goodguy69

Thank a VETERAN

34 posts in this topic

Love this and thank you to all that have served and to the ones that paid the ultimate price. 

Yes yes yes. Thank a veteran for their service to our country and allowing us our freedoms. Thank you to all who have served in any capacity 

Everytime I am thanked for my service, I feel embarrassment. I was doing my civic responsibility to my country.

However, at the time I served, we were hated by most of the world it seems like. But still I performed my service proudly.

I wish all my fellow veterans, fallen comrades in arms (of which there are many) and all past, current and future armed service members, their families and everyone else a safe and happy Veterans Day.

Denver always has a Veterans Day parade and I plan on being there to observe it like I do every year. I urge everyone to go downtown and I observe the short parade honoring our veterans.

Edited by ilovewomen

4 minutes ago, ilovewomen said:

Everytime I am thanked for my service, I feel embarrassment. I was doing my civic responsibility to my country.

However, at the time I served, we were hated by most of the world it seems like. But still I performed my service proudly.

I wish all my fellow veterans, fallen comrades in arms (of which there are many) and all past, current and future armed service members, their families and everyone else a safe and happy Veterans Day.

Denver always has a Veterans Day parade and I plan on being there to observe it like I do every year. I urge everyone to go downtown and I observe the short parade honoring our veterans.

You should never be embarrassed for putting your life on the line to ensure the rest of us were able to grow up in a free country. Civic responsibility or not, you stepped up when others were protesting and hating the military. That is why I have so much respect for all service members and their families, as they were and are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice if necessary so the rest of us can live in a free country.

So I salute all who have, are, or will serve this great country. We owe you all a debt we will never be able to repay. So again, THANK YOU,  to you and your family.

Thank you and thank you to my friends and my fallen comrades who gave all so I  could come home.

I thank them for sons and granddaughters who would never have been

Edited by tide32

Like ILW, I have a bit of an “aw shucks!” feeling when thanked for performing my civic duty. But the truth of the matter is that it feels good considering the lack of appreciation (out right hatred?) my cohorts felt at the time of our service.

There’s a saying, “If you can read this, thank a teacher.  If it’s in English, thank a soldier.”

I am thankful to all my brothers & sisters, whether they sacrificed a few years or their all for our country.

The other day I was at a Lowes in Aurora. Up in the front parking area ,next to the disabled parking were two parking spaces that said," Veteran Only". I thought that was pretty dang cool. So to all you ladies and gentlemen who have served the people of this country ,a heart felt---Thank you for your service!

🇺🇸 🍀 🇺🇸 🍀 🇺🇸 🍀 🇺🇸 🍀 🇺🇸 🍀 🇺🇸

We can’t forget about the families of those who have served.  They have sacrificed as well.

2 hours ago, Jez UaBriain said:

The other day I was at a Lowes in Aurora. Up in the front parking area ,next to the disabled parking were two parking spaces that said," Veteran Only". I thought that was pretty dang cool. So to all you ladies and gentlemen who have served the people of this country ,a heart felt---Thank you for your service!

🇺🇸 🍀 🇺🇸 🍀 🇺🇸 🍀 🇺🇸 🍀 🇺🇸 🍀 🇺🇸

You are welcome.  Thank you for yours. :P

I was very upset; yesterday, I went to the store to buy some flags, two days before veterans day. I walked up and down aisle after aisle of Christmas and Thanksgiving junk.  Not a vetrans day flag to be found.  Finally, found them in the way back of the store next to the shipping supplies.

My heros wear combat boots.  Thank you to all that serve, and to the families that sacrifice for freedom.  

I spent some time in the UK this past year. What we call Veterans’ Day they refer to as Armistice Day. They are making a huge deal of the 100th anniversary this year.  Every small town I visited had a memorial listing those lost during The Great War.  When I was a child we sometimes used that name. I still remember a moment of silence at “the 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month”, to commemorate the cessation of hostilities on the Western Front, World War I.  The actual Treaty of Versailles wasn’t signed until the next year. In other Commonwealth nation’s it’s referred to as Rememberance Day.  Don’t forget your poppies.

I too feel a little strange when someone thanks me for my service.  I enlisted in the Army for reasons that are still unclear.  During my time in I travelled the world, met some of he best people I’ve ever known and some of the worst.  I’ve jumped out of airplanes at night, slept in the open in freezing rain, had crazy fun, learned a foreign language, received numerous commendations and one letter of reprimand.  I also was in the best shape of my life.  I never saw combat, but was deployed to some really bad areas as a peacekeeper for the UN. It completely changed my life and I’m incredibly grateful I did it , but I would never do it again.  The one thing I never felt it was though, was “service”.     I was paid to do a job and I did it. It’s not that I am ungrateful for the thanks that I occasionally receive, I am absolutely 1000% appreciative of that.  It just feels like people are thanking me for a noble sacrifice when at the time it was just me trying to figure out life.  That being said...Thank you to all my fellow veterans and thank you to everyone who is willing to take the time to be appreciative!

Appreciate those who serve and have served everyday one day is just not enough. Some of those who have served have made sacrifices both physically and mentally that most people cannot really fully understand God bless them all and God bless America

I appreciate the thanks but it was a privilege to serve a country I was proud to serve. Service gave me a direction and had a significant influence on making me the person I am now. Love Veteran's Day. When I used to ski I took the day off and it was the first day of the season to ski.

I will be taking my bestie out to dinner tonight to celebrate his Marine birthday,  Then my family is getting together to celebrate Veterans by remembering the ones who are gone, and then enjoying time together as my uncle who is a Vet will soon be passing. It seems to hit more the older you get. 

Thank you for all you have done, and enjoy the day. There are a lot places providing free food for Vets. Enjoy the generosity on your special day! :)

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

7 hours ago, Desperado said:

I too feel a little strange when someone thanks me for my service.  I enlisted in the Army for reasons that are still unclear.  During my time in I travelled the world, met some of he best people I’ve ever known and some of the worst.  I’ve jumped out of airplanes at night, slept in the open in freezing rain, had crazy fun,

learned a foreign language, received numerous commendations and one letter of reprimand.  I also was in the best shape of my life.  I never saw combat, but was deployed to some really bad areas as a peacekeeper for the UN. It completely changed my life and I’m incredibly grateful I did it , but I would never do it again.  The one thing I never felt it was though, was “service”.     I was paid to do a job and I did it. It’s not that I am ungrateful for the thanks that I occasionally receive, I am absolutely 1000% appreciative of that.  It just feels like people are thanking me for a noble sacrifice when at the time it was just me trying to figure out life.  That being said...Thank you to all my fellow veterans and thank you to everyone who is willing to take the time to be appreciative!

Desparodo, maybe I can give you a different perspective. Many people, if they weren't forced to by the draft,go into the armed services to figure out what they are going to do for the rest of their lives. However, even though you may have served during non- war years, the strong possibility to be called up to give the ultimate sacrifice to protect the people,and this great country- Is  a possibility. Fortunately,it didn't happen to you. But once you enlist, your life is forfeit until you get your discharge papers. So , thank you for your service. 

I am incredibly thankful for the men and women who serve and sacrifice.  I have walked the grounds of Arlington National Cemetery and been humbled by the endless rows of crosses of those who paid the ultimate price for my freedom.  Thank you all!  

arlington-national-cemetery-us-military-

Edited by TheFinerThings

May we Never Forget those that paid the ultimate price for the freedom we enjoy today!

Semper fi

BR

To any and all who may have served in the 57th Medical Detachment "The Original Dustoff " Thank You!!  And Welcome Home

Pop Smoke I'm coming in hot

Thanks is not nearly enough but thank you all (our wonderful vets)for protecting us. :)

Also want to take a moment and give thanks   to all the military dogs that have served and those that never came home. 

On 11/10/2018 at 5:47 AM, Bit Banger said:

I spent some time in the UK this past year. What we call Veterans’ Day they refer to as Armistice Day. They are making a huge deal of the 100th anniversary this year.  Every small town I visited had a memorial listing those lost during The Great War.  When I was a child we sometimes used that name. I still remember a moment of silence at “the 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month”, to commemorate the cessation of hostilities on the Western Front, World War I.  The actual Treaty of Versailles wasn’t signed until the next year. In other Commonwealth nation’s it’s referred to as Rememberance Day.  Don’t forget your poppies.

As a vet, I would prefer it remained as Armistice Day.  I don't think about my service today, I think about a hundred years ago, those that fought in such a horrific war.

I also feel sorry for the poor servers at restaurants today that try to do a good thing, and end up getting abused by REMFs or non-vets who cause such a stink the restaurants don't ask for any proof of service.