wearing those stupid construction paper headbands. My daughters and grandkids love it. My sisters  kids and grandkids love it.

Fun holiday food made with grandma's recipes. Family food and football😀😀🏈

I loves me some -----!--------------------TURKEY :confused:

When I was growing up, my family always went skiing on Thanksgiving Day and then went to a ski-area restaurant for turkey dinner.  It almost always was full of the local singles, lift attendants, waitresses, bartenders, housekeepers,  etc., who didn't want to be alone for Thanksgiving, and was always an amazing and warm family-like party.  It was a wonderful way to kick off the ski season and the Holiday Season. When my kids were in their teens we served dinner at the homeless shelters, and to this day they say that those were their favorite Thanksgivings.

Happy Holidays, you bunch of fascinating misfits and perverts!

Edited by BadBoy

4 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

Happy Holidays, you bunch of fascinating misfits and perverts!

Hey know, oh wait, that is an accurate description. Never mind.😊

Happy Hoidays.🦃🎄🎉

It's not all that strange but it's been a tradition in my family that everyone brings two dinner items that they are the best at making. My oldest sister is MacN7Cheese and All Berry Cheesecake. Next sister is Double Dare Deviled Eggs and Pumpkin Rolls. Third sis is Scotch Steamed Pepper Veggies and Mean Green Bean Casserole. I make Truffle Spinich Smooshed Spuds and LasEggNa (Eggplant Lasagna). My brother makes Jameson and Pabst Blue Ribbon appear lol. And we're supposed to pass off turkey duty every year but as soon as the sisters started having kids that became my job. I don't mind especially since they have to wrangle the kids all morning and now I can make a mean Beer Blasted Bacon Bondage Extra Stuffed Turkey to boot. It's a very wholesome and loving reminder of how much we really do care for each other, until the spouse not on kid duty from every pair gets "not my responsibility" drunk and then it's on like Donkey Kong.

On 11/9/2018 at 1:39 PM, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

I am guessing all of us have fun, wacky maybe poignant family traditions centered around Thanksgiving. I thought it might be fun to share.

When my youngest sister was in the 2nd grade she came home from school one afternoon with three red head bands. Each headband had 2 feathers taped to the outside. One yellow feather and one brown feather. The headbands were "just like" the ones worn by the Indians at the original Thanksgiving Feast and she wanted me and my other sister  to wear the head bands with her at the dinner table during our Thanksgiving dinner. In front of all of the family and guests. At the time I was in the 8th grade and just waaaayyy to cool to be wearing stupid construction paper Indian headbands  for Thanksgiving. She begged and pleaded until mom finally relented and said the three us would wear them when we had dessert. She always was moms favorite :P I had torn mine into as many tiny pieces as I could tear. When dessert came and my sisters put the headbands on I dumped the pile of torn pieces of my headband on the table. My sister looked at the torn up pieces. She did not throw a fit. She just stood there with tears in her eyes. My 6th grade sister piped up and exclaimed, he is only teasing here is his real one. She had made another headband when she saw me tear up the original. She handed to me. She was always the wise one.:) I started to protest as only a waaayyy cool 8th grader can do and I got "that look" from mom. I wore the stupid headband. About 20 years ago mom was insistent that her three children final take all of their school, college, miscellaneous stuff from her basement to their own home.  I found the "extra" headband in one of those boxes. My sisters have theirs. My mother saved those headbands. Only she knows why. I guess that is what moms do.  For about 20 plus years now, every Thanksgiving, my sisters and I trade pics of each of us wearing those stupid construction paper headbands. My daughters and grandkids love it. My sisters  kids and grandkids love it.

Love these kind of memories, they make my heart happy and my eyes tear up. Happy Turkey Day, to you and yours!